New here, 97 CTD with a 69 8' OpenRoads camper

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
been lurkin on this board for a few years, built a few jeeps.
Bought my dream truck last year, 1997 12v cummins, auto(ok, almost my dream truck), longbed, extra cab, factory 4.10s w/lsd(tracloc?)

love this truck, 175k miles, runs like a dream

the day i bought it
215581_10150266814340130_7194860_n.jpg

new rubber, 285/75-17 Nittos on H2 wheels
19,200# and 12.8mpg on the way to vegas, pulling my friends truck.

563652_10150919049400130_760419062_n.jpg

just picked this up from an OLD couple, the got it used in 1972 and put more than 100kmiles on it on a 72 chevy.
i just picked it up 4 days ago for $300, everything works, fridge, stove ect. had to spend some time re-wiring the lights before my wife and i took it on a quick trip the day after we got it.

423897_10151367982135130_1934477898_n.jpg

quick overnight at the local gun club, went from 90* at home to 40* where we camped, about 3500' i think

394409_10151368003955130_261870101_n.jpg

Last edited:

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
we are very exited to be up out of the dirt with the little one

399668_10151367984185130_815969908_n.jpg

tent camping with a baby/toddler sucked, and we have a boy on the way.

The truck obviously has plenty of power, and stops fine. but drives horribly, it feels like i have 3000 pounds in the bed. the old man i bought it from said 900lbs, BS. im guessing 1600lbs? the truck isnt sagging too bad, but i have a 2" spacer in the front.

my big question, time for airbags?

airbags obviously dont change the GVW of the truck, all i can see them doing is taking some stress off my leaf springs.
should make it ride way better right?

I assume i am a little under my 8800lb GVW but this load is OK on the truck? i havnt weighed it with the camper, truck is ~6600lbs empty

feel free to give me your .02

Last edited:

herm

Adventurer
put the link to your pictures into the box that pops up when you hit the picture icon in your reply window.

looks like a sweet truck.

herm

Adventurer
works for me. I have airbags on my 1/2 ton and like them a lot. if i was to do it again, i may adapt some long travel style bags. the bags really helped my side to side stability.

Eric06Rubi

Observer
I have almost the same year/vintage camper on a 05 1/2ton ford and it dosen't know the camper is back there.
with the exception of losing 3mpg and it squats the back by 2 or 3 inches. mine weighs in at 1100# empty /dry weight.

You may just need some new springs or like you said air bags. I wouldn't think it would effect the way your truck
drives THAT much...

I'm guessing I've added another 4-500 lb of water/gear/food etc.

jefe4x4

Observer
You seem to have made a double score with a T and C. Many happy camps to you. Lovely family too.
regards, as always, jefe

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We just spent 9 days camping at Hobson. Surf was good, 85* in late sept/early oct with no fog was awesome! Ventura is a great town.

Back to campers though, I would go with airbags based on what you are describing. I have them on my F350, and it carries my 2700 lb monster camper fine. You know it's there, but it drives nice. I used the Firestone bags. Some loss of articulation is likely, but unless you do fairly serious wheeling, you won't notice it.

Stumper92

I have a 2001 that is set up pretty much like yours. My first TC weighed around 2000lbs and did not do anything to the suspension. The truck handled the camper fine for thousands of miles towing a trailer with my Jeep. I have since upgraded to a much larger camper (well over 3k lbs) and have now added the Firestone Airbags and Rancho 9000 shocks in the rear. One thing to keep in mind is that no matter what you do to the suspension, the handling characteristics of your truck will be different with the extra weight and your center of gravity raised up a bit. I found that after driving the truck for a while I get used to the extra weight and don't really notice it. The Rancho shocks helped considerably as the factory shocks are not really designed to handle the weight. You have a great truck! I have thrown the idea of buying a newer truck around a few times. However, the fact is my truck is paid for and does everything I ask of it with no complaints! Keep all your regular maintenance up and get out there and make some memories camping with your family!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Stumper, your truck will likely have 8800 gvwr from Dodge. What does your insurance company/state patrol think about you carrying 3000+ lbs of camper? I have my F350 set up similar to yours with Firestone bags and Bilstein shocks. It also drives fine, but is not "legal" according to the door sticker. Neither of my axles are over weight, but the complete package is. I still find it odd that my FAWR is 4xxx lbs, and RAWR is 6xxx lbs, yet total GVWR is only 9200. I think the axle total is 10,600.

Stumper92

Hey Red. I read through my insurance policy and found nothing specific to GVWR or carrying a TC. However, the same company that insures my truck, insures my camper. As far as the police are concerned, do you have any first hand knowledge of someone being fined for being over GVWR? Of course commercial medium and heavy duty vehicles fall under a different set of rules due to their weight classification. It has been my experience that as long as your bumper is not dragging the ground, and your vehicle appears to be maintained and operated safely, you generally do not get messed with. I feel safe driving my truck and am very particular about how I maintain my vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles