Questions about 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton....

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Hey all,

I'm completely new to full-size trucks and am in the (pre) planning stages of a custom camper build (think "mini" Earthroamer), probably somewhere around 1500 lbs of weight for the camper itself, that will be doing some reasonable off-roading. My plan for a base truck is an early 2000s Ford or Dodge (they fit in the price and mileage range I want to start with). I want a diesel engine (planning to leave the engine and trans mostly stock) and would prefer a crew-cab.

Question #1: I am definitely planning on "reinforcing" the suspension when I add a lift as part of the build process. Is there a difference in the design of the trucks that I NEED a 1 ton or can a 3/4 ton do fine with the suspension re-done (I want to stay single rear wheel set-up)?

Question #2: Much more open to personal perception, but does anyone have any specific recommendation as to why I should go one way or the other in regards to brand? I have no specific loyalties except to admit I'm not the hottest on the styling of the Chevy/GMC trucks of those model years (So I may even be open to a Chevy if the mechanical aspects merit it).

Thanks in advance for any guidance folks!

Spencinator

Adventurer
I think for what your looking for a 3/4 ton will be more then enough. I have a dodge diesel 2500 that I will eventually be doing a flatbed with a pop top camper(1300lbs). As far as upgrading suspension, there are many companies that have good kits to improve ride and handling yet maintain factory load specifications. Kore, Thuren and Carli are some of the companies that have the best kits out for Ford, Chevy and Dodge. I chose Dodge for the cummins engine. I upgraded the fuel system, added a little bit of power, and went through my entire suspension. The biggest problems I have with my truck are the automatic trans and the interior falling apart. I haven't had problems with it yet, but they all are weak.

Since I know the Dodge/Cummins Ill let you know a couple things. The factory fuel system has to be upgraded to be reliable. The engine is amazing. Auto trans are weak and will self destruct over time if not built. The manual trans is much much stronger and more reliable. Interior parts, door panels weak, dashboards tend to crack, and seats are ripped most of the time. My seats were recovered with very durable leather when I bought the truck and love them. The steering becomes loose when trucks are lifted but can be helped with reinforcement.

You'll find that each truck has their pros and cons but I picked Dodge for a legendary engine, best fuel economy for the year, and the 2nd gen Dodge body style is just awesome! Hope this helps you out. Research all makes, and test drive to see what you like.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have been down this road before, and am going down it again now. If you want a true crewcab, you want a '99 to '03 F350 with the 7.3 or a '03 and newer 3500 Dodge. Both are totally solid platforms. You could get by with a F250/2500 too, but I would look for the one ton, and settle for a 3/4 ton if there was a killer deal to be had. Both will carry a 1500 lb camper with ease, but when you say "mini-earthroamer", I tend to think weight might add up quicker than you expect. Start with the one ton if you can.

I would look for an 03-07 Dodge with a six speed if it were my decision. Why do I drive a F350 then? Because I got it for about 40% of its current value. It was too good a deal to pass up. Our friend "huntsonora" just got a minty '03 Dodge with all kinds of goodies from the original owner for a good price. They are out there with maintenance records and lower miles, but you might have to be patient. I know of a '97 extended cab 12 valve Dodge with 85,000 miles (original old guy owner) that would be fantastic, but it is on the wrong coast for you.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Realistically, two of the important differences that separates the 3/4- and 1-ton trucks are the GVW and GCVW.

Your desire to 'reinforce' the suspension is what? Both the trucks mentioned are leaf spring equipped, pretty simple and very strong.

The Ford has a larger crewcab, more rear seat room than the typical Dodge... Dodge has a Cummins. Ford could have a Cummins, especially if you move up to the F650/750.

Need more information.

Shiryas

Adventurer
For the year trucks you mentioned "Early 2000", the Fords are the same frame, axles, springs, body, shocks. They do add a taller factory block in the rear on the 350 vs the 250.

The leaf spring options for each swap to the other. e.g. If you ordered a plow package on a 250 and 350 they would both have the same HD spring in front (X Codes). If you ordered a King Ranch F250 SB and a King Ranch F350 SB, they both have the same springs, just the bigger rear block on the 350.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/please-decode-f-g-v-ect-spring-codes-246088/ codes listed here

As others have suggested, the GVW comes into play. You can make either ride very nice with the same suspension (OEM or Aftermarket) but the door tag is higher for the 1 Ton platform and we all add more weight than we planned. Better to be legal.

Cheers, Chris

lllateralus

Observer
The fords of that era (7.3's) have a great interior, HUGE interior, solid suspension/solid axles and a GREAT engine. I was just searching for the same thing, looked at a few Dodges and Fords, but
went with my 2003 F250 7.3. I felt it had a great overall package. The 4R100 is a solid trans if the fluid is kept cool, and changed often.

rb70383

Observer
I have an 01 Dodge. Granted 2wd but planning on fixing that issue. My truck has the camper package. From what I gather it is almost like a SRW 3500 in those years as that style truck wasnt offered then. I perfer the last of the 2nd gen body style. 94-02. I perfer the cummins as well. I have 248K on mine and like said I already swapped out the tranny and redid the fuel system. Truck is not stock but I cant leave much alone. :) OH the 02 is the old body style in a 2500 and 3500 and the 02 1500 are the same as a 03 2500/3500. Wierd dodge stuff. LOL

Mine is a quad cab. suicide doors on the cab. The 03 up, to me are not true crew cabs. Yes 4 doors but just a tad bigger then the quad cabs. Friend at work has a 05 1500 and that made me decided against those "crew cabs" A true crew in a Dodge is either 85ish trucks, or the newer ones. They now make a, Well in my terminology, a quad, crew and mega. The quad are shorter rear doors, the crew uses the mega rear doors, and the mega obviously the longer rear doors with the extended cab behind the rear doors on top of it.

dddonkey

Adventurer
I know that I am new, but have been looking at this site for a short while now. I will tell you from my point of view, get what ever truck you like the best with a manual trans. I would look for a 1 ton (350/3500) SRW. I would get a 1 ton just for the fact you can carry more weight and be within legal limits, I know that you can add air bags and new leaf springs but there is still a max GVW you will have to deal with, you may not need the extra capacity now but you might in the future. That is just my thought, I wish I would have got a 1 ton now because i have maxed out my truck a few times, it handled it but was not legal.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Thank you all for the replies! That is the exact kind of information I'm looking for.

I like the info about the size advantage of the Ford interior. That is definitely something I would like to have. Coincidentally, Fords seem to be the most reasonably available in my area.

When it came to the recommendation to go with the 1 ton due to higher GVWR that several of you mentioned, I was wondering the exact same thing about whether I would end up heavier than planned. That is a great idea to give myself the extra margin.

Rxinhed, The reinforcements I was alluding to would be spring helpers, air bags, etc. to help the vehicle comfortably and safely carry the load. My main plan was to have new rear leaf springs made that are rated for the weight and the height increase I would be looking for (and get rid of the lift block if I can). I just need to start researching for someone good to do the work.

Thank you all again for your advice and info.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Sounds like an F350 SRW is probably the best choice. From 99-03 (7.3L) they are amazing trucks. The F250 model is very similar but has a Dana 50 front axle instead of the Dana 60. Be aware that in 2003.5 they switched to the 6.0 Powerstroke and you DONT want that motor. As far as the suspension is concerned, I would start with springs from Icon Vehicle Dynamics. They are made by Deaver (the best in the business) and come in different lift heights. From there if you need additional weight carrying capacity in the rear you can add airbags. Hope that helps.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
That helps a LOT! Thank you very much!

Sounds like an F350 SRW is probably the best choice. From 99-03 (7.3L) they are amazing trucks. The F250 model is very similar but has a Dana 50 front axle instead of the Dana 60. Be aware that in 2003.5 they switched to the 6.0 Powerstroke and you DONT want that motor. As far as the suspension is concerned, I would start with springs from Icon Vehicle Dynamics. They are made by Deaver (the best in the business) and come in different lift heights. From there if you need additional weight carrying capacity in the rear you can add airbags. Hope that helps.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The F250 and 350 are about the same with minor, easy to change differences.

If there is just two of you, get the extended cab. More than two, get the crew cab. Long bed only! The long trucks have never really effected my travel or camping. Also try to get manual hubs and transfercase. Don't sweat the front axle, the old 50 in the 1998-2000 models is still very good as long as you don't want a locker. Pretty sure my 2008 has a dana60 up front.

All my camping gear, jumper cables etc, packs neatly intothe extended cab. I use the bed for cooler, hauling bikes, RC model gear, etc etc. So far I prefer tents and EZ-upsover campers but wouldn't mind a 20-25' travel trailer.

I wouldn't overlook the gassers though. Unless your after a CC DRW.

My planned setup: Airlift rear airsprings, Carli or Icon F350 front leveling springs, 4" F350 blocks, 285/75r17 BFG or Firestone mud tires, Rear Detroit locker.

Last edited:

cocco78

Adventurer
There is not real difference between the f250/f350 or the Dodge 2500/3500 besides the GVWR and perhaps an overload spring... Its really a moot point deciding between the 2, I would not hold out for one or another personally. Also in the Ford F250 they used the D50 for the first year or 2 then moved to the D60, but there is nothing wrong with a D50, it has a slightly smaller ring and pinion but besides that they are the same as the D60. I've owned a 2000 F250 Powerstroke and a 97 and 08 Dodge 2500 Cummins, I liked the Ford better but the Dodge had a much better ride with a coil sprung font end. The 5.9L Cummins also got considerably more mileage than the Powerstroke or the 6.7L cummins.

I would hold off on the suspension work until you know what size tires you want to run and how much weight your going to carry. Honestly 1500lbs is nothing in the back of one of these trucks, they don't even start to ride good until you drop 1000lbs in the bed. I would consider some good shocks and maybe a set of air bags to replace the overload springs. These trucks are big enough as it is and will fit a healthy size tire on it stock. As far as the leaf sprung front end on the Ford, they ride terrible when you start lifting them unless you drop big bucks on some custom springs. Seems like all the "lift kits" just use more arched stiffer springs.

njtacoma

Explorer
In this very litigious society we are in there is a "big" difference between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. You don't want to get caught over GVW or GCVW in the event of an accident, or an overzealous officer of the law.
If I remember correctly the 94-02 dodge 3500's were all dual wheels, i know they were in 99 when I ordered my 2500 diesel.

I don't know how the RV industry gets away with it, because for a while most of them seemed to be right at GVW before you loaded the fridge and freezer.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
In this very litigious society we are in there is a "big" difference between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. You don't want to get caught over GVW or GCVW in the event of an accident, or an overzealous officer of the law.
If I remember correctly the 94-02 dodge 3500's were all dual wheels, i know they were in 99 when I ordered my 2500 diesel.

I don't know how the RV industry gets away with it, because for a while most of them seemed to be right at GVW before you loaded the fridge and freezer.

They don't. Blame, and the lawsuits get put onto the Rv owner. It was legal when it left the parking lot. The owner is the one that filled the water tank up. Getting rear ended by a RV'r is the highway version of hitting the lottery.

Saw a F150 pulling a 25' travel trailer yesterday. And pulling it well! Still a baaaad idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke