Recomendations for a base truck/suv to build on

awoodsman

I am looking into building an expedition rig for Camping, Photography, and fishing across North America based in Central Indiana.
As such, I am seeking recommendations for a truck or SUV. I need the following:

• 4x4
  • A/C
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Towing capacity of 8,000 lbs (travel trailer)
  • Daily Driver

Can anyone provide some recommendations (yr/make/model) to look for?

ExpoMike

With your tow requirement of 8000 lbs. you are going to be looking at a full size rig (likely 3/4 ton), wether truck or SUV. If you want anything that gets decent mileage, you are likely going to be looking at a diesel rig. I am not sure what your daily driver requirements entail but a full size, diesel rig will likely not be practical.

I am not going to get into the brand/model discussion as there are a lot of rigs that fall into the catagory but every one has pluses and minuses. You will want to do your research. Good luck on your search.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Check out my truck. Fits the criteria. What is your budget? While a diesel might not be necessary, you know what they say.... nothing exceeds like excess. :elkgrin:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
2001+ Ford Superduty. (but not the 6.0 or 6.4L Diesels) A few quirks with the engines, 3v gassers rattle and tick like a time bomb, but overall very, very solid trucks.

Suspension is infinately tuneable. Good axles. Mostly decent transmissions that are reasonable to rebuild.

I just picked up a Buyers pintle mount with a pintle ball and a 14" shank, with about 12" of up/down adjustment by bolting the pintle on higher or lower. Curty has a similar thing, but not made in US.

oldestof11

Observer
I would look into a 6.0L Ford and delete the EGR and tune it mildly for economy. My brothers is a beast and he hasn't had a problem with the 2 years he has owned it that wasn't owner induced (bad battery and fuel filter made for a very poor start). The 5R110 trans is a beast and you can find a clean 06 for less the $15k.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off I would like to say welcome to the forum Awoodsman. I am an old school Chevy guy so my oppinion is biased in thaty direction. There are lots of helpfull people here on Expo so I am sure you can get the info you need. Cheers, Chilli.:)

awoodsman

Thanks for the advice everyone! Any thoughts for going old school? Say like a '70s Suburban (which is my wife's dream car. How lucky am I :elkgrin: )?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You are very lucky, but unless you put a modern drive train in that old Suburban, I don't think it will mesh well with the rest of your wish list... Swap in a 12 valve Cummins with 5 or 6 speed manual? Sounds great, but if you live in a city, it might suck for DD. I think you should check out Larry's thread on his 78 K truck. It is an awesome truck with modern running gear. You could do something similar with a Suburban.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I suck at posting links, so I bumped Larry's thread (recent upgrades to a 33 yr old...) for you:sombrero:

awoodsman

Interesting. I should add that my current DD is a 97 Chevy C2500 (350 ci/2WD). It does well but towing I top out around 60 MPH and large grades really slow me down, I don't work in downtown Indy and my commute is only about 20 mins so I don't think it should be too much of an issue. I need an Automatic though, as stop & go traffic kills my knee from an old construction site accident.

gmcpimpin

Observer
Interesting. I should add that my current DD is a 97 Chevy C2500 (350 ci/2WD). It does well but towing I top out around 60 MPH and large grades really slow me down, I don't work in downtown Indy and my commute is only about 20 mins so I don't think it should be too much of an issue. I need an Automatic though, as stop & go traffic kills my knee from an old construction site accident.
I think a 2500 suburban with ethier the 8.1 Big block or the 6.0 small block would suit your needs. Robust 4x4 vehicles with an automatic transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior