Needing some advice on a truck

Sharpline

Hello all,

I have been combing craigslist and other sites looking for a *very* budget friendly off road/camping vehicle.
There are a few I have seen and liked but I wanted the greater masses/more educated people’s opinions.

I have been intrigued by the Dodge Durango's price point and massively powerful motor.
How well do these hold up over the long run?
What kind of issues should I look for when purchasing a Durango?
There are a few with price points around $3000, and miles around 150k.

I would do a 2-3" body lift and probably a suspension lift at some time to fit 33-35" tires.
Towing a light weight (3000 – 3500 lbs) camp trailer or sail boat in the near future.

Is this a horrible mistake?

I have also been looking at:
Isuzu Trooper (second Gen)
Mitsubishi Montero (worried about the valve guides, most all have smoke that I have seen)
Dodge Ram

These seem to be in my price range, and capable vehicles.

Please advise.

Thanks!

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm a die hard Jeep guy, wish I could tell you that Dodge put out quality stuff, just can't do it. I had a '99 Dakota, 5.2L V-8, 5 speed manual, that was a miserable truck to own. Horrible fuel economy, minimal aftermarket support, something constantly going wrong with it. I was really disappointed with it.

Body lifts are rarely a really good idea, they usually create more problems than they solve. The lift itself is cheap (for a reason), once installed all of your shift linkage, throttle cable, parking brake cables, etc have to be modified to work properly. 35's on most any vehicle is really going to require regearing the differentials, both of them, also not cheap.

I tell as many people as will listen, get a well maintained stock vehicle, take it out and use it. Figure out what the vehicle won't do that YOU want it to do and modify it to meet YOUR needs. General rule of thumb, it takes three more modifications to make the first one work right!

Good luck!

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Mitsubishi Montero is a good platform... find a good one. That would be my choice of what you listed.

4x4junkie

Explorer
A friend of mine had a '02 Dakota (pickup the Durango is based on). 4.7L, auto (I think). I don't recall him having too many problems with it in the 2 years he had it, however he could never get past it's incessant 12 MPG and traded it in for a Chevy diesel pickup. The lack of aftermarket was another (2nd) reason.

If you want to talk "*very* budget friendly off road/camping vehicle", IMO nothing beats a early-'90s Ford Explorer or '90-'97 Ranger pickup. You often can get very well-maintained lo-mile specimens for $2000 or even less sometimes. The only caveat is to stay away from the automatic transmission if you can (or put a good-sized external cooler on it). The rest of the vehicle is quite solid & capable and is very well-supported when it comes to equipping them with lockers/bigger tires. The 4.0L V6 engine shouldn't have any issues towing a 3500lb trailer.

I agree on the statement about a Ford Ranger. I had 3 of them and saw them go upwards of 230+ miles without any major maintenance.

I like the Monteros, they are capable vehicles and the UN uses them for their fleet in Central and South America.

I had a first generation Trooper and liked that as well. It was light, dependable and capable in stock form. The only place I had problems with it was in the snow due to the lack of weight. I drove it from Phoenix, AZ to Guatemala and it served me well for the trip. If you get a second generation Trooper stay away, no make that run, from the 2.8 litre engines as these had major problems. You might want to research the 3.2 or 3.5 litre engines.

I would recommend you get a stick shift with either the Trooper or the Montero as they are not known for having power for towing.

Good luck with your search.

Kevin

Saiyan66

Adventurer
If you are planning on modding a Durango with suspension lift and such, I wouldn't recommend it. There is zero aftermarket support for these vehicles (found that out the hard way on my 03 Dakota). The wheel wells are tiny and the front IFS design is severely lacking. That said, if you keep one stock and run 31's they can be great trucks. I really did love my Dakota and I was able to get 20mpg out of the 4.7 V8 with a 5spd manual trans. Granted it was 2wd.

delithic

Observer
I would second the lack of a suspension lift, because keeping it stock with 31" tires will be more budget friendly than a lift kit and 33-35" tires. You could get a lot better vehicle for the same price as your durango, the kit, and the tires. (unless you already have the tires off another vehicle since they aren't cheap new)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Out of the ones you listed, I would go with a Montero. Too many issues with the Durango and plenty of mechanical issues. The one I wish I never got rid of which should be in your price point would be a 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (WJ). I searched and found exactly what I wanted. It was a base Laredo (beware the limiteds with their problematic electronic climate control. Look up "blend door issues") Mine had the bullet-proof 4.0L Inline 6 and the tow package which gave me 3:73 gears and it had the Selec-Trac 4WD system which allows for a 2WD mode. There is plenty of aftermarket support and I found mine with a 2.5" OME Lift and 32" Mud-Terrain did wonders off road. Good luck in your search!

To you guys with the high mileage Rangers.... were they they NA version or the World versions? If N.A. Versions, which engines were you abloe to get 230,000 miles out of? the 3.0 or the 4.0? I only ask cause my current vehicle is a Explorer with a 4.0L... :p

4x4junkie

Explorer
To you guys with the high mileage Rangers.... were they they NA version or the World versions? If N.A. Versions, which engines were you abloe to get 230,000 miles out of? the 3.0 or the 4.0? I only ask cause my current vehicle is a Explorer with a 4.0L... :p

N.A. for me (probably for ExpediT-100n too, being he's in Colorado)

My Bronco II is approaching 180K and runs like a champ (2.9L), a buddy of mine has a '93 4.0L that turned past 200K I think about a year ago (unsure his exact mileage now). I drove it about that time and it could've easily been mistaken for a truck having 80K miles.

My own '94 ranger is only 106K miles young, so nothing really spectacular to report about it other than so far so good (just some piddly items such as an O2 sensor replacement at 80K (fouled by a K&N air filter :rolleyes: running a paper one now), a new brush kit in the alternator (running lots of electrical loads), and a new idler pulley bearing). The dash & paint have seen better days though (deteriorating in the hot summer sun, never really been garaged :( )

I thought I recalled a thread on the forum at TRS a year or two ago where people posted the highest mileage they had on their Ranger (RBV) and someone had like 769K on a 2.9L, although it seems to be eluding me for some reason... I did find this example of over 500K on a 4.0L though.

mudmony

Observer
I agree on the statement about a Ford Ranger. I had 3 of them and saw them go upwards of 230+ miles without any major maintenance.

I like the Monteros, they are capable vehicles and the UN uses them for their fleet in Central and South America.

I had a first generation Trooper and liked that as well. It was light, dependable and capable in stock form. The only place I had problems with it was in the snow due to the lack of weight. I drove it from Phoenix, AZ to Guatemala and it served me well for the trip. If you get a second generation Trooper stay away, no make that run, from the 2.8 litre engines as these had major problems. You might want to research the 3.2 or 3.5 litre engines.

I would recommend you get a stick shift with either the Trooper or the Montero as they are not known for having power for towing.

Good luck with your search.

Kevin

Agreed,, purchased a new 89 trooper and had not 1 issue, lots of room, took it every where, the thing wouldnt stop, sold it in 98 only because it didnt have a/c, great vehicle but dont plan on towing anything

3.0 and 2.4. I had both and found that the 3.0 did not have a lot of seat of your pants off the line feel to it. It kept speed going up steep grades and towing and only returned 1 mpg less on the highway than my 2.4 did.

Kevin

rabbit91

older explorer 91-94 would be a sweet cheap expedition vehicle, lots of room, and easy to lift 5inches. a little newer explorer 95-01, dont get the SOHC motor, lots of problems with it and the trannys. go for a V8 with more power and better tranny. Also some came with 4.10 gears, pair that with the V8, should push 33s no problem.

General Automag

Adventurer
What about a Chevrolet or GMC 1999 - 2006 1/2-ton extended cab or 4-door trucks? The 5.3L engine is excellent, the ride is very quiet and comfortable, the 4WD system is decent, towing is great, reliability is good, factory and aftermarket parts are readily available, and the mileage is respectable at 13-18 mpg. We really like ours and have had no issues with it. They are affordable if you can find one in decent shape for sale. People tend to hold on to their trucks, so sometimes a good used one is hard to find, but they are affordable and reliable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier