Praise for Lexus GX470, GX460

Nav IMO is a waste of money. You can update GIAA every few weeks on your I pad, load and build trips. Nav in the dash will get outdated and cost more than a new I pad. I have no experience with KDSS but hear it works great on the road. I prefer my trucks to work better off road. Its just something else that isn't really needed and is harder to put sliders on the truck and how well it work with an aftermarket suspension system?

I plan on a GX for my next truck and yes a neused GX will run me 40K+, people ask if I'd really take a 40K truck on the trail? Heck yeah that's what it is designed for! I wished I could get a stripped down version but they are not available. If I could find the right new one, say base model at 50K I would consider it hard.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Did Toyota update the traction control system on the GX?

The GX470 required a massive amount of wheelspin before the system actually did its thing.

I actually took one home on a long test drive and liked everything else about it.

Yeah yeah its a 4runner with Lexus badging but
It looks better modded(imo)
Unique when setup for the trail(crazy what a running board delete does for looks)
You don't have to sift through the different 4runner models to get what you want(4wd) which makes shopping down south easier(more 2wd).

Just didn't like the 4wd system on it(too laggy). Kind of weird that looking through youtube videos at A-trac how much better it seemed to work on the 4runner and seems like a simple update would solve it.

soulbazz

Hi all, I'm new to the Toyota/Lexus world. Is there an obvious visual way to tell if a vehicle is equiped with KDSS without looking under the car? Badging or an interior button of some sort. I'm looking at purchasing a vehicle online and not a lot of sellers mention KDSS or have a picture of the underside of the vehicle.

Thanks in advance and thanks to the OP for the nice summary of models.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Spend some time checking out the GX section at Clublexus.com. As I recall, KDSS came on the "sport" package. That package has a dark/black wood interior versus the lighter color wood on other GX models. Sport package models are pretty rare. i don't know the number, but I am sure it is well under 10%.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/566918-how-to-identify-a-sport-package-gx.html

125408d1213150905-any-more-pics-of-sport-package-kdss-img_0469-smaller.jpg

JLee

Adventurer
Hi all, I'm new to the Toyota/Lexus world. Is there an obvious visual way to tell if a vehicle is equiped with KDSS without looking under the car? Badging or an interior button of some sort. I'm looking at purchasing a vehicle online and not a lot of sellers mention KDSS or have a picture of the underside of the vehicle.

Thanks in advance and thanks to the OP for the nice summary of models.

With the key "on" and the vehicle off, you should see a KDSS light on the dash. Example:

tYKxhbO.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles