Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Good looking combo!

It sure would look great with matching paint and wheels " they are 5 bolt "
Keep us posted on how it handles.

OGL

Observer
Thanks all!

I agree with painting it green like the car. I also envision updating the Starcraft design with something more suitably modern and "swooshy".

As far as wheels...probably not gonna happen. Not only would it require many more mods to the trailer, the cost of OEM wheels is just too much. I bought a full size spare from Tire Rack and got the cheapest available. I've already sunk more money into the trailer and Subaru than might be rational. But oh well. It's fun!

It tows perfectly! The leaf springs take bumps much better than the old torsion axle and the shocks keep everything rock solid. For the record, I'm not taking a stance on the leaf vs torsion debate. It's quite possible my old axle simply had the spring sprung out of it. It had no movement left. No travel and quite bouncy.

We'll have a nice easy 5000 mile shakedown cruise in September. I'll report back.:smiley_drive:

TFRI

Observer
My "overlander" is complete.

2012-08-28

This forum has been a true source of inspiration and information. Thanks to you all!

While clearly my rig is not in the class of most of your off road rides, I'm quite confident it will get me to places it wouldn't have gone before. There were some driveways I wouldn't have cleared.

I'd show some underside pics but they're pathetic. This project was the first time I've ever even held a welder. The seams look like a monkey barfed up a bunch of solder. But it's solid.

Thanks again and I'll post pics of our trip in September.

Were you at the Tuweep, AZ, Campground a few weeks ago?

OGL

Observer
In fact I was. I don't recall seeing a Jeep there, other than our neighbor who was from NY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior