LED tent lighting??

Honu

lost on the mainland
a pic from the show your tent with the golights inside and our winky lights the kids love on the awning

lights.jpg

Last edited:

kramme

Observer
Nice set up - looks nice and cozy! I love those lamps - the Goal Zero "Lite a life lamps"! The blinkys are fun also!

Kharn

We have had a couple of these for a few years. Decent light, but the switches are crap and they no longer work reliably. For the price I am not complaining, but don't expect much from it. It looks like the newer ones in the ad link have a recessed switch. Ours don't, and are always getting inadvertently turned on, killing the batteries while in storage.
I use the Ozark Trail UFO light under our dining fly since I'm afraid our dog would knock over a gas lantern with her wire. Whenever we break camp I take the batteries out, but I've been thinking about converting it to a "real" switch with a flip-up switch protector so I can avoid digging for loose batteries during our next trip.

We bought the Coleman light/fan during our last trip for use in the tent, currently using D cells with it, we haven't decided if we'll upgrade to the CPX packs or not.

mrlisk

Observer
Not the cheapest route, but I'm running a couple goal zero Light a Life 3W LEDs off of a GZ escape 150 power pack in my 10x10 Kodiak. Plan to use the power pack for topping up phones/cameras and the like too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348151484.229121.jpg

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Not the cheapest route, but I'm running a couple goal zero Light a Life 3W LEDs off of a GZ escape 150 power pack in my 10x10 Kodiak. Plan to use the power pack for topping up phones/cameras and the like too.

View attachment 121972
Those are cool but pricy. How do you like the GZ stuff? I have one of their small speakers and solar panels. Pretty good so far but I have heard some people have problems with their stuff.

Honu

lost on the mainland

View attachment 121972

we have four and they are great :)
when we had the kodiak we did the same thing with our cables ;) hahahaha

samer0214

I own and recommend the Black Diamond Orbit Lantern, not cheap at $29.95 (REI), but great features for the price:

- Dimmable LED with 2 output levels
- lightweight
- collapsible (saves space)
- can be hanged in the tent via its own built in hooks

mrlisk

Observer
Those are cool but pricy. How do you like the GZ stuff? I have one of their small speakers and solar panels. Pretty good so far but I have heard some people have problems with their stuff.

No issues yet. Mostly have been using the lights around the house to work on stuff. Going to give the power pack a good try this weekend topping up electronics and running the lights camping in New Hampshire. May also see how it does with the ARB fridge freezer I just picked up too.

Here's the lights doing their job while I wired some new lighting on the front of my JK.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348190022.652647.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have a Coleman tent fan that is also lighted:
View attachment 120140

It works fine and has multiple settings and can be hung with a magnet or set on the floor. I have some of those HF lights and never thought about using them in the tent. Looks like they have another use now!
I bought that noisy bulky thing on a clearance. It went unused for two years until I was at lake Havasu this Summer. In the middle of the night that fan got hung by a bungee inches over me because it never cooled off outside. What a Godsend.

Honu

lost on the mainland
setup.jpg

we use the fan-tastic vent fan :) amazing amount of air comes out of the thing like a home fan !

very nice for just cooling off or when cooking etc.. with the goal zero no problem running them either ;)
you can see the goal zero 350 pack down in front of the fridge the fridge runs off a large deep cycle battery and can go about 4-5 days before dies :) but we have solar panels so can recharge
also the fan on top of the fridge

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
If you have a "AA" maglight just tape an empty white 35mm film canister over the end of the lense & it makes a perfect nitelite

You realize you are dating yourself mentioning "film canisters"! Unfortunately I know what they are too! LOL!

grimbo

Explorer
Or you could just do this, actually works quite well for a good ambient light source

headlamp-water-jug.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94