Springbar Tent--Which Size?

Prichard

Hi everyone, I've just discovered this forum and have found it to be a great resource. I'm looking for a new tent and lots of helpful posts have guided me towards the Springbars. I just need to decide which size to get--I've only ever used small backpacking tents before, so my experience with larger tents is nil.

I'm a youngish guy, don't have a family and will be using it mostly with my girlfriend. But I'm thinking we may be living out of it for many days/weeks at a time and I'd like all the space we need for mattress or cot, gear and maybe a table and chairs etc inside if it's raining. I'm not really too worried about the price differences, as I'm hoping to keep this tent for many years. I already have a good 2-3 person backpacking tent, so the whole point of this was to get something roomy. Seems like the logical choice is the 10 x 10 Traveler, but it didn't look terribly big in the photos I've seen. Am I crazy for even entertaining the 10 x 14 Family Tent? How do you folks with these larger canvas tents feel about the size, if you're not bringing along any kids? It's really hard for me to figure out the sizes without seeing them in person.

The drawbacks for a too-small tent seem obvious, and I'm guessing the downsides for a too-big one are weight and space, as well as finding adequate space to pitch it in rough terrain or where there's a tent platform. Opinions?

Thanks!

Honu

lost on the mainland
do you live near a cabelas or sportsmans warehouse ? they have kodiak where you can see them in person
I lived 6 months straight out of a two man tent when I was 30 :)
I like room and size in a tent the dif of pack size of a 10x10 is not so huge that a 10x14 is going to get in the way
I usually wish I had more room than less room

notice the I :) my opinion only so guess you have to think and decide what ya want
not sure where you live rainy area cold area hot area etc..

have you looked into RTT with annex rooms ? they are really nice also

Prichard

Thanks for the input... Unfortunately I'm in Europe right now and coming back to the US next month for a trip to Yosemite, so I want to order my tent before I'll get a chance to see one anywhere. We'll be based out of Austin this winter and using it mostly in the West.

RTTs do look really nice... But I don't think we want to put them on the roof of my girlfriend's 99 Malibu. I'm looking into getting a 4WD vehicle next--but that's gonna be a much longer and more difficult decision! I've been camping on the ground since I was a Boy Scout and I don't mind doing it a few years longer, even if I do get a RTT later on.

Honu

lost on the mainland
some of the autohome RTT would be fine on a car
for two people
http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php
just a option but you are not going to move it from country to country ?

also not sure how much traveling you plan with the tent or if you are from EU and coming over for a few years or a US guy over there for a bit cause the way you say based ? but the canvas tents are larger and heavier by a good margin so look into that depending on your living travel plans etc..

I can say one thing look close the floor size of the 10x14 and the roof size forgot the exact compared to the 10x10 and the roof size
cause lets say the roof size of the 10x10 is 7 feet wide the roof size of the 10x14 is only like 9 feet again not exact just rough idea
so the angle of the walls of the 10x14 are a bit steeper making that extra 2 feet on each side a bit less useable as far as things up next to it
shoving a cot or inflatable bed up to it wont be a issue as both are so low wont matter so you really do gain the floor space but for standing room or good example putting a table up against one wall you loose a bit on the one side of the 10x14 ? again not much but worth looking at when you see pics notice that and think how you plan to use it
the door sides are the same angle

I am not sure if springbar can send you the lengths of the roofs ? but might be a idea to ask them :)

BBQ BOY

I just received my 10x14 Kodiak tent today. I put our cots inside, which are very large cots and its great. there may be room for a table and a couple small chairs if using sleeping bags or smaller cots. if it were just me and a friend camping or just me and the wife, I still would like to have the 10x14 for a eating table and chairs. The extra room would be great if the weather is inclimate and you need to hang out inside. I still want to get a smaller Springbar though.
P.S. i will be getting the vestibule that Kodiak offers. Will be a great place to keep our stove, chairs and gear.
hhttp://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=1830

Cabelas Outfitter XL with Cabelas deluxe cot pad, which this set up will be for company at home.
Disc-O-Bed Cam-o-cot
7F4E71B3-981F-4A1F-BF52-CA9B6B550128-1613-000000ADD3CF5F23.jpg

03F509F4-D563-467E-B603-06758716E1CA-1613-000000ADE47F8B6F.jpg

26FB5247-6494-4C07-A58A-CF01301F3DC4-1613-000000AE0ABF980C.jpg

2FC7630C-928F-492E-A7A6-EC33FD5BCF23-1613-000000B37C2A9638.jpg

41BD9A7F-25BB-42F2-B5A0-8D9581ACA593-1613-000000B38F5445B7.jpg

8C9DC58A-7EC2-46E8-B9EF-33925EC78450-1613-000000B3BCFB6099.jpg

wyojoe

Adventurer
Like the others have said, I also believe the bigger one would be the better choice overall based on your description of how you plan to use it. I have a Cabelas Alaknak II wall tent that is 12x20, and once you put in cots, a table and benches or chairs, and some other stuff (luggage, etc.), it fills up fairly quickly. The 12x20 is okay for four or five people for an extended stay, but that's with straight walls. With the slanted walls of the Springbar, you gain floor space down low, but not as much standing room up higher.

If you opt for the smaller tent (or maybe even with the larger one), you may wish to purchase cot chairs (Cabelas has them), and put the table between your cots, using the cot chairs as seats. Here's a link (I hope it works):

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...tt=cot+chair&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Honu

lost on the mainland
BBQ Boy :) cool setup loved our bunk cots they are comfy arent they :)
also in ours we had two sets one on each side ;)

one thing about that setup if it was pouring drop the bunk into the couch which is easy and you have a nice couch and a place to play cards in between etc..

BBQ BOY

BBQ Boy :) cool setup loved our bunk cots they are comfy arent they :)
also in ours we had two sets one on each side ;)

one thing about that setup if it was pouring drop the bunk into the couch which is easy and you have a nice couch and a place to play cards in between etc..
yea, I plan on getting another bunk set for when the wife and baby decide to come along. I wish the tent was bigger for when the entire family camps with me.

Prichard

Thanks everybody! This had been really helpful, especially the pictures. I've started to realize 10 x 10 isn't as huge as I thought it would be. I've decided to go for the 10 x 14 foot tent. It's 77 lbs but the 10 x10 is 62 lbs, not exactly a featherweight anyway. Good point about the sloping walls too, Honu.

I don't know whether I'll really be sitting with table and chairs in my tent, but after many nights huddled in low backpacking tents the idea has a nice ring to it. I guess it's nice to have the option. I'm going to get the portico too, so I guess in fair weather my table/chairs can hang out there.

Going to order my tent ASAP. Unfortunately Springbar isn't shipping for a week or two, I don't know if it's summer shortages or Burning Man or what...

I noticed all you folks have cots. Does everybody around here use individual cots rather than a big air mattress on the ground?

BBQ BOY

Yea, you lose a lot of room with the sloping walls. I think you will be really happy with the 10x14. I like air mattresses but at the same time, I wont use them anymore after laying on my cots. The air mattresses take up A LOT of valuable floor space. With a cot, you can slide your bags and gear under the cot, freeing up floor space.
As far as the weight, half of the weight comes from the poles and other hardware supplied for the tent. You will be amazed as to how heavy they are. They are bagged separately making it MUCH MUCH easier to carry.

brentbba

Explorer
From what you describe your use will be, I think you've made a great choice going with the bigger tent. I own the 10x10 Springbar for must me and at times I think it's too big for just me, but I like the room! Buddy of mine has the 10x14 Springbar and it seems HUGE by comparison to mine. Since there will be the two of you and you want a table and perhaps a chair or two the larger tent will fit your needs very well.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hey Prichard, I have the privilege of Kirkham's being local to me and can attest to their knowledgeable staff and great quality, you will not be disappointed. But also due to their local selling power there are usually a half dozen of them in the local classifieds that can save you a few hundred dollars. Take a look here http://www.ksl.com/?nid=47 and type in "tent" or "springbar" to find them, I could even pick it up and ship it out if the seller is unwilling. The great thing about the springbar tents is that you can still get parts for their tents made over 40 years ago. Let me know if I can help out.

Ramjet

Explorer
Hey Prichard, I have the privilege of Kirkham's being local to me and can attest to their knowledgeable staff and great quality, you will not be disappointed. But also due to their local selling power there are usually a half dozen of them in the local classifieds that can save you a few hundred dollars. Take a look here http://www.ksl.com/?nid=47 and type in "tent" or "springbar" to find them, I could even pick it up and ship it out if the seller is unwilling. The great thing about the springbar tents is that you can still get parts for their tents made over 40 years ago. Let me know if I can help out.

Dude, sweet. Thank you so much for this info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior