Realize My Life Has Changed Help

resqd1

Adventurer
I have always been very active and to the extreme always. I race downhill, I dirtbike, I have had dreams of my prerunner truck, I love rock crawling etc.

No with wife and two little boys 6 months and 2.5 yr old. I have come to the realization that I need to shift my toy play into "family stuff". I am wanting to have the weekend toy that can go into the sierra's and hit the 4x4 trails, but also unlike a jeep, be able to head out into the desert and run the trails quick. We love camping kayaking biking etc so I know we will use this vehicle, the question is, what to build around?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
double cab tacoma
suburban
4dr trooper/montero (might be a bit small)

My first pick would be the tacoma for the fuel mileage and the bed to carry stuff.
Kids can make for a great time in the backcountry as long as you have some bikes for them, some outdoor play toys and take it slow so they get to play in the dirt as much as possible.
Also a portable propane fire pit is worth it in the sense there is no nasty smoke to deal with an no sparks to fly around, plus you get a fire even when there are restrictions.

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Welcome to my world. I am exactly in your shoes except with a 6 month lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kraqus

Norcalwood
I had a Jeep Wrangler TJ for weekend fun and a small Toyota PU (22R) as a daily driver.
After my daughter was born I quickly realized the same thing. I needed a Better vehicle to accommodate the family.
I chose a Double Cab Toyota Tacoma and I have to say it was the right decision for me.

Benny

chasespeed

Explorer
I have 3 daughters as of June.. my 2 oldest are 8 and 9, with a 2 month old. They fit in my Rodeo fine.... for now.

I would say Trooper w/ 5spd, a Montero, or Cruiser. 4dr Taco, etc

I had a Troop... pretty big on the inside. Loved that truck.

A family of 4.... thats easy..... its when you get that third little one, that vehicle choices become more limited.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
I poked around on lot on this topic (I have a wife, 5 year old and 2 year old myself). The consensus from my questions/research seemed to be that, while the kids are young anyway, a Trooper/Montero type vehicle may work just fine. But if you've got a lot of toys and/or when the kids start getting bigger, a Suburban/Excursion makes a whole heck of a lot of sense. A nice sized 4 door pickup is also a possibility and combining an adventure trailer with a smaller vehicle is another option.

I was pretty hot to pick up a Trooper/Montero but decided that it just wasn't going to be big enough for all the stuff I wanted to eventually bring (guns, targets, fishing gear, clays, sports equipment, possibly a dog some day, various gear that I don't need but that keeps the wife happy, etc.). So I'm planning to make due with my mid-sized crossover for now and build a mild Suburban in a few years when the boys get bigger and we start taking longer, more gear intensive trips.

Given that you want to be able to run the trails quickly at certain times and also be able to haul your family with a bunch of gear at other times, maybe pairing an adventure trailer with a mid-sized vehicle would be a good fit for you?

Good luck.

resqd1

Adventurer
I have always been a Ford guy and wish they made the ranger, not the explorer sporttrac in a 4dr version. Wife is a toyota gal. She has a sport edition 4runner but wont let me drag it through the brush in the hills :)Thanks for the info guys, any other suggestions? keeping in mind being able to do a substantial speed in the desert too. Also a propane fireplace? what?

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:

resqd1

Adventurer
A lot of those are pretty big to be crawling around the hills with though on jeep trails. I have a supercrew f150 with the 6.5 ft bed that I want to long travel out, but there is no way it would ever make it rock crawling :)

resqd1

Adventurer
Yeah want to do both :) hence the need for some insight into anyone with another vehicle that they think can handle both :)

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
I have 2 boys (2 yrs and 7 yrs) and the double cab tacoma was my choice. After 6 years of owning the truck, adding long travel and some other goodies, it is still an absolute blast to drive around town and out on the trails. I can remove the camper when we have to haul larger loads and put it back on for the dog.

daPitbull

Adventurer
I also have a 2 yr 8 mos boy and an 8 mos girl. I have an 08' 4runner that works well. Get a good roof rack and/or roof box, it will help with packing in all the stuff they require.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles