Coleman Colorado. I need some guidance/advice on modifications.

monk

I picked up a used Coleman Colorado that I am pulling with my stock 4 cylinder 1997 TJ. It has 8” rims and has very little clearance. I have seen some modifications where the axle was replaced to accept full size wheels with some enlarging of the wheel wells. I am not sure I need to go this far.

I have done the axle flip(SOA) and it looks like I can mount a 12” wheel without any cutting. I am thinking about going with a 13” and enlarging the wheel wells by a few inches and using the same axle. This would give me 2 more inches of axle clearance over the 12” rim. Approximately 11 inches of axle clearance.

Is the stock axle and hub designed to handle stresses from a larger wheel. I am not planning on taking the trailer anywhere a stock TJ can’t go. Mainly Baja and So Cal mountains. What else should I be concerned with?

Thanks
Monk

Woods

Explorer
Hey Monk,

Your questions are a pretty serious can of worms. I was with you until you said you want to go where a stock TJ will go and Baja. Both scenarios present some pretty seriously challenging environments. I've seen stock CJ2A on the Rubicon trail and have ya checked out a Baja truck lately?

I think the real answer to your question is - Take it to a local trailer shop. They can determine the spindle size of your axle. The spindle size will determine how much weight your axle will support and what your wheel options will be, given that you'll be changing hubs. They can also tell you what it will take to put a heavier duty axle on your trailer and any additional options that it may give you.

If you're close to the Costa Mesa area, I can recommend Orange Coast Trailer Supply. They know their stuff and are very reasonable with prices. Warning, the place is sort of a dump though. But there are a bunch of different trailer builders in the socal area. Should be some good options in the IE.

I picked up a used Coleman Colorado that I am pulling with my stock 4 cylinder 1997 TJ. It has 8” rims and has very little clearance. I have seen some modifications where the axle was replaced to accept full size wheels with some enlarging of the wheel wells. I am not sure I need to go this far.

I have done the axle flip(SOA) and it looks like I can mount a 12” wheel without any cutting. I am thinking about going with a 13” and enlarging the wheel wells by a few inches and using the same axle. This would give me 2 more inches of axle clearance over the 12” rim. Approximately 11 inches of axle clearance.

Is the stock axle and hub designed to handle stresses from a larger wheel. I am not planning on taking the trailer anywhere a stock TJ can't go. Mainly Baja and So Cal mountains. What else should I be concerned with?

Thanks
Monk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The Colorado has an 1800 lb axle. I have the manul right in front of me. I would up to a 3500 lb axle SOA. Depinding what year you have with some spring up dates and shocks you should be able to run a 30" AT. Really nice with out haveing to cut.

jet noise

Observer
My Colorado is on a 3000 lb axle, 15"wheels and 31"tires. Instead of cutting on the wheel Wells, I went with a simple lift of the spring hangars. It trailers perfectly and I love the way it turned out. I put the build thread on another forum since this forum already has "the"build thread on it. If you want to check mine out, google "operation trailer trash". Enjoy that Colorado!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jet noise

Observer
My Colorado is on a 3000 lb axle, 15"wheels and 31"tires. Instead of cutting on the wheel Wells, I went with a simple lift of the spring hangars. It trailers perfectly and I love the way it turned out. I put the build thread on another forum since this forum already has "the"build thread on it. If you want to check mine out, google "operation trailer trash". Enjoy that Colorado!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Correction: mine is a 3500lb axle. Any updates to your build?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94