Dodge RAM 1500 gets V6 for 2013

haven

Expedition Leader
Federal fuel economy rules are making pickup truck manufacturers search for ways to improve the MPG performance of their trucks. For 2013, the RAM 1500 pickup gets an optional 3.6L V6 and 8 speed automatic, plus some aerodynamic tricks. The result is an impressive EPA sticker of 18 mpg city, 25 highway for the 2WD truck.

Reviews of the truck with the new powertrain are mostly positive. Here are a few
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/24/2013-ram-1500-crew-cab-slt-4x4-first-drive-review-video
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/08/first-drive-2013-ram-1500.html
http://www.insideline.com/ram/ram-pickup-1500/2013/2013-ram-1500-first-drive.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ram-1500-first-drive-review

This engine isn't the best choice for towing. The 5.7L V8 is still available if towing is a big part of how you'd use the truck. The V8 gets an 8 speed trans in a few months, a combination that's probably worth waiting for However, for the majority of people who buy a 1500 series truck, the V6 and 8 speed makes a fine choice. Unfortunately, the V6 and 8 speed combination is a $1000 option.

OK, Dodge, how about a small displacement diesel engine for the newly aerodynamic RAM? The 3.0L V6 diesel coming to the Grand Cherokee would provide 130 ft-lb more than the V6, at a much lower rpm, and would get similar (if not better) MPG.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That direct injected 3.6L is a great engine. It should work well in a Ram 1500. Not too sure about that 8 speed transmission with an electric range selector though. Funny how Ram is touting that the electric shift range shifter is used on medium duty trucks with great success. The reason I find that funny is because the I am an account manager for an OEM truck manufacturer and my main customer is removing the electric shift on all of their Allison equipped trucks to retrofit them to cable operated shifters. I guess they got tired of the things not shifting while they have to offload their freight, pay late delivery fees to their customers then pay tow trucks to carry them back to the depot or dealers for repair. Look at all of the electric shift 4x4 issues....now they want to have an electric shift transmission. Their crazy! I am not surprised that the 3.6L mated to a 8 speed is a premium upgrade as the transmission is not an in-house Chrysler transmission. They are passing their acquisition cost onto the customer that buys one.

I am still not in the boat with agreement that small diesels are the answer. Once people see how much they will cost we’ll see how many really laydown the premium dollars for one. If I said it once, I’ve said it 100 times here. New modern diesels in the US are not worth purchasing. Inception cost is up, maintenance is up, mileage is down, and reliability and long term durability are down. One can buy a lot of gas for the cost it takes to buy and maintain a diesel. Even fleet customers that used to be prodiesel are moving back to gas in GVWR ranges where gas in an option. I do predict Ram will be the first to bring a small diesel to market in the 1500 trucks though.

haven

Expedition Leader
It's true that diesel may not be a cost effective choice if you have to pay $8500 extra to get it. Ford is set to offer the V10 gas engine again in the F650 medium duty truck just for this reason.

Mercedes has the right idea -- they charge $2000 _less_ for the diesel in the GL Class and the S Class sedan than for the V8. In the E Class sedan, the 3.0l diesel costs only $700 more than the base V6 gas engine.

Let's hope Detriot is paying attention.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Actually, I believe Nissan will be the first to sell a 1/2 ton diesel pickup. I guess we'll see. :)

You could very well be right. Lots of rumors floating around the industry where Nissan has been getting tight with Cummins. A small diesel would actually make some sense in Nissan’s new NV3500 cargo/passenger van but could easily be fitted into a Titan. It would also be reasonable as Nissan has the slowest selling light duty fullsize truck on the market where they need to punt and do something drastic on a gamble to attract conquest purchasers. On the other hand, Chrysler Group, LLC has access to several decent small displacement Fiat/Iveco diesels that would be a quick to market product outside of the US diesel emissions hoops to jump through, which takes 3 forevers and 5 dump truck loads of cash for certification! We’ll see who is wise, bold, foolish or just plain hard up for a few sales to be different to offer a light duty diesel first. It won't be GM or Ford, as they are wise enough of the industry to know light diesels are too risky of gamble. Chrysler and Nissan are just bold and hard up enough to take that gamble.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Guess it follows suit with Ford with their Eco-boost. my uncle traded in his new silverado for the f150 & says he loves it, better gas mileage & just as much power

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Lots of rumors floating around the industry where Nissan has been getting tight with Cummins.

Why wouldn't Nissan just use one of their own diesels? Cost to get them past the stupid import laws? I own three made in USA or Canada rigs, and LOVE Cummins, but Nissan builds great diesels too. You'd think keeping it in house would cost less in the long haul.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I am still not in the boat with agreement that small diesels are the answer. Once people see how much they will cost we’ll see how many really laydown the premium dollars for one. If I said it once, I’ve said it 100 times here. New modern diesels in the US are not worth purchasing. Inception cost is up, maintenance is up, mileage is down, and reliability and long term durability are down. One can buy a lot of gas for the cost it takes to buy and maintain a diesel. Even fleet customers that used to be prodiesel are moving back to gas in GVWR ranges where gas in an option.

Yes. I know this has been argued time and time again here and elsewhere, but diesels are only popular in Europe because the fuel prices are so much higher there, and the added cost is worth it. Here, our fuel prices are nowhere high enough to justify the extra expense of a diesel, except for working vehicles which need extra towing ability, etc. Look at the VW diesel cars, they are being equaled or surpassed by gas or hybrid vehicles at a lesser cost for the vehicle and the fuel.

There is a possible advantage in WVO vehicles, but as far as I know, modern high pressure diesels can't use that. . . ?

David

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Ram is putting its greatest foot forward as it distances itself from Dodge. The 2013 Ram 1500 is, by all accounts, tough as nails. And it squeezes more miles out of a gallon than any full-size pickup before it.

I'm pretty sure ram is still just as much part I dodge as it has always been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94