Anybody Waterproof Your RTT?

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have a Mombasa RTT that is on it's 3rd year of use. It has seen its share of thunderstorms and has always fared pretty well. I noticed this year though that there has been a few drips inside here and there. Nothing horrible but it is still happening. I got a gallon of waterproofing used on boats recommended to me by my buddy who is a manager at the West Marine I picked it up at. It is made by Starbrite and can be used on the nylon and canvas parts. I haven't tried it yet and can take it back if someone has a better solution.

I found an email address to Mombasa here was their reply:

One of the team management recommended to replace with the new rain fly if it is the rain fly issue, or the body shell if it is the body shell issue.

Thanks

I don't think I will be going that route.

Anyone else go through the process of re-waterproofing their RTT?

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
not sure on the mombassas, are they the thin tent like material, or the heavy canvas like the maggis? for my ground tent, i used a kiwi spray, camp dry, which i think it is a silicone spray. cotton canvases don't do well with silicone based sprays however. for those i use nikwax, which is water based.

compactcamping

Explorer
What I find with Mombasa's, or pick your favorite Chinese import brand, is the need for seam sealing some times. I use Gear Aid Seam Grip for both the PU coated polyester and poly/cotton blend tent bodies.

If you have a poly/cotton blend tent body, I use Aqua Tite brand waterproof when needed. I only do the sides because the fly keep the top protected. If you have a PU coated polyester tent body, leaks will be because the PU coating is wearing, peeling or has pin holes. For a small area, Seam Grip normally will fix the problem. Normally an external waterproofing treatment does little to help if the PU coating has a problem.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Thanks Scott. That seems to be some good info and much more than what they told me. My buddy Brian in Grand Rapids bought his Mombasa from you I believe. I would like to upgrade to a better RTT in the next couple of years.

compactcamping

Explorer
Been working with them for six years now, so I like to think I know what I'm doing :) If that is Brian with the Blue Hummer, yep, always getting nice pictures of his adventures.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Been working with them for six years now, so I like to think I know what I'm doing :) If that is Brian with the Blue Hummer, yep, always getting nice pictures of his adventures.

I think its a charcoal H3 but not positive.

We just purchased a new roof top tent from www.IronMan4x4.com. We love it! I went over the entire tent, rain fly, awning, and annex room with a silicone base waterproofing spray. On all of the seams, I used a seam sealer from McNett http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/newreply.php?p=1189970&noquote=1. Click on the seam sealer and waterproofing links. McNett is "the" tent and gear waterproofing product company. 'Hope this helps.

Thanks. I think I will go over the seems with a sealer too.

compactcamping

Explorer
They may call it charcoal, in pictures it normally has a blue tint to it.

Gear Aid is a McNett brand, same stuff. The seams to focus on are the four corners and the ones where is side windows awnings attach. I never do the roof seams.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I ended up picking up a gallon of a waterproofing by Starbrite recommended by a good friend that has managed the local West Marine for many years now. I asked my old boss from when I did auto upholstery for some tips(he now does almost all boat canvas work). He told me do the panels in 3 crossed patterns then spray the seems some afterwards. I got around to applying it a back in June . It has only gone through one major thunderstorm but seems to be working excellent so far.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Someone mentioned using Rustoleum's NeverWet 2-part system too but it seems like it would be a little bit much and would take several cans but who knows.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I trust my old boss's opinion on doing it. He has been doing canvas/tent work longer than a lot of these guys selling them have been alive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles