Having difficulty with selecting a sleeping site while traveling...

some_dude

Observer
My wife and I are looking at doing more camping in the future. The plan is to get a RTT and hit the trails, but for now we're roughing it.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm in the military (infantry) and I see threats everywhere. I don't sleep well when no one is providing overwatch.

The problem was really pronounced on a recent trip. My wife and I decided to rough it by sleeping in the truck just off the highway instead of paying for a motel. We were in some small town in the middle of nowhere yet my spider senses tingled most of the night. We moved sites 4 times before settling on the back corner of a motel parking lot that was well lit and had unobstructed vision all around our vehicle. I still slept like junk. I could probably manage better if it was just me, but having my wife present makes me hyper vigilant. I don't carry a gun (don't particularly want to carry a gun) and the feeling of defenselessness makes it even worse.

Having my wife spend half the night on sentry isn't really an option so I figure I need to find some way to calm my paranoia. I've been trying to puzzle my own way through it but haven't been successful. I'm normally a pretty calm and logical individual but combat has bent my mind.

Not really sure what kind of answer/solution I'm looking for... Just kind of hoping there's someone out there that can provide some advice/insight.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I dont see sleeping in a small town or any town the same as on the trail. Do you feel the same sleeping on the trail? What exactly are you concern about?

digitaldelay

Explorer
It doesn't sound like you are having much fun out there. :(

IMO, you should try to grab a motel if you can, especially when you roll in somewhere late and just want a safe, secure place to crash. The RTT would be more suited to backcountry camping.

As for the anxiety you are experiencing (if that's what it is), you might want to speak to somebody about it. I can ony imagine what you have experienced in the military and it's probably a good sign that you recognize that it has negatively affected you.

Jason

RangeBrover

Explorer
Don't know if you're a dog guy, but my pup is my early warning system. She's got a good balance of being relaxed along with a protective instinct. If anyone gets close to our rig or seems out of place she'll give a good growl to let them know she's there, doesn't matter if we're in the truck, tent, or condo. I rest easy at night knowing she'll wake me up if something out of the ordinary is going on. You can't rely on a dog for protection though, she's just my early warning system.

D

Deleted member 48574

And one more +1 on the dog. After a few close calls I don't travel without mine. Most ne'er-do-wells give dog owners a skip for the hassle alone.

some_dude

Observer
I dont see sleeping in a small town or any town the same as on the trail. Do you feel the same sleeping on the trail? What exactly are you concern about?

We haven't graduated to sleeping on the trail yet. My wife (of twelve years) is the one who wants to camp. I've resisted camping up until this point because my job requires me to spend a significant amount of time sleeping in the dirt already.

What's changing is that we're having a kid. I don't really want to raise some pale kid that plays video games and is afraid of the sun so I'm getting back to my roots in preparation. We've done a bunch of day treks and some wheeling and it's improved both my moral and our relationship, which has inspired both of us to keep building upon this idea.

I've joined a 4WD club that does the odd overnight trail run and we look forward to camping with them. I'm a little less sketched out about camping in groups because their's safety in numbers, but I don't always want to be confined to doing things as a group.

Last edited:

some_dude

Observer
As for the anxiety you are experiencing (if that's what it is), you might want to speak to somebody about it. I can ony imagine what you have experienced in the military and it's probably a good sign that you recognize that it has negatively affected you.

I don't see the anxiety as a negative. It's a survival instinct that has been improved through experience.

What I need is to do is figure out how to adapt it to my current environment.

I really like the dog idea.

My wife and I decided to rough it by sleeping in the truck just off the highway instead of paying for a motel.

I think this is the problem. You were trying to sleep/camp in an area where people don't normally sleep/camp. Save the boondocking for when you get to your destination (state forest or BLM land). Until then, find a quiet spot in a campground. It doesn't have to be a KOA or anything like that. Just something small where you know you will be safe. The best app I ever downloaded for trips has been Oh, Ranger Park Finder. About two hours before dark we fire up the app to see what state run campgrounds or local parks are in our vicinity. We tend to pick out tent or non electric sites because they are usually spaced a little farther apart and that end of the campground is usually a lot quieter. A campsite like this can run as little as $12.00. A bit more if they also make you buy a state park pass at the same time. But either way it's way cheaper than a motel.

Last edited:

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Look up the C-RV Military app. It shows all the military base camp grounds open to active and retirees. Might be a good way for you to transition a little smoother?

I don't see the anxiety as a negative. It's a survival instinct that has been improved through experience.

What I need is to do is figure out how to adapt it to my current environment.

I really like the dog idea.

The anxiety should be like adrenalin and subside with a little time being back stateside. If driving over a pothole gives you a pucker in the pants area then you haven't readjusted yet. The sense of impending danger might not ever fully subside but if it's keeping you up at night there's something you need to talk to about. I would suggest talking to the guys you were over there with you rather than some shrink who's never experienced it. Just take some time to decompress and leave all the baggage over there, it'll help talking about all the stuff that no one wants to. I an 11B1P for 6yrs, served with C CO 1/9 INF 2BCT in Ramadi, Iraq OCT06-DEC07. I had major anxiety with crowds, and anything on or near roadways for about a month after coming home. Good luck and I hope everything gets cleared up for you soon Brother

Camping

You can buy Infrared sensors that will detect anyone approaching your vehicle and turn a light on or sound a alarm.
They are very inexpensive and will give you peace of mind?
Also if you are a GI stop at the local fire station or police dept. and sleep in their lot

Last edited:

RangeBrover

Explorer
You just need to get a feel for backpacking, backcountry camping generally doesn't bother me, but I'm not a fan of sleeping in places I'm unfamiliar with. I agree that there is definately safety in numbers and it's a great way to get out and experience the outdoors with like minded individuals, but sometimes you just want to get out on your own. Like the guys before said, campgrounds in my experience have been very safe and they have anything for the basics like water and electricity to full blown bathrooms, showers, etc. Regardless though, thanks for your service, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
The anxiety should be like adrenalin and subside with a little time being back stateside. If driving over a pothole gives you a pucker in the pants area then you haven't readjusted yet. The sense of impending danger might not ever fully subside but if it's keeping you up at night there's something you need to talk to about. I would suggest talking to the guys you were over there with you rather than some shrink who's never experienced it. Just take some time to decompress and leave all the baggage over there, it'll help talking about all the stuff that no one wants to. I an 11B1P for 6yrs, served with C CO 1/9 INF 2BCT in Ramadi, Iraq OCT06-DEC07. I had major anxiety with crowds, and anything on or near roadways for about a month after coming home. Good luck and I hope everything gets cleared up for you soon Brother

I agree ^^^.

It took me almost a year to get back to being 'Comfortable' around people/crowds, especially in strange areas.

It'll take time. Talking with the guys you were there with will help a lot, if you're not in touch with them, find someone who has been there and been through it also.

It helped me a lot, and still does even today.

I find that the further 'out there' I get, the more comfortable I am.

I don't think that even today, I could crash in a parking lot, and get any decent sleep, if I was not with a group.

Your 'Spidey Sense' will be with you forever, it just doesn't go away.

It does adjust however, and things will get better with time.

Try getting further out, if possible. Less people=less problems, as does getting away from cities.

I've been out since '98, and still have some bad days. There's been more than once, when out shopping and there were a lot of people, that I just left the cart and walked out.

Take your time, plan out your trips so you know where you'll be staying, so hopefully you don't end up crashing in a parking lot.

Even take a day trip, if possible, and do some recon on the area's you'll be heading to, so you know what to expect when you get there for an overnight or two.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk or need anything.

And thanks for your Service Brother!

HB

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
In the US we'd plan long travels with stops in National or state park camping places, stopping early made sure we'd get a spot and had time to enjoy a walk

waking early would get us on the road

Nothing worse than trying to sleep in a truck in a town, I'd never relax either.

We also carry a large grey weimeraner to as an insurance policy- and we recently just got our second, who demonstrated his first "i don't like this street seller" toothy grin just yesterday.

back woods wise I'm still a little jumpy, concerned, more about bears and critters though than the walking dead.

Nothing worse than beaing woken up in the middle of the night to snorts and dropping pan's and furniture.

I've had everything from chipmonks, racoons to a hippo in kenya.

I personally would not sleep in a carpark in a city if i could help it, no campsite or park near , then $40 for a motel six is our next stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior