Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Document your rotation and rebalances. The vendor should prorate them. Mine seem to be doing fine and my rig weighs 8650#. Prior to these I had Toyo MT's. Sold them to a friend as I wanted a much quieter tire. They had 11/32" @ 19K.
Doing that.
I'm going to replace at 5/32" ---- Discount Tire will take care of me. It's a nice shop with good people.
These tires would've been great on my Jeep...

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
i have these on my F250 in size 305/55/20, they are nice but im going up to a 35" Toyo Open Country M/T, so i will be selling mine soon, which have less than 5000 miles on them.

533941_10201700079002591_1717552092_n_zps2ffaf6f9.jpg
IMG_1552_zps868d6546.jpg

Last edited:

E.J.

Explorer
Walked out to the cartruck today and discovered this on the sidewall on one of my General Grabber A/T2's.
1231216_690967960931837_2144835231_n.jpg
These have been on the car a little over 30k miles, no biggie. So shopping for tires I notice that the smallest Toyo Open Country A/T II happens to be the largest size that will fit my Foz so I pulled the trigger on a set.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Doing that.
I'm going to replace at 5/32" ---- Discount Tire will take care of me. It's a nice shop with good people.
These tires would've been great on my Jeep...

That is good to know.

I ran a set of the Toyo Open Country AT's (1's I guess) on my Dodge Dakota 2WD. They were an excellent tire, great in the snow with some weight in the rear, and had superb wet traction. Sadly I sold the Dakota after only about 15,000 KM's so I did not know how they would wear. I picked up a used set at about 90% tread for the Cherokee and was SHOCKED at how quickly they wore out? In 1.5 years of mainly road they blew through 50% of the tread? What?

I asked a few people about the AT2 Toyo AT's and heard good things initially. They look a lot burlier, and I love the new side biters, but it sounds like they are still a little light on longevity? I am looking for new tires for the Jeep WK, and have decided on the Cooper AT 2 or the Hankook AT, but those Toyo's still intrigue me. I have Hankook MT's on the XJ and their Optimo "All Weather/All Condition" tires on our Caravan. LOVE the Hankooks, fantastic tires...cant say enough good about them.

How happy are you all with the tread life of the Toyo AT2?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ not! My GY MT/R Kevlar's wore better. The only reason I gave Toyo another chance on AT's is because of their treadwear guarantee. Hopefully it won't be a hassle...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I am a big fan of the A/T-IIs- third set on 3 different vehicles.

I have aset of 285/75-17s if someone wants to save a few $$, off my '13 F-150 (sold it), 5k miles. PM if interested... In fact, will list them under vehicle parts too.
Just bought new 315/75-16s for the Excursion- great all around tire, and very quiet to boot!!

VanIsle_Greg

They're wearing pretty fast ---- counting on the treadlife warranty to supplement the gap in longevity.
They won't make it to winter.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like pretty much the same experience I had with my last set of the original AT's, good tires but the wore very fast, too fast.

VanIsle_Greg

Good point, thanks for the info. It makes sense getting substantially poorer wear on the big heavies when compared to a much lighter vehicle. Still, the original AT's sure wore fast on my XJ.

Glad to hear you are having good luck with them.

Who cares if full size or tiny size thier E rated tires that have a 4 thousand plus weight rating. Wheather you are putting them on a full size or small size the damn things should be lasting longer.

Spresso and Bill,

My Hundy tips the scale at about 7800lbs loaded. Based on what I'm hearing from you two, the ATIIs just don't like that sort of weight.

Bottom line, would you buy them again?

Thanks, fellas.

wc

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Spresso and Bill,

My Hundy tips the scale at about 7800lbs loaded. Based on what I'm hearing from you two, the ATIIs just don't like that sort of weight.

Bottom line, would you buy them again?

Thanks, fellas.

wc

I like the AT and AT2's performance just fine. Having said that my usage is mostly gravel roads, dirt and rock trails with little to no mud typically (Nevada, Utah, Death Valley, etc.). The AT2 I'm running are E rated and 4,080lbs max load per tire. So at Toyo's rating I'm slightly less than 50% to capability. Based upon this aspect I shouldn't be wearing these guys out <20k miles!

And given the fact I've had two sets of Goodyear MT/R Kevlar, same size and same truck, go 30k miles + it just doesn't make sense why Toyo can't get more tread wear engineered out of an AT tire with significantly less void than the comparative MT/R. But, no doubt, harder durometer rubber would not perform equally. Pick your poison I guess :)

So, to answer your question, if Toyo fully honors their treadlife guarantee fairly then yes I'd buy them again. They're every bit as tough as the MT variant (Toyo) and significantly tougher construction than the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires. And the Toyo's are round ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles