differences between 4d34 and 4d33

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Quite a few gt2860 turbos available on Ebay a lot are water and oil cooled. I take it that the oil line has a restricter built in to keep oil pressure up. I had a look at my Canter and I believe that it would be possible to use a U-bend from the bottom where the pipe runs from, back to the top to fit the turbo to. Is this feasible or is the turbo getting to far away from the engine as such ? Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
C'mon fellas I thought we were going to get a bit more info and comments coming as Looks like we may take this on as a project. I've seen pictures where the turbo has been fitted to a set of headers, the pipe work being 400 to 500 long that is why my previous question as to the distance to the turbo. Dan.

Amesz00

Adventurer
C'mon fellas I thought we were going to get a bit more info and comments coming as Looks like we may take this on as a project. I've seen pictures where the turbo has been fitted to a set of headers, the pipe work being 400 to 500 long that is why my previous question as to the distance to the turbo. Dan.

sorry, hadnt seen the other comment.
it will work, but is a bit sub-optimal. this kinda thing works on petrols because they have much hotter, faster exhaust to spin the turbine. diesel is by comparison, cold + slow, so to get best or better efficiency you really want the runners as short as possible, to keep as much heat in the gas as possible.
basically the heat in the exhaust gas is the energy your using to spin the turbo. so any lost heat is lost energy. as the hot exhaust passes thru the turbine, it expands + cools. thats the main reason for race cars etc having ceramic coated manifolds, or heat wrapped, 'turbo bags', etc.

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I had already thought about wrapping the bottom of the manifold and U-bend but we will keep collecting info. Dan.

Ropey84

So I have just joined today and I'm getting local performance shop barth brothers karratha wa to quote on fitting a kit to my fg439 34d motor. I have a 1700 km trip to do in a couple of months and need the extra power to keep her traveling with head winds. All the info and extra support would be well accepted.cheers

Ropey84

Amesz00 are you guys still based in perth wa? I am heading down mid jan for 5 weeks and could really do with truck getting a birthday. Rear propella shaft and a turbo kit fitted to a fg439 3.9ltr . I have to tow a 2.6 tonne cat back with me to pilbara and need to know where to get these works done?

Raker

Observer
Try Superior turbo's in Toowoomba. I bought mine from them about a year ago, they shipped it to Darwin in one box. The kit comes with a new exhaust manifold, intake tubing, exhaust dump pipe 3in, oil line and fittings, return line. The only trouble I had was trying to be clever and bronze welding the oil return pipe into the sump with it still on the engine. Ended up melting the oil level indicator inside the sump. They are over $400 to replace. Also they are very helpful over the phone. Hope this helps. Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior