Having difficulty with selecting a sleeping site while traveling...

some_dude

Observer
It took me almost a year to get back to being 'Comfortable' around people/crowds, especially in strange areas.

I hated going to a store and standing in line. Specifically, I hated listening to people complain about stupid **** while standing in line. It irritated me that they placed such importance on something that was so inconsequential.

It'll take time. Talking with the guys you were there with will help a lot, if you're not in touch with them, find someone who has been there and been through it also.

I work regularly with dudes who were there with me and we talk, but I like the anonymity of the Internet. No one knows me and I know no one so there's no reputations to uphold or egos to wrestle with.

I find the process of typing out my thoughts therapeutic. Some of these replies have taken an hour to write, edit, then re-write as I consider my words and re-evaluate my thoughts. I can't get that when shooting the **** over cold beer.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I find the process of typing out my thoughts therapeutic. Some of these replies have taken an hour to write, edit, then re-write as I consider my words and re-evaluate my thoughts. I can't get that when shooting the **** over cold beer.

That worked for me too!

I wrote down a lot, mostly stuff that rhymed (though not sure I'd call it 'poetry' LOL)

Just had a million things running through my mind some days, so my wife suggested writing them down.

When I asked her: "Who the heck would want to read my ramblings?"

She said: "No one! You don't have to show anyone, burn it or shred it when you're done. Or hang on to it, you don't have to show it to anyone!"

Well, she was right. So I keep a notebook by the bed, and when I can't sleep, I start writing down whatever is floating through my brain at the time.

Usually only takes about 20 minutes, and I'm ready for sleep! :elkgrin:

I also converse a lot on the Military Jeepers forum, both online and in PM's with some of the guys.

It helps, because everyone on that site is either a Vet or on AD still.

And you're right, the anonymity of it helps.

Keep up the good fight! It gets better with time.

HB

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
First thing as mentioned before is that you may want to talk to someone, it may be nothing but better to see if there is something there.

Second you may be trying to camp in a way that is not comfortable for you. I really like a hard sided camper. I like the feeling of home that I have and the security of knowing that I have a solid door and walls between me and what else is outside. That being said if I regularly camped in a more public areas my truck camper would not be the way to go. A nice small motor home or a van that I could move from the front to the back and back to the front without going outside would be the way that I would go. I would feel much more secure knowing that I could pull away without a confrontation if I had to.

Third I fully agree with the dog comment. I love having my dog with me as I know that a bark will do a lot more than I could ever do all without the confrontation.

Fourth you may want to devise a plan for a confrontation. Place the keys for your vehicle where you can easily find them. Keep something that you could use as a weapon close by (I am not for guns but there are a lot of other things that you can use for protection if need be). This may help to relax you and allow you to sleep.

Fifth find someone else (or another family) that you can travel with. Just knowing that there is someone that is close by may help.

Sixth you may want to stay at established campgrounds. I know myself that some campgrounds can be worse than sleeping on the street but it may help.

Seventh don't discount all your spidy senses, they will come in handy. Was camping last year and found a great secluded spot, we had a GREAT time till just before bed. Then a vehicle came by, stopped and drove past our site. All alerts went off, we packed up and headed down the road. Found a great campsite that we had to pay for but slept like a baby.

Above all find what you enjoy and get out and enjoy it.

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks for your service, I was in a few years back. I stay at "Hotel De Ford" ALOT for work and play. I drive to NYC and make deliveries, I time my arrivals for 3-4 am and grab a few hours in front of my destinations. WW2 Machette, and Grandpa's axe rest on my dash and and I crash under my poncho liner for a few hours. Lets folks know it least it aint gonna be easy. I have travelled all around the Conti US, Canada and Mexi (would be cautious there now), and your need for security and threat assessment is good instinct as stated. We have a young family and recently crashed in a rest area outside Flint, Mi (lots of crime in the city) but usually folks looking for trouble stay to more remote areas, not rest areas.

But seriously, here are few things I find helpful if in unfamiliar areas, first rest stops are common "crash areas", also ANY Walmart allows overnight sleeping in their lot. There are usually travellers around these areas ands in a Walmart Supercenter they are open all night and well lit (I usually run in and brush and use the pot as well). We dont like many "hardened" campsites (pavement, lots of RV's and too darn close to each other. We seek out State Forest and National Forest campgrounds, ALOT quieter and MORE space.

jronwood

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks for your service, I was in a few years back. I stay at "Hotel De Ford" ALOT for work and play. I drive to NYC and make deliveries, I time my arrivals for 3-4 am and grab a few hours in front of my destinations. WW2 Machette, and Grandpa's axe rest on my dash and and I crash under my poncho liner for a few hours. Lets folks know it least it aint gonna be easy. I have travelled all around the Conti US, Canada and Mexi (would be cautious there now), and your need for security and threat assessment is good instinct as stated. We have a young family and recently crashed in a rest area outside Flint, Mi (lots of crime in the city) but usually folks looking for trouble stay to more remote areas, not rest areas.

But seriously, here are few things I find helpful if in unfamiliar areas, first rest stops are common "crash areas", also ANY Walmart allows overnight sleeping in their lot. There are usually travellers around these areas ands in a Walmart Supercenter they are open all night and well lit (I usually run in and brush and use the pot as well). We dont like many "hardened" campsites (pavement, lots of RV's and too darn close to each other). We seek out State Forest and National Forest campgrounds, ALOT quieter and MORE space.

jronwood

some_dude

Observer
I think the big take aways here are:

1) that I need to plan things out better,

2) that I should roll in during daylight so I can get a better feel for the ground,

3) that I should get a dog. :)

I appreciate all the tips. Some things that probably seem obvious to you guys weren't obvious to me, and I think with a little bit of prior planning I can probably make things go much smoother next time out.

What you are describing sounds like PTSD and I would add another vote to getting support for dealing with this. That said, I would also like to mention the importance of good diet in your travels. Avoid caffeine late in the afternoon and limit it at other times. It tends to dehydrate people and can heighten anxiety, heart rate and breathing. Eat a good hot meal in the evening and drink some herbal tea if possible. Also, arrive at your designated stop before sundown so you can get a mental map of the area.

Last but certainly not least, thank you for your service! I would have done the same if my military service had not been cut short by medical problems.

Kevin

Adventure IQ

Explorer
I agree ^^^.

It took me almost a year to get back to being 'Comfortable' around people/crowds, especially in strange areas.

It'll take time. Talking with the guys you were there with will help a lot, if you're not in touch with them, find someone who has been there and been through it also.

It helped me a lot, and still does even today.

I find that the further 'out there' I get, the more comfortable I am.

I don't think that even today, I could crash in a parking lot, and get any decent sleep, if I was not with a group.

Your 'Spidey Sense' will be with you forever, it just doesn't go away.

It does adjust however, and things will get better with time.

Try getting further out, if possible. Less people=less problems, as does getting away from cities.

I've been out since '98, and still have some bad days. There's been more than once, when out shopping and there were a lot of people, that I just left the cart and walked out.

Take your time, plan out your trips so you know where you'll be staying, so hopefully you don't end up crashing in a parking lot.

Even take a day trip, if possible, and do some recon on the area's you'll be heading to, so you know what to expect when you get there for an overnight or two.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk or need anything.

And thanks for your Service Brother!

HB

+1. Took some time for me and still not there all the way. Take it in steps. I have had a buddy of mine camp with me to provide over watch. This last weekend I was on alert all night after a 15 hour drive in the back country. No idea what set me on edge. Pm me if you need to talk

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Trouble sleeping

+1. Took some time for me and still not there all the way. Take it in steps. I have had a buddy of mine camp with me to provide over watch. This last weekend I was on alert all night after a 15 hour drive in the back country. No idea what set me on edge. Pm me if you need to talk

I understand, I am an old 11B myself. Vietnam 69/70 and still can have issues sleeping, not to many when I go on trips (my wife of 33 years is very understanding when I take a long trip) but still some. If I am on the interstate, truck stops are good for me, always busy and well lit and I can get a shower in the morning, lot's of eyes and yet to have any problems. otherwise a campsite as has been mentioned. Your awareness will never go away but you can learn to live with it, I have, you will. Welcome home! brother, you will be all good. mjmcdowell :)

karma11

Observer
As a fellow Vet, id first suggest some counseling. get hooked up with the VA like i did and, believe me it makes a world of difference. Ive always thought of myself a "tough" guy, i dont need help, ill just tough through it. but when it starts affecting the way you do things then.....

sleeping in any kind of "civilized" place still makes me wary, id rather sleep out in the bush. heck if it really bothers you, set up some simple intrusion alarms, 550 cord and tin cans.

bottom line is it takes time to regear our minds away from being hyper vigilint.

i really wish you the best of luck.

daveyd

Observer
Go to the VA brother, enroll yourself with the 90 days inpatient treatment for PTSD. Get those symptoms documented on your record as you will need it for compensation purposes. I have the same sentiments that you do about being hypervigilant in crowded places or in public and unable to sleep in those areas you mentioned. I was in Desert Storm 1990-91 with the 101st Airborne Division and was ambushed during my combat tour. Nevertheless, the 90 day inpatient treatment helped me regain control over my anxiety. I'm confident the VA will help you out too.

Thank you for your service as well. :rappel:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't know if it's an option or not but a small trailer might be a good idea. When I told the wife I wanted to do more camping, she was the one who suggested a teardrop. Nice thing about it is that it's small and fairly light (could be lighter, though - that's my winter project) and it has a locking door and hard sides. Also keeps us up off the ground. There are a number of options, factory built or make your own.

I started out in the infantry, too, (though I did most of my career in MI) and have had my fill of sleeping on the ground, thankyouverymuch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94