M101 3/4 Ton Expedition Trailer Build

After looking at all the different trailers on here I have decided that I’m finally going to start my own build. I originally wanted a M416 or CDNM101 but those are like mythical creators now days and I just can’t see paying upwards of 8 or 9 thousand dollars for the trailer build by the various companies out there.

I just recently purchased a M101/M116A2 and I installed the AT trailers receiver tube adapter where the surge brake was. The problem now is I’m not sure what direction I want to go in. I want exposed fenders so as to have the side boxes like the AT trailers and Sierra 4x4 trailers. I also want the trailer to have a lid and a RTT.

The idea I have in my head right now is to cut the sides of the cargo box free and push them in to the inside of the wheel wells so as to narrow the trailer and giving a place for the side boxes. It looks like the sides are only welded in a few places and if I cut those welds I should be able to save the metal.

I guess I should also mention that I plan on pulling the trailer with my 2000 Jeep Cherokee.

I am open to any suggestions on a different plan or if anyone has seen a trailer build on these platforms. I would post pictures of what I have done so far but I can’t seem to figure how to do it.

Well thanks to everyone that read this and look forward to any ideas you might have.

Thanks
Robert

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Robert: That sounds like a great idea.
The problem with the M101A2 is weight.
They pull great with a fill size but are heavy when loaded with gear.
The tub weighs alot. If you do as you say, sectioning the tub down the middle is a good start.
Then you will have a solid body and be able to fab up fenders. The wheel tubs can be cut out and flat sheet added.

Find someone with good plasma cutting skills and cheep labor costs and you have it made.
I paid $500.00 for my 101A2 and $150.00 for my 116A2 They are out there Government Liquidations is a good start.

My 101A2 weighs 1200 lbs but the 116 without a tub is so much lighter even with the heavy fenders.
The surge lunette weighs 52 pounds alone.

Post pictures as you go I am interested is seeing what you do.

Mark Harley

Attachments

• DSC07104.JPG
    DSC07104.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 197799_414403045265528_1440195103_n.jpg
    197799_414403045265528_1440195103_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC06656.JPG
    DSC06656.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC06659.JPG
    DSC06659.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 94

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Here is a 105 "huge trailer" that a forum member put on a diet
Looks great!

Attachments

• trailers4.jpg
    trailers4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Trailer51.jpg
    Trailer51.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 97
  • trailer61.jpg
    trailer61.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Trailer71.jpg
    Trailer71.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Trailers1.jpg
    Trailers1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 96
  • trailers3.jpg
    trailers3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 98
That is cool. I found it hard to believe that I was the first to think about cutting one down. How do you post pictures? I can’t seem to figure it out.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Robert,

The tongue is working out good. Looks very sturdy. Since you took off the surge brake, did you also remove the brake componets. It would be nice to keep the two ebrakes working. They come in handy, sometimes

I still have all the brake components on the axle; honestly have not made it that far yet. I want to add electric brakes but I have read that they will not work with the axle. I plan at some point to change the axle out with a 3500 lb. one so I can match the bolt pattern to the Cherokee, but being a cheap *ss, that is later down the road. I hope to be able to keep the hand brakes even with the electric brakes. Thanks for the input on the tongue. Everyone around here that has seen can't seem to get what it is I'm doing. I don't think I have seen expedition trailer around this part of Iowa.

Well keep watching, I have some major plans for this thing. In fact I spent the better part of today gridding off welds so that I can move the side panels. I should have some pictures up in a day or so.

TheThom

Adventurer
Everyone around here that has seen can't seem to get what it is I'm doing. I don't think I have seen expedition trailer around this part of Iowa.

Well keep watching, I have some major plans for this thing. In fact I spent the better part of today gridding off welds so that I can move the side panels. I should have some pictures up in a day or so.

Isn't it nice to find peeps with the same interest/goals!

Dear TheThom

Just checked out your build and it looks very interesting. I did think about using a pop up but was concerned about the weight with my Cherokee. Let me know how it works out and I will be following yours as well.

Thanks, Robert

Never Look Back

Well I have pasted the point of no return. Spent the last two days doing some welding on the tongue bracket and cutting the left side panel lose so that I can push it to the inside of the trailer. Cutting the weld for the side panel was more difficult than I first imagined. The ones that were flat against another panel or the floor were not bad, but the ones in the corners were impossible to reach with the tools I have. I just cut the ones I could get to then slowly gridded and cut on the others then pried them apart with a pry bar. Basicity tearing the metal away from the weld. Have not done a mock to see if it’s going to fit back right, it was way too hot out today.

As for the welding, well I'm new to wire welding and with my 110 flux core welder the welds are not pretty but I think they will hold. That is why I also bolted the mount to the tongue, just for little bit of insurance.

Maybe tomorrow I will be able to a test fit, because if the panels don’t fit back like I hope they will I just made a nice piece of metal for the scrap yard.

Cutting welds.jpginside of panel.jpgpanel removed 1.jpgpanel removed 2.jpgpanel removed 3.jpgwelding 1.jpgwelding 2.jpgwelding 3.jpg

Hey Mark,

If you mean the bottom of the side I cut off then yes. Basically I'm just going push the sides in to the inside of the wheel wells. I plan on it being kind of like a step side pick-up. The idea is to make it look kind of like a M416 or the trailers that AT and Sierra 4x4 make. Not sure if it's going to work but I'm going to give it a try. I like the look of the side of the m101so I'm trying to incorporate the two. I still might do some more weight savings by getting rid of the floor braces under the body and just mounting the floor to the trailer, once again not sure. Originally I was going to pull the body and clean it up some but the more I thought about it I felt the body might stay a little more true being mounted on the frame, time will tell on this.

No matter what happens I still have an excellent frame to make a trailer body on if my plans fall short. Hopefully I will not offend any purists by hacking up the trailer. I think it will look a lot like the 105 pictures you sent me early on and in my mind that helps maintain the heart of the trailer but make it more functional for me.

Thanks again for following what I'm doing.

Robert

Mark,

I now figured out what you were asking in your post. If Im cutting the floor to the frame and cutting out the wheel well as well if I'm not mistaken, and the answer is no. I still want the platforms between the fenders for storage areas. I dont really think I'm going to save a lot of weight with this becasue not that much metal is being removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles