New to G wagen's, how do I get my G into 4 low

Redlyne_mr2

My truck didn't come with an owners manual and getting the vehicle into 4 low doesn't seem easy. From everything I've tried I can't get 4 low to engage, Im not sure how to use the diff locks either. My truck is a 1990 g320. thanks guys

Ryan

otiswesty

Regular guy
nvm found this, ill keep this for future reference. Can the 4 low system seize up with time?
http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/engage.html

That link is for a 460 series Gwageon

For a 1990 G class with a transfer case shift lever, you simply put the trans in Neutral, push the transfer case lever forward to Gelande (low) mode and put the trans back into drive. If yours is manual trannie as some early 463s are you only need to push the clutch in to shift the TC. The TC is fully syncronized so shifting from low to high is easy at 25 MPH. Later 463 models after 2001 have an electronic switch. The procedure for them is neutral, push switch, drive ... easy

Eric

Flanker525

Just to add to Otiswesty's post. I get the feeling that you're attempting to put the truck into 4low while at a standstill. Try doing it while moving at around 5 mph....that should make things much easier. :ylsmoke:

Redlyne_mr2

thanks gents Ill give it a go

OT can anyone tell me what I actually bought? I haven't seen it in person yet, I did the deal over the phone. Deal says it's a 1990 230, it looks like a 320 to me, not sure if it's a 1990 though as I thought the w463 had the newer interior.
File0_071821_800600.jpg

File0_027147_800600.jpg

Desertstar

Motor is a 230GE...I believe it to be the M102 (4 spark plug wires = four cylinder) I would bet anything it is a 1989-1990 230GE Classic (W460), the "Classics" had the wood dash trim pieces however still could be had at option I believe. Definitely not a W463. I see it has the W463 side mirrors and aftermarket Recaros.

Sure looks nice and tidy.

Have fun with your new purchase !!!
Mike

P.S. you would want to follow the shift instructions that apply to the W460 transfer case and the automatic transmission.

That is a w460 with part time 4x4. Manual hydraulic lockers that will work under the most horrible conditions, you can take it thru hell and back - and they will still work.

The thing with this transfer case and its gear lever is that sometimes the rubber boot get in the way. When you lift up the top cover, check that there is sufficient space underneath - between the plastic console and the body. If the rubber boot fold, you will have a hard time to get it from S > SA to SA > GA (2wd > 4high to 4high > 4low)

Could be as simple as that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online