Questions on trailer build

tmmoll

Im planning my off road trailer build. I have a pretty much stock engine in my JK unlimited. Will the 1/4 ton trailers that are out there going to be to heavy for me? Especially off road? As most JK owners know, they are really under powered. Sometime in the future there will be a supercharger on there, but that will have to wait.

For the trailer, I will be putting a custom slide out, tent and gear in the trailer. No to mention all the stuff and passengers in the JK. Any advice? I can build my own if the 1/4 tons are too heavy.

Septu

Explorer
As long as you're geared right, you'll be fine. Haven't towed anything off road, but did tow a mostly empty M101A (~1400 lbs) down the highway with absolutely no issues.

Rubiconcruiser

Rubiconcruiser
Your JK is more than sufficent to tow the Military style trailers, my jeepin partner has a JK with an M100 behind it fullly loaded and only on the most extreme grades does he have issues, mostly overheating, gearing is stock for the Rubicon, works well just dont go crazy and overdo it as we all have done LOL..

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The military pulled the 416 trailers through all kinds of terrain with 4 cylinder Jeeps.
You should have no problem.

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
x5

You can put your mind at ease. You will be 100% fine. Few weeks ago I got back from a trip up to Drummond Island and Silver Lake, pulling a trailer weighing 790 empy; 1500lbs loaded. It was 1481 miles of highway and trails and I have a 4dr JK w/ the anemic 3.8 and auto.

Of course if you want to use this as a "reason" to do a hemi conversion, then I'm all for it!!!:smiley_drive:

Safe travels,
Jason

Attachments

• drummond1.jpg
    drummond1.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 12
  • drummond2.jpg
    drummond2.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 15
  • drummond3.jpg
    drummond3.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 12
  • drummond4.jpg
    drummond4.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 17

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the trailers but I grew up with Little House on the praire.

When I see "Manley" I think of Almonzo Wilder.

Sorry It just pops in my mind.

Do you have more info on the website?

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
I like the trailers but I grew up with Little House on the praire.

When I see "Manley" I think of Almonzo Wilder.

Sorry It just pops in my mind.

Do you have more info on the website?

It's ok, it was a long process to decide on a name and at first it seems weird, but as the branding catches on, it will seem more natural. We wanted something unique. Manley (with an E) is actually my last name :ylsmoke: so it hopefully makes more sense then just saying our trailers are MANLY!!! haha

Most of the info can be found on our www.Facebook.com/ManleyORV page for now. We are doing a soft launch and once our inventory is where I would like it, we are going to turn the website live and start advertising. That should be Oct. 1st. I just made a post today that explains where we are at in the process.

-Josh

tmmoll

Well as far as the HEMI swap, xtreme 4x4 did a comparison on a hemi powered jk vs. a supercharged jk. The supercharged made more power at the wheels and was about 1/2 price. Is there any surplus places that I can pick one up on the cheap? I see them all the time on CL, but people want a crap tone of money for a rusted out POS.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I towed mine loaded with my 5 cyl H3 down a trail, it wasn't long but I barely noticed it there. Longer grades I did though.

My M416 getting towed by my Willys in the trails with a 225V6. It was a trail cleanup, so the trailer was full of trash, tires, and steel.

SV100641.jpg

IIRC I was on the throttle hard, :sombrero:

SV100642.jpg

SV100643.jpg

tmmoll

After alot of consideration, I think Im going to do a custom build. Where do I get axles and springs for the trailers? I am going to run drum brakes with the trailer.

cwadej

just a guy
etrailer.com and trailerpart.com will have just about everything you didnt know you needed, and lots of answers to questions you dont have, yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles