Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The PW will need tires soon and I'd like to go bigger around and narrower at the same time. I have 295/70-17 Cooper STTs on there now --- I like that tire.
But, because the G4 PW is what it is, the tires rub the LCAs.
I'm not going to lift the truck or get new wheels. Not yet anyhow.

So that leaves 285/75-17. And there's only about 4 tires to pick from.

The Toyo Open Country AT II, Toyo MT, BFG KM2, and Nitto Trail Grappler.
And the Toyo ATs are the least expensive BY FAR...

Anybody ever use them much?
We roadtrip often, tow, get offroad but not into xtreeem situations. Maybe some light snow, ice, mud. Lots of street since I commute with the truck.

Airmonger

Adventurer
My dad has run toyo at's on hi suburban for a while now. He drives mostly highway and in snow and they have been good for him. They seem to last quite a while too. Not sure about off road performance, but I like them. Have you looked at the wild country xtx sports? I have those on my Tacoma and are my favorite all terrain aside from the cooper ST Maxx.

txflyyaker

Observer
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 285/75/17 (approx 34x11x17). I had the Nittos in the 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers and liked them so much that after they were worn I replaced them with the 285/75. I have a little over 5000 miles on them and are showing no wear at all.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 285/75/17 (approx 34x11x17). I had the Nittos in the 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers and liked them so much that after they were worn I replaced them with the 285/75. I have a little over 5000 miles on them and are showing no wear at all.
The Toyo tread looks much more substantial compared to the Nitto Terras --- I like the sidewall tread on the Toyos for our omnipresent mud in GA...

My dad has run toyo at's on hi suburban for a while now. He drives mostly highway and in snow and they have been good for him. They seem to last quite a while too. Not sure about off road performance, but I like them. Have you looked at the wild country xtx sports? I have those on my Tacoma and are my favorite all terrain aside from the cooper ST Maxx.
They have a 50,000 mile warranty...
Wild Country XTX Sport? Never heard of it. Available in 285/75-17?

98roamer

Explorer
I have them on my 4runner. I went from BFG AT KO to Firestone Destination AT and now have the Toyo OC AT. I read a lot of good reviews of them and I'm very happy with them so far. I would put them in-between the BFG and the Firestone on noise. As I was surprised at how much I do hear them (coming from a street tire) but I would say they are closer to BFG AT than the Firestone on the noise level. I feel the treat blocks at very slow speed, similar to the BFG AT and we didn't have enough snow last winter to really test them, but I've read they're good in the snow.

I was going to go with the Nittos but the price is pretty high and the Firestones were out of stock.

The 4runner is my wife's DD and our camping vehicle. Forest service roads is all it sees anymore, but I'm hopeful for more.

I have had to re-balance them three times since last November. it ends up after each major trip, Nov Oklahoma, Feb Florida, Aug Canada. I'm not really impressed with that.

Unless you stopped into my work I doubt we ran into one another. I saw you went through Shepherdstown, it has a nice facade. ... As far as the wild country sport xtx, I say stay away. They claim 50k but I have them on my truck and I highly doubt they will make it that far. The wet weather traction is abysmal but then again I had 2 sets of Dueler A/T Revo before these.

I checked the Multi-Mile catalog, it looks like LT285/70r17 or P275/60r17 is the max for 17" wheels.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Unless you stopped into my work I doubt we ran into one another. I saw you went through Shepherdstown, it has a nice facade. ...
Be nice; my great-great-great-great-great grandfather founded that facade...

I met a fellow PW owner at the gas station in Sharpsburg; thought you might've been him.
We went to Boonsboro also after spending some time talking to a cool guy we met in Williamsburg. He was in costume and a re-inactor from Boosboro; had the woodsman/trapper thing going on and really cool hand-made rifle.

I don't have much experience with ATs offroad. I've run the BGF AT, General Grabber AT2, & Dueller --- and hated them all...
I was just wondering if the Toyo product was any better or if I just need to bite the bullet and buy the MTs.

No I'm not unfortunate enough to drive a Dodge, just a lowly s-10. oh wait, be nice :)

Which Dueler did you have? They make/have made plenty of them. The original Revo's were great, had to replace them at 2/32 when the I could break loose at the 1-2 shift in the rain, these XTX sports do the same at 14/32.

I'm not the one to answer the question about the Toyo.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Which Dueler did you have? They make/have made plenty of them.
My buddy had Revos on his 4Runner and they were pretty good on the rocks and not horrible in mud.
But I had the bottom-of-the-barrel OE stocker Duellers that came on my Sahara. The sidewalls were nearly as thick as condem material. Horrible tire.

de5id

Observer
I had them on a Titan and loved the ATs great for the hi way but they re a little stiff for off road, my two cents. However i had the 10plys and I put more miles on those tires than any I've ever had something like 70-80k with regular rotating.

High_Country

Adventurer
I have a 2011 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 diesel. I too am in the market for tires and have decided on the 285/75/17's - nice increase in height without getting overly wide and robbing gas mileage and such. The tire size is great for the stock width wheel. AND, the Toyo's are at the top of my list - I am a research fanatic. I spend too much time researching stuff but am usually happy with the decision I made. A couple points I've found in my research worth noting:

Nitto and Toyo are owned by the same company.
The Toyo 285/75/17 are taller than the Nitto 285/75/17 (I think the specs read 34.1" for the Toyo vs. 33.8" on the Nitto).
Both the Toyo's and the Nitto's in that size are E rated - which is a good thing (some would say a must) if you are putting them on a heavy truck or are planning on towing.
The Toyo's have a higher load rating in that size - I think the Nitto is like 3195lbs whereas the Toyo is like 3700 or 3800 perhaps. Much stronger.
I think the Toyo's are heavier (probably a result of the higher load rating) and are reportedly pretty tough.

Anyways...for what it's worth. I think I'm going with the Toyo's. Good reputation for durability, overall performance, and longevity. (And of course, regardless of your choice, make sure you keep your tires inflated properly and rotated frequently for the best mileage).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Big Ba-Da-Boom

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Toyo Open Country AT2s....

50,000 mile warranty, 500 mile "no regrets" trial period.
The website now says 33.9" diameter though... ...not a deal breaker. Max load 3195 pounds. 3-ply sidewall.

And here's why I had to order them, at least a month before the end-of-life of my Cooper STTs.
I picked this thing up on the way home yesterday. It pierced my right-front tire at a perfect 90 degrees and left a hole that a Prius could drive through. Took 11 rope plugs to get me rolling again; I needed the big lock-jaws to pull it out too. I couldn't have put this thing in more precisely if I had set it on a bench and done it on purpose.

10FD6C83_zps9413f57d.jpg

6EE5B4A8_zpsd2cd65be.jpg

CC0D1C89_zps9f94ad1a.jpg

98roamer

Explorer
And here's why I had to order them, at least a month before the end-of-life of my Cooper STTs.
I picked this thing up on the way home yesterday. It pierced my right-front tire at a perfect 90 degrees and left a hole that a Prius could drive through. Took 11 rope plugs to get me rolling again; I needed the big lock-jaws to pull it out too. I couldn't have put this thing in more precisely if I had set it on a bench and done it on purpose.

10FD6C83_zps9413f57d.jpg

I picked up something similar in my work van years ago and our tire guy ended up putting a tube in the tire and a patch over the hole. I had them move it to the back axle rather than up front steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles