Having difficulty with selecting a sleeping site while traveling...

RangeBrover

Explorer
Same boat. I'm an infantry guy in USMC. Ditto on the field part and going outdoors on the weekend. Difference is you can have a fire, beer, be with wife and kids and enjoy nature vice making sure security is set. Like you I think it's also important to teach my kids about the great outdoors.

I'm going to be getting a new dog soon to take with us camping. It'll help me sleep at night and provide limited early warning. Think of it as my OP who is also part of the family.

I'm in Northern Va. Just PCSed here. If you need to get together for coffee or something PM me. We all work through our "stuff" in different ways. Moving to a large Metro area is an adjustment for me. Definitely forcing me to deal with "stuff" I didn't have to out in the Mojave desert.

Pete

Welcome to DC, if you're ever looking to hit the trails or come have a beer come find us at the Mid-Atlantic Overland Society on facebook.

dvsjw

Observer
I have a lot of the same kind of concerns about randomly stopping in some uncontrolled area and sleeping. I do great in the woods, but have struggled in or around some common boon-docking areas. Truck stops, rest areas, school parking lots and fringe areas around some stores in some places have worked better for me. It helps me if I blend in to the area as much as possible. A roof top tent would draw too much attention for my liking. The height advantage would be nice in some rural areas though.

Thank you,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles