Any bird hunters?

outofrshell

Adventurer
My decision to not travel out of state to chukar hunt has proven to be one of the best things I've done this year. I have been into birds every time I've gone out and I talking bunches of birds, big coveys of 40 or 50 in some places and one area I flushed a covey over a 100 birds. The icing on the cake is that I'm shooting better than I have in years and my 10 year old GWP has went from a great pointer to a great bird dog doing things that I had given up hope of ever seeing her do (marking,retrieving and air scenting).I have only hunted a few of my local spots so I've still got a lot country to cover before the end of the season. I have also done well on pheasants what little time I've spent hunting them. Dave

bossman429

Adventurer
This is my first year hunting with my dog. I grew up with pointers in the field trial circuit but rarely ever went hunting with my grandpa growing up.

Finally got a season where I didn't have a house to renovate or a race car to drive so I figured I'd take the pup out and see what we could do.

Mind you pheasant hunting in NJ is not really what it used to be or anything comparable to out west. More of an orange army walking through the fields the morning after they stock them.

Regardless I do my best to avoid the masses and got my first bird with "Mack" last week. Since have gone a few more times each with one bird.

While he's not exactly broke, I'm trying to get him as much contact with game as possible so he can start associated the smell with the reward. Both times he just flushed the birds by accident, but did help me locate them after being shot and actually pointed the down birds

Mind you, he was a little too beat up, cold, and tired to style up for the pic... Can't wait to go out with him again...probably this afternoon for some quail

image.jpg

outofrshell

Adventurer
Your right he looks a little beat but still a nice looking dog.That's the best thing you can do to make a bird dog is exposure to birds and the outdoors even if the dog isn't fully trained genetics and instinct will carry the day. We were out today and moved a BUNCH of chukars and Gypsy made her longest air scent find of her 10 year career as a chukar hunter,she started at a saddle in the ridge I was on and I followed her for over a quarter mile when she finally nailed them down she politely waited for me to catch up and then we went together down the hill to where the bird were sitting and I MISSED both barrels. Dave

bossman429

Adventurer
Ha. I could only imagine the look she must have given you. "Seriously dude?"

Yea they have some patches of real nasty briars and thorns and the good thing is they don't phase him at all, he'll bust through them like they were cotton balls.... It's only when we're done that he realizes how much they hurt lol. A day or two of rest in front of the fireplace and he's ready to go back out no worse for the wear.

I'm going to finish out the season with him as is, hopefully getting out at least twice a week. During the off season I found a local farm that sells game birds. I'll buy a chukar or two a week and take him for some training. Hopefully by next season he'll be a little more broke.

Question...how do you guys reward your dog after a find(other than pets an a lot of "good boys". We used to let them bite the head off or feet and eat it and give him praise. I don't want him getting in the habit of grabbing birds though, and besides he doesn't have too much interest in the dead birds unless I get him really excited. I'm thinking some pieces of bacon in my pocket might get him more excited lol

outofrshell

Adventurer
I just use a lot praise and make sure she knows that it was the happiest moment in her life I would use treats but I never seem to be able to remember them. If I were to be able to have them with me it would be them little round jerky disc they are cheap and can last a long time in my vest plus she loves them. Dave

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
DO I BIRD HUNT??? YEP!
My Pointer PJ is 9 years old and a complete Ham.
My Lab Kaycee is 8 months old and learning and growing fast!!
PJ.jpgPJ AND MOOSE.jpg12122905_10153327814199825_7839062981354675068_n.jpgsharptail.jpgPJ and Kaycee Pup.jpgwaterfowl.jpgblind.jpg

J

JWP58

Ive knocked down a few pheasants so far this year, missed some sharptails and blues. I hope to bag a few Huns and Chukars tomorrow.

Tombstone17

Observer
Very cool guys! I hope to get back out there this next season. 20150712_190329.jpgthis is my new JKU and my new Lab, Sadie, she thinks the Jeep is hers.....

J

JWP58

Finally got the monkey off my back, killed some chukars this past week to close out the season.

Snowbeard69

Hey JWP58, where were you chukar hunting? I've got a 10 year old Wire-haired pointing Griffon, and we hunt every fall in Southern Alberta.....I'm headed to Arizona this next week and looking to do some quail hunting, anybody care to chime in?

J

JWP58

Hey JWP58, where were you chukar hunting? I've got a 10 year old Wire-haired pointing Griffon, and we hunt every fall in Southern Alberta.....I'm headed to Arizona this next week and looking to do some quail hunting, anybody care to chime in?

The western U.S., where vertical slopes meet a sea of cheatgrass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier