Praise for Lexus GX470, GX460

haven

Expedition Leader
Praise for the USA version of the Prado! The Lexus GX470 and newer GX460 are based on the Prado. These models are quite capable off-road right off the showroom floor. If you want more, the Prado is well supported by ARB and other Australian manufacturers.

Prices for some used Lexus GX470 models are below $20K now.

There are a few build threads for GX470 on ExPo, including
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75987-THE-BUNDU-GEAR-BUILD-LEXUS-GX470
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/67034-The-Time-Has-Come-My-GX-build

And here's a forum member's build, on another site
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4266

A few notes about Lexus GX series

based on Toyota Land Cruiser Prado four door
body on frame construction
independent front suspension
V8 engine, automatic transmission
full time four wheel drive, two speed transfer case
air suspension for rear axle
luxurious interior

--------------------
2002 - 2009
--------------------
Lexus GX470
based on 3rd generation Prado
4.7L V8, 320 ft lb of torque
5 speed automatic transmission
tire 265/65R17, all terrain tread

EPA 14/18 mpg
23 gallon fuel tank
USA models have spare under the chassis. Australian models have spare on the rear door, making space for a second gas tank

Wheelbase 110 in
Length 188 in
Width 74 in
Height 75 in
Curb weight 4,871 lb
cargo capacity 1,329 lb

rear air suspension standard
Adaptive Variable Suspension (continuously adjusts shock absorber firmness)
Downhill Assist Control

tow rating 5000 lb
3rd row seating optional, only for very small kids

2004 Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) optional (hydraulic adjust to stabilizer bars)
2005 Sport model, KDSS standard

--------------------
2009 - 2012
--------------------
Lexus GX460
based on 4th generation Prado
4.6L V8, 329 lb ft of torque
six speed automatic
center locking differential
265/60R18 tires, all terrain tread

EPA 15/20 mpg
23 gallon fuel tank

Wheelbase 112.2 in
Length 190 in
Width 74 in
Height 74 in
Curb weight 5305 lb
Cargo capacity 1295 lb

KDSS standard
Adaptive Variable Suspension
Rear Adjustable Height Control air suspension optional
Crawl Control
Downhill Assist Control
Active Traction Control (ATRAC)

tow rating 6500 lb
3rd row of seating not easily removed

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the GX love!
Just to whet your appetite, here is a ;little pic of my build in progress. Full build Write up coming soon, once life gets out of the damn way!
So far:
Falken AT tires, Icon Vehicle Dynamics rear shocks and front coil-overs. Overall lift 2 1/2". Full length skid plates underneath from Asfir4x4, Baja Rack that we designed for the GX and soon to be in production, IronMan snorkel and bumper (color coded) winch with synthetic line and factor 55 thimble.
new bumper1.jpg

DanKunz

Adventurer
I got in on it too. I am have done a lot to mine, Iron Man front, snorkel, winch, lift. I had custom sliders built and installed a full set of ASFIR aluminum skids. I am also in the queue with ACC Toyota here in Atlanta to built out a tire carrier rear bumper. Near future mods are a full EBC brake set, RCV axles, heavy duty tie rods, and side plastic flare removal and bedliner a la the TrailX. I will be swapping in a locker in the rear next year and considering a solid axle up front as well.

IMG_4006-800.jpg
577698_10150856538193123_1260833140_n.jpg

GXs rock!

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
The GX is a great truck. I will add a few items:

First GX470 was 2003
I love the KDSS, but nothing fits. The other guys without have been able to use over the counter parts. I have to get everything custom made(sliders/skids the new ARB's for KDSS do not work). That said, I would not trade mine for one without.
Airbags are an issue with a lift. I know of at least one other person that has popped an airbag off after a lift. I changed over to OME coils and love them.
The rear gate door. I like mine, but some others have not. It does open the wrong way.
The 2005's got a slightly different engine. I have heard that it gets better gas milage.

I got rearended a few weeks ago, so I am using the money for a custom built bumper from Hunter Off-road. It should be going in after Labor Day.

I love the 80 series, but the GX is about the same size and in my case the V8 beats out the front S/A.

TexGX

DanKunz

Adventurer
I swapped to coils as well, love it. I also did some cool techie stuff with an I padholdr.com kit and a GROM audio integration kit. I should have the rear bumper, side flares, rework on front done in sept.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We had a couple of brand new 04 Prados when I was in Kuwait. Loved them! They also had a huge gas tank, I think it was around 45 gallons (225 liters) - the digital display on the dash often gave a projected range of 1200km (about 750 miles!)

I notice that while the Prado had the spare tire on the back door, the GX has it under the body. Since I'm assuming the GX doesn't have the 45 gallon fuel capacity that the Prado does, I wonder if the spare tire on the GX sits where the spare fuel tank on the Prado is? Anyone know?

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
This might be my next platform. Looks like a good alternative to the popular 100 series LC and can be found with low milage at a lower initial cost.

Kind of waffling between FJ Cruiser, 100 series or a GX 470.

thanks for the info.

Butch

WhiteH2O

Observer
The GX is certainly more difficult to find aftermarket parts for. It does share many parts with the 4Runner and many parts for the Prado are available from overseas, but if searching down the correct part isn't part the fun for you, you might not be looking at the correct platform for you. Minimum, it takes a bit more research to find out what parts from other platforms do fit (you normally can't search for a GX and find the correct aftermarket part), but once you figure it out, many upgrades aren't hard, i.e. suspension isn't bad, but bumpers and roof racks can be a bit of a pain.

I think it is worth it, but I also like the research and I like having an unique vehicle. I also like taking a Lexus places where the only other vehicles to be found are lifted Jeeps and Toyotas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles