6x6 defender off road camper build

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I might have gone crazy but I have priced up a set of 6 portal drop boxes from Tibus. Quite resonable considering I would save on uprating the axles and doing a disc brake conversion too. Now officailly added to the shopping list.

The driveline is going to be:

isuzu 4BD1-T (intercooled)
LT95A with 6x6 take off- vacuum operated centre diff lock and 6wd engagement.
uprated mil spec rear salisbury diffs, 1:4.7 r&p - I may drop the ratio to 4.1 for better highway driving
uprated rover front diff, 1:4.7, MaxiDrive laminated and strenghtened, outboard shocks (may go dual)
arb air lockers - front, middle and rear
4" portal drop boxes :Wow1:
255/85 r16 tyres (probably ATs)
wheels? not sure but big offset to compensate for the portals.

Do it once, do it right and all that (at least that is how I am justifing it to myself!).
Obviously this is starting to get big $$$ but still a lot less than a new LandCruiser and about the same as a new 130 defender by the time you do the 'basic' touring mods, so IMHO, good value :).

Looks like mercedes beat me too it! 6x6, portals and 5 diff locks! http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz/g-class/first-drives/mercedes-benz-g63-amg-6x6-first-drive-review

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Got a little side tracked and finally cracked it with my 90. There is an electrical gremlin somewhere where the previous owner installed the 3.9V8 and aftermarket ECU/immobiliser. I may have got a little carried away and pulled the whole motor/ECU combo out and sold it...

8972_10100730058434455_1935355489_n_zpsc202328e.jpg

I am now sorting out a couple of bits of rust in the chassis and trying to decide what motor to put in the space...

In other news I decided to see if the ford 302 in the 6x6 ran before I took it out. After checking fuel, oil and water all was needed was a jump and it fired straight up after 4 years of not running.
I decided to take the truck for a drive for the first time:

not the clearest video but you get the idea. At about the point that video ends the clutch gave out and I was going nowhere - probably the reason the car was taken off the road around 4 years ago.
Next job is to pull the motor, then hand the truck over to get and body rust cut out and new sections folded and welded. This is beyond my limited skill so I have contracted in help! After that it is time to paint whilst I keep on the look out for a suitable engine.

Hopefully the project will start to gain some momentum now.

Last edited:

Jitterbug

Adventurer
A busy couple of weekends on the car. I removed the old V8, exhaust and radiator/ grill etc. Abbey finished stripping the interior carpet and trim as well as good portion of the old wiring. Also gave the engine bay and interior a once over with the high pressure hose in preparation for painting and heat/sound proofing.

I have managed to get hold of a land rover isuzu 4bd1-t. This will be coming from one the ex-military 6x6s being sold off by the Aus Defence Force. Perfect for us as this is the same motor as came in the car originally. I will be upgrading the turbo (planning on a Borg warner EFR6258) and inter cooling, for more torque/power to shift the heavy truck along.

null_zps8cf65b06.jpg

null_zps350dd721.jpg

null_zps19ef828d.jpg

null_zpsb621b17b.jpg

null_zpsc6ef5609.jpg

Landroverholic

Observer
Portal hubs on an Overland truck? Might look cool but thats a lot of unsprung weight to but pulling around.

I have had my 110 Isuzu Camper through the Sahara and also through Mongolia/Russia/Siberia. On a trip like you are suggesting, anything - and I mean anything can break. I split a swivel housing wide open in the Sahara and destroyed my gearbox in Mongolia. I run 255/100 R16 Michelin XZL.

Much as the LT95A is a good gearbox it is still not bullet proof by any means. I just had Hobson Industries in the UK build one up for me. 3rd time lucky for gearboxes in my truck!!!!

I would keep it simple and as light as possible.

But it would be an awesome truck on portals for sure.

Also being from the UK I understand your Land Rover addiction. Keep it up:)

Will continue to follow your thread with interest

Callum

Attachments

• P8050188.JPG
    P8050188.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 143

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Portal hubs on an Overland truck? Might look cool but thats a lot of unsprung weight to but pulling around.

I have had my 110 Isuzu Camper through the Sahara and also through Mongolia/Russia/Siberia. On a trip like you are suggesting, anything - and I mean anything can break. I split a swivel housing wide open in the Sahara and destroyed my gearbox in Mongolia. I run 255/100 R16 Michelin XZL.

Much as the LT95A is a good gearbox it is still not bullet proof by any means. I just had Hobson Industries in the UK build one up for me. 3rd time lucky for gearboxes in my truck!!!!

I would keep it simple and as light as possible.

But it would be an awesome truck on portals for sure.

Also being from the UK I understand your Land Rover addiction. Keep it up:)

Will continue to follow your thread with interest

Callum

Awesome truck Callum, any more info or pics I can take a look at?

I have discussed the portals with someone who has been there, and had a look at his truck with them fitted. It has been far from a bolt-on conversion. A lot of redesigning of suspension geometry as well as other things.
The legality of that conversion is also questionable in my state. Add this on to the high $ (a lot of travelling could be done on that), and I have decided against the conversion, unless i win the lotto.

The 255/100s would probably be my tyre of choice too, I might have to stick to 255/85 becasue of cost/availability, not to mention I am not certain if the distance between the two rear axles would allow tyres that size, I will measure up next weekend.

Landroverholic

Observer
Just arrived in the UK for a month but will PM you with some more info rather than hijack this thread.

Will be back in Australia in a month so might organise to have a chat then if you are interested?

Michelin XZLs as you say are really difficult to find and very expensive in Aus. I get mine in the UK.

255/100(37 inches in old money) would be a good size though if you can get them to fit. However they are very very heavy and 6 of them is a lot of weight for your poor gearbox to deal with if you are just running standard LT95 gearing. I have 101 gearing inside my LT95 as it was designed to run on 900/16.

What a great find .I have been watching the 6x6 Perentie auctions . Hmmmm ;-)

Will PM you

Regards

Callum

Jitterbug

Adventurer
The 6x6s have 4.7R&Ps so the gearing is reduced. The bigger tyres will definately help my highway driving but 37s will be too big, the distance between the two rear alxes is around 36". I think 255/85 r16 will end up being the best option (just over 33"), unless I can find a 35" skinny tyre.

Juddy

Adventurer
I highly rate the Michelin XZL tyres, so much so I am going to put more in our container in August. THey might not look wide and sexy, but they do the job, and I think for our SE Asia trip they will be perfect..

Jitterbug

Adventurer
The work continues:

Over the last couple of weekends we have:
pulled the ac unit off the roof (a pain of a job as a LOT of sikaflex was used when it was installed).
Started pulling the dash off,
removed the wings,
started sanding back the paint to prep for the new paint job
Cut out the rusty and damaged step at the entrance to the camper
Cut out the support sections for the new hatches where the old ac was.

Also, I am looking into the feasibility of fitting a 6bd1t, rather that the 4bd1t... From the pics below, I think my suspension will be up to the task, it is just a question of can I fit the 6cyl in with the extra length?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles