1996 Topkick Megacab

delithic

Observer
The engine seems to have had a long run according to wikipedia:

The 366 Big block V-8 (6.0 L) gasoline engine was used only in Chevrolet Medium duty trucks and in school buses. It had a bore of 3.935" and a stroke of 3.760". This engine was made from the 1960s until the mid-1990s. The 366 used 3 compression rings on the pistons as it was designed from the very beginning as a truck engine. The 366 was only produced as a tall deck engine with a 0.400" taller deck than the 396, 402, & 454 short deck big blocks.

So parts should be available.

I hope you aren't headed offroad since its 2wd with dually wheels. Plenty of space inside although it seems a bit compartmentalized to where there isn't communication between the "crew cab" and the drivers cab or with the rear section.

I wonder if it has a PTO for a generator?

Clutch

<---Pass
The engine seems to have had a long run according to wikipedia:

The 366 Big block V-8 (6.0 L) gasoline engine was used only in Chevrolet Medium duty trucks and in school buses. It had a bore of 3.935" and a stroke of 3.760". This engine was made from the 1960s until the mid-1990s. The 366 used 3 compression rings on the pistons as it was designed from the very beginning as a truck engine. The 366 was only produced as a tall deck engine with a 0.400" taller deck than the 396, 402, & 454 short deck big blocks.

So parts should be available.

I hope you aren't headed offroad since its 2wd with dually wheels. Plenty of space inside although it seems a bit compartmentalized to where there isn't communication between the "crew cab" and the drivers cab or with the rear section.

I wonder if it has a PTO for a generator?

We had a dump version of that truck, but with a 2 speed rear end. It was a great truck. Had 4 wheel disk too. IIRC, fuel "economy" was around 5-7 mpg's.

As long as you don't do anything stupid, it is ok on graded dirt roads, could always do a 4WD conversion.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
We've got a Ford F650 at work that is similar to that GMC. It has a 7.0L gas engine and a 5 speed, but it is a 4x4. It is slower than molasses. It tops out around 65 mph at 4,000 rpm. It's loud and you feel like you got beat up after driving it. I had to drive it from Alabama to Colorado and hope to never have to drive it again and I like driving old jalopies. I couldn't imagine trying to take something that large off road for an extended period of time.
photobucket-7219-1327976952677.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne