Lights and things

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I want to add some front, rear and maybe even some side lights to my roof rack (takima load warrior). What is the best way to wire them up/ get the wires into the cabin? I'm not super thrilled to drill a hole im my roof either.

4 front ( most likley hella 500's
2 rear ( smaller rectangular lights. Dont know which yet)
2 on lt side (same as rear or smaller)
2 on rt side (same as rear or smaller)

I want to be able to turn on each side independantly.
I also plan to install a fused distribution block in the rear of the rig as I preferr not to run all those wires to the engine bay.
I also plan to upgrade my alt. and battery.

These lights will not be on for extended periods of time. the side and rear will mainly be for loading/ un loadiing when there is no light available.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :)

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I begun to wonder the same thing. I want to hook up a winch, outside accessory lights, onboard compressor, front spotlights/fog lights and whatever gadgets that may come along the way.

Oh and also a dual bat setup..

How to hook all that up w/o Mickey mouse wiring and electrical fires.. ??

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Lighting options abound. I will only say, go with a known quality manufacturer.

In the US there are many quality brands but from my searching Hella seems to offer a very wide array of lights at the least cost.

For lighting really think about the beam pattern your after.
Driving lights are just that. Lights designed for normal driving.
Long Range/pencil beam lights have a much longer reach but aren't very wide. For most off road use, they are not very useful unless you're doing a lot of high speed night drives.
Fog lights have a wider beam pattern but don't go out very far.
Flood lights have an even wider beam pattern than fog lights and similarly an even shorter range.

Then there are a number of other lighting alternatives depending on your needs.

Before selecting lights, determine the specifics of your needs.

For example, for me, I rarely drive my rig fast at night off road so driving beams are not that useful. Fog and flood beams on the other hand are ideal for my off road & on road use. Additionally I bought a set of LED lights (8 lights) that I will use mounted underneath for rock lights.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Fog and flood beams on the other hand are ideal for my off road & on road use. Additionally I bought a set of LED lights (8 lights) that I will use mounted underneath for rock lights.

This.

My issue at the moment is getting the power from inside the engine bay to
a) The rear cabin
b) To the out side rear rack area.

Ive seen some nice productr from bluesea.

Even a marine "port" that was a weather tight seal that had a plug. Wire it up on the inside, then the wire harness on rhe otherside had a plug that simply plugged into it. Nice because you can remove the rack with lights and all and the plug stays weather tight.

Cant remember what it was called and cant find one.

Seeker

Adventurer
The port is called a through-hull fitting. Ive gotten most of my electrical from west marine. Not the cheapest option but the stuff made to rig a boat tends to be more robust than that for rigging a motorhome or car.

Could probably find the parts on amazon.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks! I'll check it out.:088:
You can also run power under the rig then up instead of in, through the rig.

Also, instead of expensive wires, I run low cost exterior lighting wire (14 guage, UV & weather resistant insulated 2 conductor wire) thats commonly available from any number of home improvement stores in lengths of 25' & 50' for a few dollars.

Instead of typical split wiring loom, I use the braided loom. Unlike split loom, braided loom's diameter is adjustable and it breathes so water doesn't get caught in the loom damaging connectors.

I also use connectors which have heat activated epoxy sealant. After crimping it on, you can then use a heat gun to melt epoxy to seal up the connection.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
How would you guys connect all that together? all at the battery?
Is there a distribution block to connect all those goodies?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
How would you guys connect all that together? all at the battery?
Is there a distribution block to connect all those goodies?
You'd have to add a block. I went simpler than that though. I use a switch in cab that controls a 12v relay In the engine bay that powers the lights and (of course) its all properly fused.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne