Yet Another Bolt-Together Fiberglass Trailer Kit

cjm

Adventurer
Where are you located? West coast or east? Looks like interest is pretty dang high!! Id love to have a ruger or adventure but man I just cant afford with a family and kid in college

cjm

Adventurer
And this would give me a chance to get one sooner than never! Love all your projects, you def. Have a talent with fiberglass. Keep up good work.

en480c4

Observer
The M100 & M416 have different width tubs/frames. The M100 is narrower, both at the frame and at the top of the tub.

The M100 outside frame dimension is 38"... This aligns with the 38" clear dimension, since the sides go down outside the frame.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The M100 & M416 have different width tubs/frames. The M100 is narrower, both at the frame and at the top of the tub.

The M100 outside frame dimension is 38"... This aligns with the 38" clear dimension, since the sides go down outside the frame.

Thank you. I thought the M100 was a little narrower but I wasn't sure of the exact dimension.

Can you tell me if the track width of the M100 is different from the M416?

en480c4

Observer
I can't say what the track width is for sure... The trailer is at my folks' while we do the work on it. I just remembered the frame width and called my father to verify before posting.

According to this, the inner/outer track width is 42/56 with the standard 7.00-16 tire/wheel package.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I can't say what the track width is for sure... The trailer is at my folks' while we do the work on it. I just remembered the frame width and called my father to verify before posting.

According to this, the inner/outer track width is 42/56 with the standard 7.00-16 tire/wheel package.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Many of the original military trailers had stake pockets, so I drew in what you might do with stake pockets on the Mini-M416.

Stakes.jpg

And on the 6' version (how about I call it the "M-72", since it's the same size as the military M100/M416, I can't call this one "Mini-" :).

StakesM72.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was thinking that if I build this tub, I would get the company that makes the soft tonneau covers for the Jeep-tub trailer to make soft tonneaus for this one as well. Here's a few photos of the tonneau for the Jeep-tub trailer. It's a really nice product.

Tonneau3.jpg

Tonneau2.jpg

JAvendan

Observer
do it do it :wings:

my mini HF trailer is aching for this!

i'm on hold now... i was going to throw a big sears roof top cargo carrier on it and call it good.

this is better.

joel

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking a bit about fender options for the Mini-M416.

If the trailer were built with the stock Harbor Freight 12" wheels/21" tires, the stock frame-mounted fenders work just fine. The tub fits nicely between them.

FendersMini.jpg

If the trailer was built to use intermediate-sized trailer tires, such as 205/75-14's, then there are plenty of fenders available at places like Tractor Supply that would fit fine and bolt up to the side of the tub. But I never hear anyone wanting to build for those smaller tires, everyone seems to want to use "Jeep-sized" tires, such as 31's or larger.

The math works out that if you want to put a 10.5" wide tire on this trailer (31x10.50), you'd need a fender that's at least 12" wide to cover the tire. The fender would bolt to the side of the tub, and accounting for clearance between the tub and the tire, that's the width you end up with to cover the tire.

The WW-II era M100 trailers have round fenders. I drew a version of the Mini-M416 last week showing what round fenders might look like.

FendersM100.jpg

There are appropriate round fenders available for this application, one source is KMT Service Parts: http://kmtparts.com/trailer-body-co...s/13x36-sgl-fender-20in-t-1in-rad-16ga-1.html. These are 36" radius, 13" wide, and 20" high, which I think is a bit larger radius than the original M100 fenders. They'd be good for almost any Jeep-sized tire one might want to put on these trailers. Being 20" high (slightly more than a full half-circle), you'd want to cut a little off the bottoms so they didn't protrude too far past the bottom of the tub or frame, but other than that little but of trimming, they'd be perfect. They're only $52.30 a pair, so quite affordable too.

The M416 trailers were built with angular fenders.

FendersM416.jpg

I haven't found any fenders on the market with a matching angular style in an appropriate size. Also, the original M416 fenders were made to cover the military 7.00-16 tires, so they're actually not wide enough to properly cover the wider 31x10.50's that seem to be the minimum for Jeeps these days. In my searching I've come across lots of posts on various forums by M416 owners looking for a) replacement fenders because theirs are damaged and b) wider fenders because they want to run wider tires. Nothing seems to be available. If anyone knows of any on the market, let me know.

The original M416 fenders are really simple - flat sheet metal with a few bends. I'm thinking if I built the molds for this tub, maybe an option that could be offered would be sheet metal 13"-wide M416-style fenders to go with it. They could also be sold to owners of "real" M416's looking to upgrade or replace their fenders. With my manufacturing contacts I could easily get 13"-wide M416-style fenders manufactured at an affordable price, and they could be done in either bare steel to be painted or powder-coat.

Which tire sizes/fenders do you guys like for the Mini-M416 (and it's 6' long big brother)? HF-sized? Intermediate 14's? Jeep-sized? And which fender style would you prefer for the larger tires - M100 round fenders or M416 angular fenders?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Those of you who own M100 or M416 trailers, could I ask a favor? I'd like to verify the tub width at the bottom/frame width - it's shown in this drawing to be 41".

J, I just walked out and measured my M416 (1967 Stevens) and it is exactly 41".

Great idea! I really like the small version!

I think the 4' long box would be perfect for the back of a "CJ pick up" truck! I have thought about using an M416 box, but at 6', it's to long and creates either more overhang/less departure angle, or increases the wheelbase farther than I would like.

And I just can't bring myself to cut into a decent tub, whether it's to shorten it by 2', or install a tailgate.

I think this is a great idea!

HB

jscherb

Expedition Leader
J, I just walked out and measured my M416 (1967 Stevens) and it is exactly 41".
Thank you! Based on the info I've been getting, none of these seem to be wider than 41" at the bottom. The M100/M101 tub is 38 at the bottom, but this fiberglass design would still be able to be used as a replacement tub on those even though it's 41". Since 41" is also the width of the Harbor Freight Mini Trailer frame, that's the dimension I'll go with.

Great idea! I really like the small version!

I think the 4' long box would be perfect for the back of a "CJ pick up" truck! I have thought about using an M416 box, but at 6', it's to long and creates either more overhang/less departure angle, or increases the wheelbase farther than I would like.

And I just can't bring myself to cut into a decent tub, whether it's to shorten it by 2', or install a tailgate.

I think this is a great idea!

HB

Thanks!

Personally I like the idea of using the Dinoot Jeep-tub kit as a pickup tub, but check out 1x1 Speed Craig's CJ10-a build to see what an M416 bed would look like.

Here's the Jeep-tub pickup concept, I call it the Rustler. This drawing uses the 6'6" version of the tub, but you could use the 53" tub for a shorter pickup with better departure angle.

Rustler1-1.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Personally I like the idea of using the Dinoot Jeep-tub kit as a pickup tub, but check out 1x1 Speed Craig's CJ10-a build to see what an M416 bed would look like.

Didn't see anything CJ10-a related here on ExPo?

But my wheels are certainly turning!

Quest: To have a CJ pick up, using a CJ front for a cab, and an M416 style tub (at around 4')for the box.

Problem 1: I won't cut my clean '80 CJ7 to do this.

Problem 2: I won't cut my fairly clean M416 to do this.

Solution?

Easy! Take my '00 TJ, and use your CJ conversion front clip, and one of these 4' boxes (should this come to fruition) and Wallah!

My TJ was recently rolled, and is undergoing some body work, already has a salvage title, and the drivetrain only has 68K miles on it.

It would be the perfect candidate for this type of project! As a bonus, it would have coil suspension, and a 4.0 w/injection!

Hmm, I better go start my own thread............:Wow1:

Jeff, I thank you for the ideas!

My wife, on the other hand, may not! :eek:

HB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior