Utility Bed Install with Popup Camper

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Thanks, Guys. Appreciate the feedback. I've been busy at the fire station since getting back from our trip and haven't had a chance to do a trip report or any updating. I hope to get something on here soon. If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out ToolBox Guy's project. He's doing some nice upgrades on his rig.

Im too slow on updates. Dont plug my build. Lol!!

I wont take my pop up again, but would you be interested in doing a Mojave Road trip in the next month or 2?
Full size utility bed camping trip, small group.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Yes we'd love to. It was around 1990 the last time we did the Mojave Road. Let me know the details. Sounds like a blast.

vicmillon

This is an amazing setup
That extra space worth it, and looks cool too :)
It make me thing twice now than i have to buy the truck for my pop up camper...

Do you know how much the extra weight influence on the fuel economy? 1MPG, 1/2MPG??

COngratulations

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments! Yes, the extra space is really useful. I'm not hauling more stuff either, just keeping what I've been taking on trips better organized. Even my better half appreciates it.

I don't know if the extra weight makes much of a difference to the mileage. However, aerodynamically the utility bed is a brick so I'm sure that makes some difference. I stopped checking my mileage soon after I bought the truck back in '06 and just drive the darn thing. If weight and aerodynamics made any difference it's not very significant to be noticeable and well worth a slight mileage penalty IMO.

Cliff

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Great looking rig you got there Cliff! I always thought a service bed/popup camper was a great combination. Back in the late 90’s the founder of Earthroamer, Bill Swails, had a well set up Dodge Ram with a service bed and 4 Wheel Camper that I spent many nights dreaming about. Service beds are definitely the way to go if you have the discipline not to overload the chassis by stuffing all of the added storage space full of every imaginable thing you can think of like I would probably do. :). I mean, who knows when a bowling game might break out during a campfire and you might need a bowling ball or if you might need a 200 lb anvil to fix something on the trail. I would probably have a hard time not packing that kind of stuff if I had that much room. LOL

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
This is an amazing setup
That extra space worth it, and looks cool too :)
It make me thing twice now than i have to buy the truck for my pop up camper...

Do you know how much the extra weight influence on the fuel economy? 1MPG, 1/2MPG??

COngratulations

Pemberbush! All the cool kids are finding there way here... Welcome to expo from pemberton south (Emerald).

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Camper/utility bed update

It's been over a year since we put this together so I thought I'd update and let folks know how it's worked out.

Here's a photo of it taken earlier this month. We were on a trip to check out some areas around Lake Mohave so we had the canoe with us.
CIMG0050.jpg

We have been really happy with this setup. No issues with the camper on the bed or with the bed itself. I've tried to resist the urge to carry more "stuff" and for the most part we've been pretty successful. Here's a shot of our campsite in the KOFA National Wildlife Refuge south of Quartzite, AZ. This old camper has the crank up lift system and so far it's been able to lift the canoe with no issues so we don't have to unload the canoe to raise the top.

IMG_2982.jpg

I keep about 50 to 60 lbs of air in the air bags when it's carrying the canoe and the additional water we carry in the right front compartment. Here we're waiting (and waiting) for the train along Route 66. It's a long one, fully loaded and going uphill!

CIMG0029.jpg

Here's the campsite we had at Telephone Cove on Lake Mohave. Got the canoe in the water here and really enjoyed the place. We'd never been there before so it was nice to find a good spot with hardly anyone around. I carry a 7 foot folding ladder on the front of the bed between the cab and the camper to get the boat off and on. I can do it myself but two makes it really easy.

IMG_2953.jpg

We had the whole beach to ourselves at 6 Mile Cove on Lake Mohave. Too windy for the canoe. Susie's bundled up against the wind. Camper in the background. The vehicle is compact enough to get to spots like this. 4 wheel drive is a necessity here.

IMG_0573.jpg

Susie had her doubts about doing the utility bed in the beginning but as you can see she's pretty happy and content with not having to load and unload the back of the camper every time we stop. The small folding table is the only thing that goes in the camper. Everything else is stored in the compartments, including the canoe paddles.

DSC_0063.jpg

We are kicking around the idea of replacing the camper for a new, custom built job but for now this thing is still hanging in there. If we ever do another complete truck and camper setup we would definitely do another utility bed, too.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Still one of the best utility bed / camper combos I have seen!

X2….I agree! Cliff has done a great execution of utilizing a utility bed. I don't think I have the discipline to trust myself with a utility bed though as I would be too tempted to stuff every orifice of the bed with way more stuff than I would ever need to bring.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Cliff, you are my new inspiration! The rig looks great.

I have just set off this month to do the exact same thing, so I'm definitely saving this thread for reference. I've got the truck and will have it sorted before the end of the year, then will start looking for utility bed and camper options. It'll be similar to yours but a GMT400 quad-cab. I'm really hoping I can get my wife to come along in the end (with our 2 young boys) once it's finished as yours does! Well done, sir.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Thank you, Gentlemen. Susie and I appreciate the feedback.

Sentinelist - good luck with the project. I'm sure you and your family won't be disappointed. Any questions feel free to ask.

tswag

Hey, I was hoping to prod a little bit about the build. I've read most of the thread and your rig looks great! I'm not going to be building anytime in the immediate future, but I was working through the idea of building a truck using a high roof utility bed. ANYWAY, have you had any problems with flex of the bed? Stress fractures or anything of that nature?

Also, I'm surprised I never saw your truck around when I lived in North County. I worked at Pauma for 3 years and frequently went off roading in Ocotillo and Borego, as well as the short trips up Nate Harrison and the truck trail up the north side of Palomar.

-Tim

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Good Morning,

Tim; I have noticed some minor paint cracks at a seam on the passenger side at the bottom, the driver's side has one tiny crack near a seam. Not sure if it's due to flex or if it had it there when I bought the used utility bed. The place where I bought the bed gave it a fresh coat of paint so there could have been some blemishes that were covered up.

This summer I removed the air bags and had extra leafs added to the rear springs. Firmed up the ride and eliminated sway going around corners but I found it too harsh on the freeway - choppy is how I would describe it. I put the air bags back on with less than 10 psi in 'em and that was a good compromise. Smooth on the freeway and firm and controlled off-road, driving over cattle guards, etc. Maybe removing the air bags again and see if the new springs have broken in would be prudent. I'd like to ditch the air bags permanently.

We are still very happy with the set up, although with a used bed it's not as refined as a custom made bed. That is what I would like to do in the future - new bed made specifically for our truck and a camper that fits it. The wife just retired and I'm next so we gotta watch the finances for awhile.

If you missed me driving it around North San Diego County it's probably because I don't use it as a daily driver. We had it out for a over-night desert fix about three weeks ago and since then it's been parked. You mentioned driving up the Nate Harrison Grade - if you went thru the park and went down State Park Road you drove right by my house.

Jack - thanks for the compliment. I watched your build closely and was very impressed.

I know everyone likes photos so here's one in Arizona from a recent trip:

DSC_0215.jpg

escadventure

Adventurer
Nice truck. We considered the same thing before we decided to go with a UTE aluminum bed. You've made the utility bed option look very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior