I need help - decision

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I often find myself in some out of the way places but usually nothing too drastic that 4 wheel drive doesn't take care of. I am torn between between three things. When I do get out into the woods; do I want to camp from a tent using only my truck or do I modify my 6x12 cargo trailer for camping purposes? My truck is a 2000 Ford F150 4x4 with a unicover construction topper which I have used for several years now but it sure is hard to put pants on in the morning or bathroom breaks which the trailer makes it easier. Fixing up the trailer is no major problem. I do love the Oztent but it's price is an issue. So the question is: Do I tent it, and use just the truck with all of it's limitation but ease without the trailer OR upgrade the trailer by insulating it and some semi-permanent cabinetry and deal with any problems with a trailer on the trail. I want to hear from you with your suggestions. Thanks all.

Pete Wilson

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
That's a huge trailer to take on trails. May run into issues with turning and clearance, even if you lift the trailer clearance will be an issue. But I don't know the trails you ride so it could work if you keep it mild, nothing wrong with being comfortable.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
The price of an oztemt will be soon forgotten once you no longer have pay for upgrading and maintaining that trailer. Sure trailers are small amounts of $ here and there but they are in no way cheap to own.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Large trailer for some trails, but seems most in SoCal deal with that. East coast and midwestern trails are a lot tighter than ours. I would have my doubts you would be happy with it down the road.

Oztents are great, I am a dealer for them, maybe of some interest.

The truck is large and with a trailer behind it, would limit a lot of off road travel.

Bob
www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest Off
Road Tear Drop made.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
For what it's worth, I've been using a 6x12 cargo trailer for my camper this year (only 4 trips so far) and it's working out great. It certainly won't go down any extreme trails without damage, but around here (north east), most areas I want to camp in are accessible by stock 4x4's (many times because that's what people I'm going with have) and I feel I can pull my trailer through almost any trail a stock pick-up could make it down. The biggest disadvantage for me is the weight. I've had to go into 4wd a lot sooner than I did with my old trailer because of the weight and because I'm driving slower (less momentum). Either way, it's great for me because of the zero setup time and has room for my family and motorcycle.

photobucket-21846-1346027725534.jpg

Don

-

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Large trailer for some trails, but seems most in SoCal deal with that. East coast and midwestern trails are a lot tighter than ours. I would have my doubts you would be happy with it down the road.
The truck is large and with a trailer behind it, would limit a lot of off road travel.

Bob
www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest Off
Road Tear Drop made.
Bob knows what he's talking about.
I can't really hit any "trails" around here with my set-up but I've worked around that. We use the heck out of our trailer.

I suggest you really picture yourself living with each of your choices. Walk yourself through all of the details, the little things. Mentally live out a 3-day weekend and see which version is more fun.

Roadtrip20121177_crop.jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I suggest you really picture yourself living with each of your choices. Walk yourself through all of the details, the little things. Mentally live out a 3-day weekend and see which version is more fun.

I second this. My wife and I started out with a tent loaded in the back of our Jeep. We then went to a trailer to carry all our comfort items we added because we really enjoyed getting out but wanted a few more comforts to make longer trips better. I am now in the planning stages of a teardrop style trailer because we found it's easier to remove some of the work (IE: no tent to set up and MUCH more comfortable sleeping accommodations, a fridge and larger cooking area for ease of meal prep, more water capacity, etc.).

You really need to analyze not just your needs, but also your wants. My wife is fine in a tent and digging cat-holes for a bathroom but loves it when we only have to lift the back, pull the chairs out and crack a bottle of wine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke