1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

Oh man. My dream truck. I drove 3 hours to look at one. With "minimal" rust on the rocker panel.

I got there there was a hole about 2 feet long above the rear wheel well.

The guy was supposed to get it smogged... Never did.

He was supposed to have the top on, it wasn't, the roll cage he promised was not present. He still needed to "cut it out of another scout."

I decided that he screwed me enough already and didn't buy the truck. But man I wanted it sooooo bad.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Oh man. My dream truck. I drove 3 hours to look at one. With "minimal" rust on the rocker panel.

I got there there was a hole about 2 feet long above the rear wheel well.

The guy was supposed to get it smogged... Never did.

He was supposed to have the top on, it wasn't, the roll cage he promised was not present. He still needed to "cut it out of another scout."

I decided that he screwed me enough already and didn't buy the truck. But man I wanted it sooooo bad.

Sounds like the "dream truck" you were looking at was going to be a nightmare! I hate sellers like that, BS just wastes everybody's time.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Love the "Rolled" roof rack.... this is Overland Art :)

Thanks! The scout is so boxy and square, I started to build a nice flat, square roof rack. That's when I noticed The best part about the traveler (compared to a scout II), the fiberglass roof! It has a really nice curve, and I like the slant in the back. It is also double wall, so it should be great in the AZ sun. Apparently, the fiberglass guy at the farm factory had more artistic sense than the sheet metal guy!:p

rube bonet

Adventurer
Next up was the rocksliders. It definitely needed them because of its low stance, and the rear mounts needed to be stout to double as the basis for the new, longer rear spring mounts. I cut out the mounts out of .25 inch plate, then boxed them in with .125. The rear mount is also internally boxed where the rear hanger mounts integrate.

IMG_2012_08_21_6845.jpg

Here you can see the mounts positioned on the frame near the crossmembers, to help keep the frame from flexing under load.

IMG_2012_08_22_6852.jpg

The rail itself is .250 wall sqaure tubing, the idea was for it to "disappear"...

IMG_2012_08_22_6859.jpg

This is the one that will be part of the new spring hanger. Rear springs are being swapped out for longer, wider rear springs.

IMG_2012_08_22_6850a.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
I pulled the front axle out, so I took some pics of the belly pan, as it is a lot easier to see with out the front end in.

Belly pan is made out of 2 main sections of 3/16 plate that has been gusseted. It is separated from the trans crossmember by about 1/2", but under hard hits the crossmember will help provide support. It is also designed to be easily removed, in case of major service. The drain plugs for everything are still readily accessible thru holes cut in the plate.

IMG_2012_09_08_6914_zps0e672065.jpg

IMG_2012_09_08_6915_zps896e5130.jpg

Attachment to rear crossmember
IMG_2012_09_08_6917_zps60e0f8be.jpg

Attachment to front bolt in crossmember
IMG_2012_09_08_6912_zpsddd43232.jpg

Last edited:

Stoked

Observer
I'm seriously jealous of your fab skills! I've done some decent work for myself, but nothing of this caliber!

KK6OUD

Your fab skill seems to be matched to an equally skilled eye for details. Awesome work on what will no doubt turn out to be a masterpiece. Keep the update rolling, as it is always much easier to dream in color based on the pictures your keep posting. Thanks

rube bonet

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Feel free to put input on the details...I am most interested in making this thing as perfect as can be. Right now, we've been tossing around ideas for the rear tire carrier, water storage (that doesn't freeze), all the little things that make a vehicle easy to live with. I love taking a a vehicle like this and making it one that is as fun to drive as it is functional...

rube bonet

Adventurer
Great work Rob,

Would love to do that to an old Wagoneer.

Thanks! Me too! I absolutely love a FSJ, especially with a gladiator grill. I've never been the biggest fans of cj's, tjs, jk's, etc...but I love FSJ's, MB's, GPWs, FCs, Commandos, all the oddballs.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Looks amazing!
When I asked my fiance at the time, "what kind of car would you be if you could be one?" She said she would be, "A Scout."
I would have accepted a Scout or Commando. Ha.
Can't wait to see the progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles