Has anybody used a Kelty Car Port Deluxe?

STREGA

Explorer
I'am looking for some type of shelter while out camping and came across this on Keltys web site. What I liked about it is that it will fit in the smallish area that I have available for it in my FJ Cruiser (packed size is about 27" long, 8" diameter and weighs about 12 lbs. The only thing I don't like about it so far is the price-$320 msrp, have found one place that has it for $278 inc. shipping which is still pretty high, but if it's decent quality and works then I'am more likely to pull the trigger on it.

So I guess my questions are if you have one or have used one in the past what are your thoughts on it? How easy is it to set up and take down? overall quality of it? Thanks in advance Doug.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Its been a few years now since we owned and used our Kelty Car Port Deluxe but its a good design for its intended purpose; made from quality materials; easy and quick to attach to a vehicle (some type of roof attachment and/or roof rack will be needed for this application); after the initial set-up its relatively quick and easy to set-up by one person; very stable even in windy conditions; and doesn't require an inordinate amount of packed space (about the same as a typical 2-3 person backpacking tent).

Bottom line: If I had use for such an awing again I'd have zero reservation purchasing one again.

HTH

Attachments

• AT Horizon Kelty Carport DV.jpg
    AT Horizon Kelty Carport DV.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 187
  • AT Horizon with Kelty Carport.jpg
    AT Horizon with Kelty Carport.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 172

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I had one and sold it, as it was a serious pain in the neck to set up. Way too much detail for me.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I just got mine, I use it at bike races for shade and rain protection. I can set mine up alone in less than 10 minutes. I even use it as a stand alone, just put the poles at the end that attaches to the truck rack. I got mine used, and even without directions was able to put it together.... sorry no pictures. One thing, mine is the medium, but I am happy since when I attach it off the back in a parking lot, it limits how much I expend into the adjoining spaces.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got one of the ones they now call the medium size without the sidewalls and haven't used it in quite a while. Kind of a pain to set up, lightweight and the window cover/flap is on the inside so when it rains the water goes inside. It'd be fine for sunny weather but sucks in the rain. They show up on ebay for less than retail; I think I paid around $50 for mine there. The $35 Walmart shade works as well, is larger and doesn't have the window so I use it more often on the VW; on the truck I actually I use an ENO tarp the most.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
Thread replies

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'am leaning towards getting one mainly because of space limitations that I have. As I stated in the OP the price was a little steep but if it will do what I need and hold up for a few years then I'am ok with it. I haven't been able to find much of anything else out there (and I was at the Expo this year) that will provide shelter, some privacy for the better half, withstand wind and be able to stand up under, but still fit a very small space when packed away in the FJ. Finding quite a few that will do one thing but not both, in frustration I bought a small EZ up style shelter from Wal Mart and it broke the first time we used it so it went back.

Ranchero

Wanderer
I've been using mine for about 4-5 years. Takes <10 minutes to set up. Works great for shade and light rain. Had an issue with a torn seam after year 2 or 3. Kelty fixed it at no cost.

kcfunke

Strega,

I have used one on my FJ for a few years now. They are little difficult setup until you get the hang of it, but it works well for privacy and does well in the wind if it used as a carport and not an awning.

STREGA

Explorer
Bought a used one

Meant to post up sooner (been under the weather this week) that I purchased a used car port from a forum member (thanks hoser). My wife and I set it up last Sunday which took us about 20 minutes for the first time, I think we can get it down to 10 minutes with a little more practice. Overall I'am very happy with the Car Port, it fits the FJ well length and height wise. I can open both doors without hitting the tent material, has good privacy and makes quite a bit of shade. Now to get it out in the back country and see how it does! :wings:

JackW

Explorer
I've used one for a few years - it takes a few times to learn how to set it up but after you've done it around six times you get the hang of it - under ten minutes but easier if you can recruit a second pair of hands.

They act like a big sail - make sure its firmly attached to whatever you strap it to.

Here's mine in use last weekend as an awning:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles