M101 3/4 Ton Expedition Trailer Build

Trailpsycho

Observer
Robert-

I am by no means an expert on welding, however, I have been a hobbiest for going on 7-8 yrs and I would be concerned about the welds you showed holding up--even with the assembly being bolted together. Your 110V unit doesnt have the huevos to get good penetration with a single pass, especially in a tack, tack, tack method which it appears that you used. A 220V unit would be best for getting decent pentration with the 1/4" assembly you showed. If you must used a 110V unit, the amperage should be turned all the way up (I would swap out of gas to flux core--as it will provide a "hotter" weld)... Practice on other thick material first and think about making very small circles in the seam of the two pieces with each part of the circle overlapping the edges of the two pieces, slowly working your way down. A pro might be able to lay some dimes with the 110, but by using the circle technique you will preheat the edges of the two components and fill as you circle back. Personally, I would just put tacks on it and take it to a friend with a 220V who can lay a nice row of dimes....hell, by the time you get done, you might have the technique down...but I would grind the welds down, clean them out and wait to do that welding until your technique has improved. The M101A isnt a lightweight trailer, the welds that keep it attached to your vehicle should be robust.

I hope I am not coming off like a total jerk. I do not mean to be preachy or critical. I dont know what instruction or mentoring you have locally to you that has or could help you, so I am simply trying to share what little I know. This is a safety issue that all of us should be willing to discuss, critique and strive to improve upon when we build things that will be zipping along on public roads, highways or off-road trails, where one person's gear could become anothers obstacle.

Best of luck with your build. I do like what you are attempting to do...as I dont have an M101 layinga round to look at, will reinforcement of the floors outslide of the new tub walls be necessary or are they supported by the frame.

Also, I have been told that there is an electric brake conversion for the military axle...which would probably be very durable. I dont have any info on this. I met a dude, who is a member here, who was pulling one down in the Nantahala NF and we got to talking about our trailers. His M101 was nicely outfitted. I told him about my plans for my M416. And we talked for quite some time about both models. He mentioned the conversion was something he was considering....

Anyway, Good luck with your build. Keep us posted!

Cheers!

John

Dear Trailpsycho,

By no means are you coming off in a negative way. I truly appreciate what you said about the welds. I'm not a 100% sure they will hold and after looking at them more closely I have decided that they need to be better. Can I make them better or do I take them to someone that can? Well that is the question I have been asking myself lately. I hate having to depend on other people for the things I want to build, but I also know my limitations, and welding is one of my biggest when it comes to fabrication. Just for a little self-image improvement they were not tack welds. They were continues weld with the power all the way up and were 3 to 4 passes. I am going to take it to someone that at least has a 220 welder and most likely to the local shop in town that does fabrication work.

Once again thank you for your honesty on this. The reason I have come to this forum is that I want opinions, advice, and most importantly constructive criticism on what I'm doing. I may not always agree or change my mind but I guarantee you that I take it in to consideration.

Thanks again
Robert

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The 101A2 has a dexter axle and it should be an easy conversion.
There are 5 backing plate bolts and the swap should be simple.

The tub on the trailer weighs alot. My red trailer is 1250 pound. as it sits
Pushing it around is a little work. but when it is behind the truck it rolls so nice.
I pull it on the weekends from Pittsburgh to Erie and at 70 mph it just Follows along.
The truck actually brakes better with the load.

I am interested in seeing the finished product and to see how much weight you take off.

Attachments

• DSC04858.JPG
    DSC04858.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC04866.JPG
    DSC04866.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC04857.JPG
    DSC04857.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 74

brussum

Adventurer
Check out etrailer.com. They carry all the electric hubs for Dexter axles. They appear to be a simple bolt on changeover and the prices were about $80 each IIRC. I'm contemplating doing the same thing with my M101A2 (got as far as prewiring it for brakes when I ran the new lighting). My F350 doesn't have any problem making the trailer go, but stopping with a fully loaded trailer can be surprisingly unnerving.

Hey Mark,

No I have not done a lot lately. Its been way to hot to work on it. Plus its been raining the last couple of days. I hope to get the side that I cut off prepped today and hopefully get it mocked up. People tell me that I plan too much and maybe in this case I am.

Robert

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Measure twice cut once. You have the finished design in your head and know what tou want to do.
I think it will work good. Losing a little weight along the way and if you wanted after cutting the sides off
lose the cross members and mount the floor directly to the trailer frame.

Keep me posted, There are only a few of us that " like to dance with the big girls" The 101 trailers

Well I worked a little more on the trailer today. Cutting the side so that it will sit inside the wheel wells is proving more difficult that I would have through. I tried cutting with my grinder and a cut off wheel and it very slow going. Tried cutting with a sawzall and that was not any better. I think I should have cut the bottom off before I removed the side.

Now I'm trying to decide if I would not be better off just to get some sheet metal for the sides. I see going thru a lot of sawzall blades and a lot of cut off wheels to get the piece trimmed to where I need it. I need to call the metal shop here in town and see what some 14 or 16 gauge sheet metal would cost. I need two 2x6 sheets and one 2x4 if I use new metal because if I'm going to use new metal I would like to gain a little box height.

Mark I have a question for you. Have you noticed any problems with the trailer center of gravy being too high? I was thinking about pulling a leaf or two out of the springs to lower the stance a little. I don’t think with the smaller box size that I would overload the springs but thought I would get another opinion on it.

Thanks

Robert

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I run 235 85 16 Hankooks they measure 31" tall o both my M101A2 and M116a2 trailers.
Both are stable when driving. I ran the M101 this past weekend over 500 miles and at speeds up to 80 MPH
no problems with being top heavy or with sway. It just follows right along.

Well I made some more progress today on the trailer. I think the reason I was having trouble cutting the metal was that it was vibrating so much. I took the panel outside and secured it to my atv trailer and that seemed to make all the difference plus I was less worried about where all the sparks from the cutoff wheel were going.

I like the look so far. I think I need to do more trimming to make everything line up better. My floor plate is bent down between the cross members and I'm going to try and straighten them up.

Well more to come.

driver side panel mock up 1.jpgdriver side panel mock up 2.jpgdriver side panel mock up 3.jpgdriver side panel mock up 4.jpgdriver side panel mock up 5.jpgdriver side panel mock up 6.jpgdriver side panel mock up 7.jpgdriver side panel mock up 8.jpgedge straighting 1.jpgedge straighting 2.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looking good, I like your wagons by the garage door, I went through a faze a few years back and bought every one I saw
at yard sales and flea markets, Painted them wild colors with vinyl graphics, Lifted them and sold them on craigslist and to the neighbors.
I still see a few of them rolling around town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94