Having difficulty with selecting a sleeping site while traveling...

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Wife and I have "Expo'd" off and on for many years. Being alert is a good thing. We have had many many positive experiences and a few not so good while "on the road". Probably have been in some type of campground/parking lot/BLM land (non-motel room) sleeping for close to 1500 nights total. All have been good except for maybe 5 or 6. Of course, those are the memorable ones.
1. We started in 1974. Lived in LA (lower Alabama) and would go to Panama City Beach for weekends. We would do the beach, find a motel bar, dance a little, then sleep in our van in the motel parking lot. This worked many times with no troubles, until one night three guys were breaking into cars. Tried ours too. I did a better job of keeping my softball bat in the van after that, just in cae I ran into a "pick-up' game.
2. My campsite (at a commercial campground) at Outer Banks got "entered" by 2 two legged critters while we were sleeping. They were inspecting our campsite items, our noises encouraged them to leave. Racking the .45 must have sounded loud.
3. Another commercial campground was good for three months (contract job) until one night a nearby resident got drunk & started shooting. No person got hit except for some of the camper vehicles. Campground was good for two more months after that, too. Job ended, we moved on.
4. Walmart parking lots were good for many nights in numerous locations, until one night at 0200, an oncoming employee decided to test his horn as he drove beside the row of campers in the lot. He made three passes, then prked and went in to work.
5. Interstate Rest areas were marginal due to the police encouraging all sleepers to move on.

Moral of the story - Do what the previous posters have listed, arrive early, walk the area to get familiarized, groups are better, a dog helps a lot. Be prepared, but not overboard.
Thanks for your service Hope this helps

NothingClever

Explorer
I don't see the anxiety as a negative. It's a survival instinct that has been improved through experience.

What I need is to do is figure out how to adapt it to my current environment.

I really like the dog idea.

Yep, just good situational awareness. You're on track.

Leviathan

Observer
I'm late to the conversation, but you may have better luck forest camping. It drives me buggy to sleep with people around. Rest stops and the like call for locked doors and a chambered round.

However, it is much easier (for me) wilderness camping. Animals are more predictable (trustworthy? than people). When there is no one else around it is easier to identify when something is "off". If you hear noises in the middle of federal wilderness land then investigation is merited every time. Whereas investigating every noise while in a Walmart parking lot = hypervigilant = no sleep.

As others have said, find what you are comfortable with. You have a set of experiences that I don't share, but I imagine that wilderness seclusion with the family might be just the ticket to relax a bit.

Explorer
Anxiety is your imagination looking into the future for potential problems, inventing scenarios, and then freaking out because your brain can't control all of the things that can possibly happen. The brain's job is to solve problems and prevent disasters, the problem with imaginary scenarios, is that the brain can't solve something that isn't really happening, and sometimes it confuses what you are imagining as something that IS going to happen.

In the service, your brain and imagination were doing exactly what they needed to do for survival. Now you need to train your brain how to relax.

I did this by identifying every time my brain tried to wander into the future and worry. At the first sign of a worrisome thought, I would tell my brain to stop, then take ten slow deep breaths (counting each one). While counting my ten breaths I made my brain go to "a happy place", mine was a beach, with beautiful trees and a sunset. The goal was to put my brain in the present tense, and train it to not anticipate problems. After a month of doing this several times a day, my anxiety was pretty much gone.

Train your brain to not go out looking for problems, train it to relax and enjoy the present. I tell my brain that it isn't allowed to think about that sort of stuff until its actually happening.

Camping in a tent doesn't provoke anyone, or motivate anyone to do you harm. Approaching a Roof top tent with bad intentions just isn't going to happen. A criminal looks for an advantage, approaching such a weird object is not likely, as they wouldn't know what to expect. Its possible that somebody may try to snoop around for something easy to steal off the vehicle, if that's the case, your best move is to stay asleep and not escalate the situation into something violent.

Keep a can of bear spray in the tent, if anything gets curious as to the contents of your tent, this will quickly change their thoughts. Just tell your brain that its best move is to sleep soundly and relax.

TravelTacoma

Observer
One Word

One word: Mastiff. 150+ lbs of crazy-stout-two-legged critter repellent. Super protective of the wife especially, which I absolutely love, as I've seen him literally put himself in between her and strangers that he doesn't feel comfortable with. Barring that recommendation, I feel that good situational awareness (which you seem to be describing) is never a negative thing and heeding our gut feelings is a survival mechanism that our species has been utilizing for centuries.

RangeBrover

Explorer
One word: Mastiff. 150+ lbs of crazy-stout-two-legged critter repellent. Super protective of the wife especially, which I absolutely love, as I've seen him literally put himself in between her and strangers that he doesn't feel comfortable with. Barring that recommendation, I feel that good situational awareness (which you seem to be describing) is never a negative thing and heeding our gut feelings is a survival mechanism that our species has been utilizing for centuries.

This is what I always tell people. I never sleep in the backcountry without the pup, she let's me know if someone or something is close real quick.

TravelTacoma

Observer
This is what I always tell people. I never sleep in the backcountry without the pup, she let's me know if someone or something is close real quick.

Absolutely! Nothing gets within 100 yards of camp without Barkley alerting us to their/its presence and establishing his territory. I've seen several grown men run from just him letting them know that they have encroached on said territory (Poor meter reader, A/C repair man, landscapers! I'm sorry!). My issue is that he is sometimes overly protective (If there is such a thing) and I worry about him attacking an innocent person one day. On the other hand, I don't know if I want to discourage this or not. We just found out that we are expecting our first child and I would REALLY like for him to be as protective of it as he is of my wife or even more so.

Last edited:
Also if you are a GI stop at the local fire station or police dept. and sleep in their lot

A guys from work was recently telling me about the road trip he took a few ears back and like you was sleeping in his car. Every time he needed to stop for the night he would find the local police station, tell the cops his situation, and as long as he was polite to them they were more then accommodating to him. Some would even offer them coffee in the morning and invite them in for a tour of the station and a history lesson on the town if he was willing to burn some time.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Absolutely! Nothing gets within 100 yards of camp without Barkley alerting us to their/its presence and establishing his territory. I've seen several grown men run from just him letting them know that they have encroached on said territory (Poor meter reader, A/C repair man, landscapers! I'm sorry!). My issue is that he is sometimes overly protective (If there is such a thing) and I worry about him attacking an innocent person one day. On the other hand, I don't know if I want to discourage this or not. We just found out that we are expecting our first child and I would REALLY like for him to be as protective of it as he is of my wife or even more so.

I've got a pit mutt who's the friendliest dog in the world. I don't worry about her attacking anyone, but I have seen her get aggressive in a few situations when there were unfriendly strangers present and she was attempting to protect me or the wife.

I appreciate a good dog, but I've had some bad experiences with overly aggressive ones and would worry about letting one of them roam the campsite.

grogie

Like to Camp
I've never experienced what our heroes have. So with that being said I can sleep like a baby and have a sense of peace, but when that goes out the window it is disturbing. I don't like the thought (or when it's happened) of someone walking up along my tent when I'm inside it. A downside of having an expo setup is that people want to check it out. That's good and bad I'm finding.

Eventually I can see the point of a hard sided camper for a little more peace at mind.

Anyway, I hope our heroes can find some peace. We appreciate your service and thank you.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
X's 10 on the dog
find a good rescue dog and they'll rescue you as much as you rescue them..
I prefer mix'd breed mutts as I feel they're usually smarter (not one task hereditary focused) and are often healthier. a medium sized 55-65lb dog will make a perfect companion and first alert system.
add in a child in the family and they'll not let anyone mess with the child.

Phoenix

Adventurer
Thank you for your service.

Many of my friends have had similar experiences, some still do. I'm glad you are using the forum to talk about it. Most of them have used some type of counseling over the years. Use what works for you.

I find great comfort, and enjoyment, camping with those that have served.

LTV Chaos

Same boat. I'm an infantry guy in USMC. Ditto on the field part and going outdoors on the weekend. Difference is you can have a fire, beer, be with wife and kids and enjoy nature vice making sure security is set. Like you I think it's also important to teach my kids about the great outdoors.

I'm going to be getting a new dog soon to take with us camping. It'll help me sleep at night and provide limited early warning. Think of it as my OP who is also part of the family.

I'm in Northern Va. Just PCSed here. If you need to get together for coffee or something PM me. We all work through our "stuff" in different ways. Moving to a large Metro area is an adjustment for me. Definitely forcing me to deal with "stuff" I didn't have to out in the Mojave desert.

Pete

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Just found the thread. OP, hope you are getting along ok. Takes a while to get back into civie mode. I didn't want to. I felt better and safer being on guard. That said, I carry everywhere that's legal, and my dog is with me most of the time too. I hope you got the dog that was suggested early on. They are the best counselors/companions in the world.
To all of my brothers and sisters in arms who serve, or have served, Thank you and God bless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior