35's on Gen 2/2.5

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Who here runs or have ran 35s on their 2nd/2.5 gen montero?

Do they clear pretty well? Any rubbing when flexing or under a heavy load?

Some pictures would be great :):):)

Thinking of buying new tires and deciding weather to stay with 33s or go up to 35s.

thanks,
Dmitriy

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Read my build thread to see pics of BFG MT KM2 35's on mine.
1) 2" body lift needed
2) front torsion bar crank also recommended
3) trim the inside rear inner plastic fenders where it rubs the tires when making turns (you will know where once you begin driving it).
4) trim the rear section 1/2" or remove the lower body plastic trim.
5) Rim back spacing will directly affect fit. On mine, I'm using ~4" of back spacing.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
You know.... the interwebz is an interesting place for information....
I hemmed and hawed over tire size for over 1 year. This weekend I finally popped for new tires for my rig. Everyone said to get the skinnies, 33 max or you need re-gear. BAH! I ended up getting a set of duratrac's 33x12.50x15's. Oh the 12.50's will feel sluggish and get poor gas milage.

I'll tell you one thing, with our rigs (2.5's with 2"BLI forgot to add that I have 2" rear spring spacers which bring my rear to a total 4" lift) you can easily fit 35's. The only thing you will need to remove is the little mud flap bracket. With this body style there is way more room. My 33's look kinda small actually. and the 12.5" width fills the arch nicely w/o sticking out.

The truck feels fine with no loss of acceleration, handles fine (considering I have no rear swaybar)

Get the 35's....

It will be so bad *****.

Last edited:

Silverwulf

Adventurer
PICS or GTFO!

:elkgrin:
Pictures or it didn't happen. :elkgrin:

We need some show to go with the tell.

:coffee:

Clem

My good Sirs,

You shall have your pictographs within one revolution of the earth. Please accecpt my sincerest appologies as once said tires were installed upon my overlanding vehicle, I set forth on a multi-day jaunt about my local engaging in much shinanagins. Much fun was had and no photographs were taken. So one will have to suffice with the obligatory "driveway shot" infromt of my place of residence.:coffee:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
You know.... the interwebz is an interesting place for information....
I hemmed and hawed over tire size for over 1 year. This weekend I finally popped for new tires for my rig. Everyone said to get the skinnies, 33 max or you need re-gear. BAH! I ended up getting a set of duratrac's 33x12.50x15's. Oh the 12.50's will feel sluggish and get poor gas milage.

I'll tell you one thing, with our rigs (2.5's with 2"BL) you can easily fit 35's. The only thing you will need to remove is the little mud flap bracket. With this body style there is way more room. My 33's look kinda small actually. and the 12.5" width fills the arch nicely w/o sticking out.

The truck feels fine with no loss of acceleration, handles fine (considering I have no rear swaybar)

Get the 35's....It will be so bad *****.

Considering the 4.9 r&ps upgrade, Im more leaning towards 35s. 315/75/16 seems to be the popular size for what Im looking for.

And yes, its about time to see some pics!

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I got the tire shop to mount them on the stock wheels. Whikle the fit, I can see that the shoulder of the tire in more rounded than it should be. Next week I'm going to order some black steel wheels in aN 8" width. Those wheels will stick out @ 1.25" more than the OE by extra width and different backspacing. It will look nice and fit the width of the arches IMO.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I got the tire shop to mount them on the stock wheels. Whikle the fit, I can see that the shoulder of the tire in more rounded than it should be. Next week I'm going to order some black steel wheels in aN 8" width. Those wheels will stick out @ 1.25" more than the OE by extra width and different backspacing. It will look nice and fit the width of the arches IMO.

thats another thing im thinking about, weather an 8" rim will be wide enough to run a 315/75/16 tire.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
thats another thing im thinking about, weather an 8" rim will be wide enough to run a 315/75/16 tire.
Yes it will be fine. That's only 12.4" wide. Although most tire makers recommend a rim slightly wider, I know from personal experience that it's fine.

In terms of tire size... 35" mt's are great for looks only or if you'll use it off road all the time. 33"AT's are great for on road use because they're cheaper and a lot quieter, and better for reduced wear and tear on your running gear. Plus you save 15lbs per tire assuming you're comparing between a 33x12.5" AT & MT tire. You'll have an even greater savings (cost and weight) between a set of 35" MT's and 33" set of AT's.

Last edited:

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Gentlemen, as promised, photographic evidence
EAF19C57.jpg

B9EAC034.jpg

BC644AD7.jpg

i will get some better pics this weekend :)

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
All of us down here in Az have 35's or 37's, You can clear 35's on a gen 2.5 with just a 2" body lift. I ran that setup for years with no problems and i use 35x13.5 tires on 3.5 bs wheels. Just recently added 2" more suspesnion lift so that i can move up to 37x12.5's.

Here's my 35's with 2" lift at full flex and hardly rubbing (you don't have this much travel so don't worry about rubbing much)
pict0210.jpg

Same truck same day same setup with 40"s and a fair bit of rubbing 5" BS wheels though i think 3" BS and my current lift would be ok for 40's
pict0216.jpg

My wifes old SR 2" BL (green with 35's) next to Lloyds SR 3" BL(dark green with 37's) nevermind the bender
DSCF9739.jpg

My old Truggy RS with 35's 2" BL
DSCF8051.jpg

Clay's SWB with 35's and 2" lift
DSCF7956.jpg

Pat's SWB on 35's and 2" BL
56a9a20d55.jpg

Ryan's SR on 35's and 2" BL
DSCN7287-1.jpg

Kevin's Sport with stupid lift and 35's
IMAG0882.jpg

Pat's other SWB on 35's 3"BL (pre truggy)
April%u0025202010%20141.jpg

Kevin's other SWB on 35's 3" BL 2" suspension
February%u0025202010%20096.jpg

Wulf, maybe take the spring spacer out of the back?

I've got the OME heavies in the back and I think the 33s look kind of short with the amount of lift there. I still need to crank the torsions on mine. Up to an inch, maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles