6x6 defender off road camper build

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Great read up and would love to have this camper! I drive a isuzu 110 and am having trouble finding wheels which are tubeless and heavy duty. The ones on yours look great. Any info on them would be appreciated as I have no idea where to buy them from
Thanks

Thanks! They are the TX-1 wheels from Performance Alloys. They are light weight, higher load rating than any LR Alloys and very well priced, cant fault them from my experience.

aausmana

Adventurer
What a great build thread! you did a phenomenal job and am envious of your skills as well as mobile home! Can't wait to see more pics of her out in her natural habitat! :)

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Ever since it has been on the road I have been having trouble with the rear fuel tank and the engine starving when using it.
The tank is quite shallow and flat and the fuel pick up is at the front (terrible design) so when the fuel is getting low it all surges to the back and the pick up is dry. Similarly when the tank is full and i go up a long hill, it also starves, I put this down to the distance from the engine to the tank, right at the back. The two factory tanks are under the driver and passenger seats.

All of the tanks feed directly to the engine through 2, 6-way solenoid valves and a couple of toggle switches on the dash.

I see a couple of solutions, one is to have a transfer pump to transfer fuel from the rear tank to one of the fronts, I would also need to install a fuel return line between the two to stop the front tank being overfilled. This makes the rear tank a holding tank.

The second option is again have a 2nd fuel pump but this time also install a small surge tank (i have a spare one from another project) in the engine bay. This would be fed from whichever tank was selected at the time using the existing set up and should be enough to stop the fuel starvation through surge (low tank) and too much head/distance (hills)

Thoughts on either of these? Any other ideas I might have overlooked?

rlynch356

Defyota
IMHO.. simplest solution is to use the rear tank as holding tank and transfer to a front tank.. if the pickup is on the flat surface for fuel you are going to starve the engine rotating it, Full tank it should be fine since once you have pressure it's going to keep it - so i can't explain why the full tank scenario is happening if it is truly full...

the rear tank should also be baffled

hope that helps.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Quick video of a ditch crossing in the 6x6, noting extreme but I like to see the rear diffs flex!

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
In the vid you see the spare wheels rock forward when they hit the ground...you may wanna see about securing the carrier a little more as on rough surfaces or even just day to day driving with stopping, bouncing etc it will make that movement even more exaggerated and wear out your mounting points....:) truck looks great...awesome...

Jitterbug

Adventurer
In the vid you see the spare wheels rock forward when they hit the ground...you may wanna see about securing the carrier a little more as on rough surfaces or even just day to day driving with stopping, bouncing etc it will make that movement even more exaggerated and wear out your mounting points....:) truck looks great...awesome...

Good pick up! i am pulling the rear bar off and making some mods to it, converting to dual swing away instead of single arm and sorting out the mount to the chassis, as you spotted, there is some movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier