Whole Vehicle Mosquito Net

GravelRoad

Anyone ever seen or used a whole vehicle mosquito net? I would like to buy or make one for my Jeep. Instead of setting up a tent at the campsite, I think it would be convenient to roll all of the windows down, roll out the sleeping bag in the back, and throw the insect / mosquito net over the top of the whole Jeep. Any problems I'm not foreseeing with this approach?

Desert Dan

Explorer
I guess you could make one

Ive seen magnetic screens for the side windows. You can still roll up the windows and it makes getting in and out easy.
You could make a roll up screen for the back hatch

WASURF63

Adventurer
x2 on making one...
We used to shroud the entire tailgate/rear hatch area ( previous AT Flippac and previous truck/shell/RTT combo) with a large military surplus mosqito net. I suppose you could pick up a couple of those and secure them together in some fashion, to cover your whole Jeep. With a little ingenuity, it might be a cheap and easy solution?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I made screens for my 2 back door windows on my XJ.

Just used the newer flexible screen (made from PVC?)

I found some 1/2" wide rolls of flexible magnetic material, at a crafts supply store, and cut 4 chunks to make a square around the window.

Then I used a hot glue gun to adhere the screen to the mag strips.

Worked perfect, if it was hot, I hung my Ryobi 18V fan in one window.

This made it much easier to get in/out, as you didn't have to lift a bunch of netting and duck under it.

They also rolled up and stored nice when on the road.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Why not a huge shock-cord X frame that you put together and set on the roof, one leg pointing to each corner. Throw the mosquito net over the whole thing. Hoist it up into a tree. Or it can stay on the roof.

Then you throw your tarp over that.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Just getta "Hatch Tent", then you've got the best of both worlds-

Sleep in either one and eat/party in the tent !

Sawmillllakejune12020-1.jpg

Also makes you BEAR SAFE !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

sixbennetts

Adventurer
OP, as long as the netting is tough enough not to tear when dragged across stuff, I don't see why not. Heck, a couple small logs or rocks would hold it down, right?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have a sleeping platform in my Trooper, and I use Magnascreens on the windows for ventilation. Nice to be able to operate the doors, which would be a bit of a problem with a big screen draped over the whole vehicle.

http://www.magnascreen.com/

Here you can see the screens in use on my Trooper
IMGP1065.jpg

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i got one of these to modify for hammock camping,, two of them could be made to work for a vehicle and at under $10 its DIY on the cheap. i think i would simply cut it into sections to cover the side windows, and one for the back and get some button magnets to hold it on the rig,,, keep it all in a small stash bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Mosquito-Net/dp/B005GJHJCM

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Yeah, if the militaries of the world can throw a camo net over a whole vehicle and still operate, why not a bug net, right?

GravelRoad

Thanks for the suggestions. US Netting has some bulk mosquito netting which would probably work well, but it's pricey. Some of the magnetic window nets or window socks suggested would not work very well for the rear window hatch on my Jeep.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Lots of cool ideas, I never put much thought into something like this due to our lack of mosquitoes in most parts of Utah.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
As an afterthought, if you had a simple telescoping tent pole attached to your roof rack above the door you could just slide it out to give you enough room to get in and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles