Utility Bed Install with Popup Camper

kpredator

Adventurer
nice rig

very nice build. think this will be our next platform,when our current rig gives up the ghost.

we switched out the steps into the camper with a step that goes into hitch .glad we did that.

we plan on an extra fuel tank and dual wheel carrier bumper.

thanks for the pic's

kp

locrwln

Expedition Leader
This summer I removed the air bags and had extra leafs added to the rear springs. Firmed up the ride and eliminated sway going around corners but I found it too harsh on the freeway - choppy is how I would describe it. I put the air bags back on with less than 10 psi in 'em and that was a good compromise. Smooth on the freeway and firm and controlled off-road, driving over cattle guards, etc. Maybe removing the air bags again and see if the new springs have broken in would be prudent. I'd like to ditch the air bags permanently.

Jack - thanks for the compliment. I watched your build closely and was very impressed.

Getting the right balance on the springs a challenge for sure. I currently have 3500 springs on the rear of mine and so far, they are working great. They ride great unloaded and even better with the camper loaded. If they give up, I have a set of low mileage 3500 DRW springs. The individual springs are thicker and the overload is really thick. I couldn't/wouldn't use them as is unless I had a heavier camper loaded all of the time. My plan is if I get to where I need them, it will probably end up being a hybrid of my current springs and the 3500DRW springs.

And of course, I just found a short wheel base utility bed on CL and it is even mounted on a chevy...

Thank you for the compliment, it has been a great truck and we enjoy it every chance we get.

Jack

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Excellent build! I've got quite a bit of storage with my Northstar but a utility bed would be the ultimate. My friend has an Alaskan custom fabricated onto a utility bed from the prior owner. Bookoo storage. Hopefully,you'll get the rear springs dialed in. I've been up to Deaver Springs in Santa Ana and those guys know their stuff. Locally we've got National too. There's a regcab Duramax in my neighborhood. Don't see many around. Thanks.

ExpoMike

Been very happy with my National Springs. Sure would love to have the extra storage of a utility bed.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Really like the overall look, functionality and compactness, Top.

Were it me I'd be custom-tailoring the storage compartments. Sort of like a fire truck, each compartment focused on a task / function, One as a toolbox with drawers and on board air, another with a max-cubic aluminum water tank. and some sort of hatches on the ends of those lift-top storage compartments to stuff some awnings or tent poles inside. Maybe even a pop-out privy in one side compartment.

desertramp

big sur.jpg
Love this setup the most of all the campers I've ever had. Goes anywhere a stock 4X can and can't really find a reason to do anything to it or justify getting something else.Only thing better would be a newer model like the OP :drool:
sequoia.jpg

Attachments

• big sur 2.jpg
    big sur 2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Rayra: Custom bed is gonna be my next project on this truck when funds allow. I've got plans of what I want to do and what new camper to purchase but the boss wants to spend money on less important things than new utility beds so I'm patiently waiting for the right time. And of course I want/need to spend some dough on the jeep so what can I say?:)

Desertramp: Nice rig. I'll keep my eye out for you around the county.

Thanks, Regcabguy.

Expo Mike: thanks for the weigh-in.

Locrwin: Are you going to get that utility bed you found on Craigslist? If it's a short-height one that's the ticket.
I'll work on the rear spring issue eventually. At least it works good now. I want to do the kind of upgrades you did on your front suspension. You did a great job on that.

Happy Holidays Everyone.

DSC_0201.jpg

Awesome job on this set up, I have been searching for this thread for a while and finally found it! I am contemplating doing this to my superduty. My bed is rusted out and with stock replacement going for 1K+ a utility bed seems like a great option as all my tools are already in the cab and bed box. Now to sell the travel trailer and start searching for a cheap pop-up!

Any updates on this rig in the last year?

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Hi, Nathaniel,

Thanks for the input. The truck and camper haven't changed much in the last year. I did add some wider fender flares with the blingy fake bolts for the front but everything else is still the same. We did a ten day trip through Nevada in August and checked out the new Basin and Range National Monument. We did a lot of back roads driving and had a great time. As you can see we tow our small travel trailer occasionally with it, too.

IMG_0004.jpg

This setup has worked out really well for us. We are seriously looking into getting a larger popup camper that has an indoor shower and have a custom made aluminum utility bed swapped on to the truck to offset the additional weight of a larger camper. We just keep finding other things to spend our money on. As long as this keeps working and we don't have any issues with the old camper we'll probably just keep using it for now.

Hope you find what you're looking for. A utility bed setup isn't for everyone but we're liking ours a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior