1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

rube bonet

Adventurer
Very nice alum work on the shroud....I like this build and since I am also in Phx and also run old iron (70 burb) it would be way cool to stop by your shop sometime.

Looking forward to the trip reports from the owner once the build is done.

Thanks! I love that body style of chevy! Just give me a call if you ever want to stop by! I'm in NW Peoria...

rube bonet

Adventurer
Here is a pic of the drivers side at full compression, checking clearances. You can see the bump stop mounts bottomed out at metal to metal. In the interests of budget and simplicity, poly bump stops will be used. The steering box was rebuilt by Benchworks, a good shop here in Phx, and upgraded for a faster steering ratio. I also reinforced the box mounts onto the frame, and positioned the bilstein shocks.

IMG_2012_08_29_6898.jpg

All in all, I ended up with 10" travel in the front, should feel pretty good for its intended use. I also left plenty of room to step up to some 2.5 if he feels the need to later...
IMG_2012_08_29_6896.jpg

correctshock.jpg

Suspension at full flex
IMG_2012_08_27_6890.jpg

Wainiha

Explorer
Following this thread.

The Scout '78 Traveler was my first vehicle. I wish I could have it back 345 ci. Auto tranny, and auto and manual 4wd. Could engage automatically or could lock the hubs. Cruise control and A/C still worked!

Sheet metal was so solid I could stand on the middle of the hood w/o any ill effect. And the way the rear seat folded foward I could sleep with the rear closed. Fully stretched out at 6'6".

rube bonet

Adventurer
Following this thread.

The Scout '78 Traveler was my first vehicle. I wish I could have it back 345 ci. Auto tranny, and auto and manual 4wd. Could engage automatically or could lock the hubs. Cruise control and A/C still worked!

Sheet metal was so solid I could stand on the middle of the hood w/o any ill effect. And the way the rear seat folded foward I could sleep with the rear closed. Fully stretched out at 6'6".

It is amazing how vehicles can bring back memories. I grew up in landcruiser, the aroma of the interior of a hardtop FJ40 brings me back instantly to my childhood...

The scout is HUGE in the back with the seat folded, more room than my fj60.

IMG_2012_08_24_6871.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
Alright, I just got back from vacation, time to get back on the Scout...or at least finish catching this thread up to present time...

The front axle is actually out right now, being completely rebuilt and stuffed with ARB, alloy axles, and CTM u joints. I will finish up the front suspension pics once I get this axle back in...

The next thing that I started to take care of was the roll cage. I personally feel that any offroad vehicle being used seriously should at least consider a cage, and one's with fiberglass convertible tops, it should be mandatory! The last thing this customer wanted, however, was something that took away interior space, or "made it look like a racecar". He wanted something for very basic roll protection, something to bring his truck up to a little more modern safety standards.

We decided to do a simple 6 pt cage, mounting the seats and belts off of the cage.

Main structure is built out of 1.75 .120 dom.

A pillar mocked up. All the factory switches still work, glovebox is fully functional, ebrake and kick vents still work. The a pillar actually welds down the cowl, and sheet plates tie it to the body to stiffen everything up.
IMG_2012_07_19_6761.jpg

IMG_2012_07_19_6759.jpg

Final product.. All of the floor plates are 3/16, and tie into all of the factory body bracing/ body mounts.

IMG_2012_07_31_6781.jpg

apillar-1.jpg

Seat mount

IMG_2012_07_31_6774.jpg

Last edited:
You could learn a lot about your electric system if you help the guy put it in. It makes troubleshooting a whole bunch easier. If you don't go overboard on electronics it should be a simple install.

rube bonet

Adventurer
You could learn a lot about your electric system if you help the guy put it in. It makes troubleshooting a whole bunch easier. If you don't go overboard on electronics it should be a simple install.

I agree, on my projects, I always like to be there while he is working on it. I've done enough of my own harnesses to know how much cheaper it is to pay the good guy, rather than waste my time trying to learn what he specializes in...plus, he has cool electrical widgets!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Extremely:Wow1:impresive fabrication Rube. I love when someone takes the time to rebuild an old vehicle like yours. Cant wait to se more pics of the Scout......:)

kfgk14

Adventurer
Very nice build, man. I dream of Scouts, my folks had one way back and I still get pissed at my dad when he talks about the "Scout we used to have".

The cage and all associated fab work is very nice. MIG welded?

rube bonet

Adventurer
Very nice build, man. I dream of Scouts, my folks had one way back and I still get pissed at my dad when he talks about the "Scout we used to have".

The cage and all associated fab work is very nice. MIG welded?

Thanks, mostly mig, some stuff here and there is tig.

I'm "lucky", my parents are hoarders:smiley_drive: They still own a 77 FJ40 and an 83 FJ60 they bought new. I've had my eye on the 40 for a long time now...

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Your Next project is sitting in my driveway :costumed-smiley-007

Skills.....

Arizona is not that far.... How long is your waiting list :)

rube bonet

Adventurer
Your Next project is sitting in my driveway :costumed-smiley-007

Skills.....

Arizona is not that far.... How long is your waiting list :)

Always looking for new projects!:safari-rig:

Here is the B pillar back, you can also see the tabs that are the start of the roof rack mounts.

IMG_2012_07_31_6776.jpg

IMG_2012_07_31_6777.jpg

Here is a shot of the seat belt mounts and roof rack mount
IMG_2012_08_24_6875.jpg

rr1-1.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
The roof rack is mounted with 4 9/16 bolts clamping a DOM steel sleeve penetrating the double walled fiberglass roof, solid mounting the rack to the cage. The orange stuff is high temp silicon that seals the hole and provides "suspension" for the roof, allowing the roof to move freely separate from the cage and rack.

Top side of the mount
IMG_2012_09_15_6979.jpg

I then built a framework out 1.5 .090, and "rolled" it to match the contour of the roof
IMG_2012_08_23_6860.jpg

Close to the end. Does anyone have experience with running a wind deflector on the rack? Does it make a big difference as far as noise/ fuel economy? Still pondering...

IMG_2012_09_15_6977.jpg

The cross braces are 1.25, and 2x2 wire mesh welded in.
IMG_2012_09_15_6980.jpg

I still need to make mounts for the stuff up there...but I need to get the "stuff" first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles