Any bird hunters?

haven

Expedition Leader
I'm a bird watcher, not a hunter. I don't understand why people think killing living things is a sport. I do understand the wonderful feeling of tramping across icy fields at first light, sneaking into position before dawn to be ready for sunrise, and matching wits with wild creatures to get a close, clear, satisfying look. I like to think that hunters are bird watchers, too. Only the final step is different.

There is an uneasy alliance between bird watchers and hunters. Both groups understand the necessity of healthy natural habitat for the survival of species. The establishment of wildlife refuges across the country is a good example of how both groups' interests can be served by public policy.

tbared

Life participant
As a long time bird hunter, i have come to the point in my life that its more for the dogs than myself anymore( at least that is what i tell myself).

I never really enjoyed it as a sport( its actually hard work, at least in Northern Wisconsin). Up north it was a way of life, for food. Now don't get me wrong, it is easier to run to the grocery store grab a chicken and throw it on the pit. But, isnt that basically what i am doing anyways bird hunting, however it is justified it is what it is.

Anyways, to me watching a pair of setters locking up, honouring each ones another point, holding the bird till the command. That is where my joy is and if an innocent animals is sacrfiiced through this activity, i tell myself its nature way i guess.

Trainig the pups on their first season, watching them grow into fine bird dogs. The dogs are the ones who get the pleasure( if that is how you would like to explain their fullfilment for the activity) and not for sport. But for their own reward, and they are rewarded well.

The get their fill by the end of the hunt, a mouth full of feather and a heart in there bowls or a giggle at the birds I missed. I know they laugh i have seen their smiles.

Carry on

Scott Brady

Founder
I'm a bird watcher, not a hunter. I don't understand why people think killing living things is a sport. I do understand the wonderful feeling of tramping across icy fields at first light, sneaking into position before dawn to be ready for sunrise, and matching wits with wild creatures to get a close, clear, satisfying look. I like to think that hunters are bird watchers, too. Only the final step is different.

There is an uneasy alliance between bird watchers and hunters. Both groups understand the necessity of healthy natural habitat for the survival of species. The establishment of wildlife refuges across the country is a good example of how both groups' interests can be served by public policy.

While I am a wingshooter, I can fully appreciate your perspective. For example, I cannot understand why someone would hunt a predator. I see images of a hunter looking smug with a Jaguar slung over his shoulder and it honestly turns my stomach. I see hunting something you eat as a very ancient, honorable and gentlemanly thing to do. Anyone that is a meat eater should at least understand why a hunter hunts. A hunter just removes the middle-man. I can also respect a vegetarian not understanding why someone would hunt for meat.

I enjoy the hunt and I eat what I kill. Some of my earliest memories are walking through a field with my father and grandfather, watching the pointers bounce through the crop as I held my BB gun tight, senses aware and completely in the moment. It is in our nature to hunt, in our genetic code. It is the same sensation you experience when birding - the stocking, the silence, etc.

Wingshooters and birders have similar goals and both participate actively in conservation. Some of the most effective avian conservation efforts on record are wingshooting organizations like Ducks Unlimited, etc.

J

JWP58

011-1.jpg

I almost got an ugly dog, but Im now a brittany person for life...

J

JWP58

I'm a bird watcher, not a hunter. I don't understand why people think killing living things is a sport. .

Probably because you've never spent a day afield with a hunting dog, otherwise known as your best friend.

I like watching birds too, I like watching my dog turn to stone once he scents them too...

762X39

Explorer
For example, I cannot understand why someone would hunt a predator. I see images of a hunter looking smug with a Jaguar slung over his shoulder and it honestly turns my stomach. I see hunting something you eat as a very ancient, honorable and gentlemanly thing to do. Anyone that is a meat eater should at least understand why a hunter hunts. A hunter just removes the middle-man. I can also respect a vegetarian not understanding why someone would hunt for meat.
As always, you can sum things up better than most. I love to hunt grouse in the Temagami bush while strolling along logging roads, atv trails and where-ever. Funnily enough, on Christmas Eve day while traveling back from the east coast, I had breakfast with a vegan. She had no problems with my killing what I eat. In fact she thought it was better than living in denial as to how meat gets on the table.
I never thought about upland game (grouse have been scaring the crap out of me at my cottage by flushing right in front of me while deer hunting for decades) till my first moose hunt in 2006. Since then it's been on my list of outdoor activities every September.
Moose Hunt 2006.jpg
First Grouse

Last edited:

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
If it flys it dies. :) Well not really. Do a fair amount of duck hunting.

Dont mind the new diamond on the bow that was just put on and not painted yet.
upperwillamete2-20136_zps488948e4.jpg

Cam-shaft.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Nice hide! I've spent alot of time in john boat too, freezing my nibblets off waiting for a dang duck to come along.

762X39

Explorer
Katherine and I are prepping for 5 days in Temagami as I type this. The season opens on next saturday and I am looking forward to a few Grouse, some fish, a fire every night (just about in my happy place...).:coffee:

J

JWP58

I cant wait for Sept 21st. Sage Grouse opens.

For some reason I just cant get excited about Blue Grouse. Maybe its the terrain, I don't know. But I just feel at home in the high desert/sage brush scrub......maybe its the openness I love...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have been hunting birds pretty seriously for 40 years or more. I have had a succession of English setters who love to hunt with me.

This year I will be in Montana (both eastern and central) and in Saskatchewan for a total of maybe 45 days.

Prairie chickens and my Fox bird gun in South Dakota

Prairie_chickens_and_Fox1.jpg

This is Ted

Mike_TedFX1.jpg

This is Tommy

Wenaha_Tomahawk2.jpg

This is Cody

Cody_at_Reno.jpg

This is my puppy, Andy

Andy_and_MikeCRP.jpg

J

JWP58

I was wondering when you were going to chime in! I've seen your posts over on gundogforum (I think) and uplandjournal (im not a member there, I just read).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles