Questions on trailer build

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Im trying to keep it as light as I can. Can I use 1/8" or do I have to use 3/16"?

Depends on how the frame is formed, and how you plan on using it.

The M416's are not real heavy steel, but built in a way to take the abuse.

Unless you have a metal brake for bending, I would go with 3/16" for the frame and tongue.

I tow my M416 w/RTT on top all over, with my CJ that has a worn out 258 CI carbed inline 6, and my TJ with a 4.0L

Only places I have had big problems with lack of power, were bucking headwinds in Nebraska, and some of the mountain passes through Denver, CO.

Woods

Explorer
I built my frame out of 1X2 120 wall (1/8") tubing. I've not been gentle with it and it's doing fine. It was a little more engineering, but saved some weight and it's strong where I needed it to be strong. Check my sig for a link to my build thread.

Im trying to keep it as light as I can. Can I use 1/8" or do I have to use 3/16"?

tmmoll

Woods, I was just reading your post yesterday. Love your trailer. Yours was one of the trailers I was going to build mine like.

Another consern is I also need to pull it with my gmc canyon with the crappy 3.5L. Not alot of power at all. This truck will have the 5.3 swap as soon as my wife is done with school.

tmmoll

Can someone give me some info on a onboard water set up? Im looking at getting a 26 gal poly tank. I would like to keep the trailer floor open so I can use it as a actucal trailer when I need to. What do you think about receccing the tank between the frame rails? Im also looking into a freezer/frig to mount to the front of the trailer. So shoud I put the water tank in the rear to offset the weight of the freezer?

Woods

Explorer
I mounted my water tanks over the axle. That way the tongue weight doesn't change when they are empty or full.

Can someone give me some info on a onboard water set up? Im looking at getting a 26 gal poly tank. I would like to keep the trailer floor open so I can use it as a actucal trailer when I need to. What do you think about receccing the tank between the frame rails? Im also looking into a freezer/frig to mount to the front of the trailer. So shoud I put the water tank in the rear to offset the weight of the freezer?

Woods

Explorer
Depending on what type of wheelin you do, the point where you'd fold it at, is very close to the point where the frame is under the most mount of tress. Anything can be designed and built. It's tradeoffs that you're asking about. The trade off is between strength and weight. It's hard for me to offer an opinion, because I don't know how important the space saving is to you.

Be fine with what????

What do you guys think about making the tounge foldable for storage?

tmmoll

Well, I dont plan on doing wheeling any rock gardens, but maybe just some moderate off road. It will be used mostly on pavement or dirt trails, but I would like the option to go "off the beaten path".

Here is a pic kind of what Im going to be setting up.
imagesCA302OJE.jpg

Exept I will be running some c-chanel down the center of the trailer all the way to the tail, and it will have a solid frame in the back. Where the triangle meets the rectagle frame is where I want to put hinges on there and some kind of latch system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles