Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II

Allof75

Pathfinder
To update this thread:

I was able to get 46k out of my 245/75r16 AT-IIs. I replaced them not out of lack of tread, but they began to howl too loud for my commute. Maybe I'm sensitive, but it was too much, add to that the fact that their feathering gave me quite the wobble at 55, and I replaced them with Cooper AT3s in the same size.

That said however, they provided very confident and predictable traction on all kinds of surfaces, and I'd absolutely recommend them again. Never got a flat, and they handled pavement well for what they were, insanely long tread life. Plus, I think they looked good, and their pricing is reasonable. So generally speaking, if you're looking for a DD tire that's different from the norm, this is a strong contender.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Old meets new
20150129_191810_zpsm72ycrxq.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Those generals look horrible for any wet or snowy conditions however. The TOYO looks a lot beefier than I remember. new tread recently?

dogcar3

Observer
I have the AT2 Extremes in 285 75 17. I have seen dry pavement, dirt and gravel roads, mud, snow and ice both on and off road. Did some nice snow wheeling climbs. And through everything they have been amazing. By far the best tire I have ever experienced. I drive a 2012 Power Wagon.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
How long did those Generals last you? I don't know anyone that has run that tire, but it looks like you got all they had to give.

Why did you choose the Toyo AT II?

Well, They've been pretty much done for the past 5k or more miles haha. But I made it nearly 60k with them. Half of that was absolutely horrible. But unfortunately I wasn't able to pick up a set of tires before these ones wore down.
While I was not a fan of the tread, and will never buy the tire again because its probably the worst tire I've had...It truly was insanely durable. At time it seemed bulletproof. This had its cons though. I could air down to 20psi and it would still drive like a brick because the sidewalls were so stiff and thick.

I went to the Toyo to gain back some driveability. The truck is still my part time daily driver and I cannot stand loud tire howl. The toyos are 10lbs lighter PER tire, one inch narrower, and currently only 1/4" shorter (despite being spec'd at nearly an inch shorter in the catalogs) Obviously one tire is new, one is bald...but the depth is supposed to be 17/32" so even if I ran the toyos to the indicator I would still be less than an inch shorter than the 35" General.

I initially really wanted a set of Cooper St Maxx. I've been eyeing an all terrain with an aggressive pattern and a bit of lug spacing. I had talked myself into the coopers for months. And when it came time to pull the trigger on tires last week, I found the Toyo for 300 cheaper for the set. I couldn't say no. I will still be getting the ST MAXX for my 4runner as it is offered in a 255/85 option, so hopefully I can get some head to head comparisons for myself for the future.

Those generals look horrible for any wet or snowy conditions however. The TOYO looks a lot beefier than I remember. new tread recently?

This is another huge reason for buying the Toyo. There is factory siping, the tread designs is much better for quietness, shedding water, and helping me keep the rig planted in inclimate weather.
Despite being called "grabbers" the general tires I had offered the worst off road performance of any tire I have run. They were really good at one thing (smooth soft dirt) but in the rocks, in the wet, on the street they left much to be desired.
I've come to appreciate my rig as a more multipurpose vehicle and am trying to gear it in that direction rather than just being a going fast in the desert queen

The tread is slightly beefier than some of the Toyo AT2 you may have seen...Toyo offers a select handful of sizes in "extreme" The have larger lug spacing, 1/16" deeper tread, and a bigger sidewall bite...but otherwise its the same exact tire.

kojackJKU

I wasn't going to rip them a new *******, but yeah. The Grabbers are crap. You just have to look at the tread. Huge blocks, no siping. NO TRACTION. They even LOOK down right scary. Good choice on new tires. I think multi purpose is the best way to have anything.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
The general has their purpose and may work for some...they just weren't for ME. I hate to bash them so much and be negative about them but that was just my personal experience. Some swear by them.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Well, They've been pretty much done for the past 5k or more miles haha. But I made it nearly 60k with them. Half of that was absolutely horrible. But unfortunately I wasn't able to pick up a set of tires before these ones wore down.
While I was not a fan of the tread, and will never buy the tire again because its probably the worst tire I've had...It truly was insanely durable. At time it seemed bulletproof. This had its cons though. I could air down to 20psi and it would still drive like a brick because the sidewalls were so stiff and thick.

That was very informative tire post. Good to know a tire's shortcomings, even if they are many.

Too stiff and too long-lasting are certainly potentially bad things… new treads are so nice. :)

I initially really wanted a set of Cooper St Maxx. I've been eyeing an all terrain with an aggressive pattern and a bit of lug spacing. I had talked myself into the coopers for months. And when it came time to pull the trigger on tires last week, I found the Toyo for 300 cheaper for the set. I couldn't say no. I will still be getting the ST MAXX for my 4runner as it is offered in a 255/85 option, so hopefully I can get some head to head comparisons for myself for the future.

255/8x S/T MAXX is a cool tire, loving my set on my 4Runner.

Surprised the Toyos were $300 less for a set, most places I've shopped I think the Toyos were more expensive and Cooper less for the same size, but that varies by vendor and likely region.

The tread is slightly beefier than some of the Toyo AT2 you may have seen...Toyo offers a select handful of sizes in "extreme" The have larger lug spacing, 1/16" deeper tread, and a bigger sidewall bite...but otherwise its the same exact tire.

I dig the Xtreme tread version, even if the name is an exaggeration. The added void is welcomed, though they do hum some.

kojackJKU

Here, the RED LETTER grabbers are cheaper than most all other brands etc. I know the difference between the AT2 (really good tire), and the RED LETTER grabber (total crap for DD rig). The AT'2 are cheaper again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior