Bad elf gps for the iPad

Frank

Explorer
Who has used the bad elf gps for the iPad? What do you like or dislike about it? What app do you use it with? Would you buy it again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one I got for work. Havent got to use it very extensively. I would like to do more field data collection with it but non of the ios apps ive tried are up to par with ArcPad yet. I want to try GISPro and CartoMobile but havent dropped the cash yet. One thing about the bad elf i dont like is that that it does feel cheap and it sticks out awkwardly.

Darby Darrow

Observer
Who has used the bad elf gps for the iPad? What do you like or dislike about it?

I find that it locates the satellites fairly quickly and has adequate accuracy for my purposes. It does stick out precariously from the iPad. If I was just holding it in my hands or have it resting on the seat I would be concerned about it falling out or being damaged. I use it mounted in a RAM mount with a velcro strap for strain relief and that has been working great for a year or so.

iPadA.jpg
What app do you use it with?

Scenic Maps Western USA

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scenic-map-western-usa/id363746157?mt=8 (WFS)

I am disappointed that my favorite iPhone routing app MotionX Drive won't load onto my iPad (MotionX prevents it from loading onto a WiFi only iPad as their policy) But Scenic Maps is self contained, at least for the western states and works very well.

iPadB.jpg
Would you buy it again?

If I didn't have an iPad, I would instead purchase an iPad with a built in GPS. But for someone with a WiFi only iPad I would recommend the Bad Elf unit.

JRhetts

Adventurer
I have motion x on my iPad with wifi only...working for me....

What if anything did you need to do to get this running smoothly and reliably? People have posted both ways [i.e., does and doesn't work with wifi only model iPad].

gotink

Observer
Just installed it...but I might be mistaken,I've got motion x gps hd,is the program your talkin about just for street nav?

RobRed

Explorer
Just installed it...but I might be mistaken,I've got motion x gps hd,is the program your talkin about just for street nav?

MotionX GPS DRIVE HD is not compatible with the wifi iPad.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Surfy

Adventurer
MotionX works also without GPS (you just dont see where you are), also too on a wifi model. When you are able to setup a GPS Device for using it with the ipad, it should work too with MotionX...

RobRed

Explorer
That's what I thought.

Rob you sure about this?

Yes. Confirmed by MotionX.

"MotionX-GPS Drive HD is a network-connected solution that requires a data connection to pull maps and routing information when the route is calculated and for reroutes along your journey. You would not be able to calculate new routes (or re-route if you go off-course) without accessing a network connection." This info is officially confirmed by Motion X.

http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles