New Member Fleetwood Neon Advice/Questions

BajainMD

Hi All, Kind of new around here other than posting some stuff for sale. Anyway, I looking for some input but maybe a brief introduction to explain. I currently have our Fleetwood Neon trailer camper for sale with the thought of moving on to a Westfalia. But current family situation - a newborn is kind of making that option cost prohibitive. We just picked up an Subaru Outback Wagon to replace our not so family friendly Baja and both will haul the neon easily. So after the long lead up - should I just keep the Neon and better outfit the box to make it more user friendly? I am a fan of simplicity and good function and I think the the spare bed/seat just does not function all the well compared to other things I have seen. So any thoughts? Anyone out there know of any good interior rebuilds on these campers??? Thinking of adding a small Vitrifrigo Fridge and reconfiguring the secondary seating/bed area. Our rig only needs to sleep two parents and a growing tike. So space should not be too much of an issue. Most interested in camp and go with minimal screwing around to get set up. Not going to far off the beaten path with a stock Outback, but would a roof top tent be better/easier or would I miss all the standing room for cooking and changing etc... Happy for any thoughts from all you travel experts out there. Camping with a little one is new to me!

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
BajainMD,

I currently have a off-road modified Neon (check the build thread). I use it mainly for me and my dog. I would think that the current set up would work perfect for a couple with a child. The parents sleep in the slide out and the kid on the side bed. I am guessing if the kid is not too big, you would not even need to slide the side bed out. Can you explain how it is not meeting your needs? I know somewhere on here (search neon) someone put bunk beds on the side to fit two kids. The Neon is supper easy to work on. It seems that it would be pretty easy to change the interior if needed. You just have to make sure nothing is higher then the bed slide. I have had RRT and ground tents, but the trailer is my favorite. The main reason is easy to get in and out of. A RRT with a kid seems more difficult and a higher chance of falls. I would recommend installing the fridge in the car. There are times I leave my trailer and having my food and drinks with me in the truck is great. It seems with a kid, having juice and snacks in the car would work best.

TexGX

BajainMD

Thanks for your input. I guess the thing that I do not like about the neon is the seat storage area seems semi useless because it can be pain to actually get in once you have other stuff/people in the trailer and cooking inside when the weather is bad is kind of cramped. I actually think I like the configuration of our Coleman Colorado better except for the fact that it was less rugged and 20 yrs older. Maybe there is a way to build a miniature booth dinette seat just like in that camper after removing the stock unit. Not sure what to think about the Fridge in the car as I got a good offer on a unit that is meant to be built in rather that the cooler style - just have to make sure it will fit underneath the sliding bed. Figure the built in Fridge could as be part of the redo of the camper. Other question - any thoughts about adding to the trailer tongue using or extended ball mount to be able to get the sliding bed open while still attached to the vehicle for quick overnights - probably need another 16"? Thanks

TexGX

Explorer
Don't see any problems extending the front enough to leave attached when deployed. On the seat, you could easily make the bed area a dinette.

TexGX

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Talk to this guy, StumpXJ.

CountryFriedWeekend2011367.jpg

He built this for him and the wife and all was well:

CountryFriedWeekend2011099.jpg

...and then Harper came along:

008-1.jpg

and humping up and down a ladder into the RTT lost its appeal.
So he got one of these and Stump-afied it.

NewYears2012015.jpg

009-6.jpg

Vanderpooch has a Westy and it's pretty neat; he camps often with his young daughter:

049-5.jpg

BajainMD

Yes, tiny people change everything and make camping more of a challenge at first I am guessing. I may just decide to hold on to the neon and rebuilt the inside to make it cooler and more modular. Not as euro but maybe along the lines of http://www.swissroombox.com/ components. Keep me posted if anyone knows of good threads of interior rebuilds as there is a ton already out there for exterior mods.

Pack and play. Train your little one to sleep and hang out in it. I have a 5 year old and 2 20 month olds. Kids need nap places. Camping, grandmas or otherwise. If you train them to sleep in a pack and play, they'll sleep anywhere for you.

Also another vote against the RTT, kids are messy. Sooner or later a diaper leaks or someone spits up, etc. do you want to deal with that in the confines of your RTT?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It will take a couple of years before the little one can participate and not need lots of attention.
Keep it simple 'til then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz