Need Pre Purchase advice - 98 Montero Gen 2.5, 140K, Winter Package - $2,000

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I had never even considered a Montero until I saw some videos on here of a group running an overland Rally in NV. I'm sold, I had no idea the specs these vehicles have from the factory. Very impressive, I'm surprised they aren't more popular... why aren't they?

Anyway, I test drove a 1998, 140,000 miles, Winter package (Rear Locker, heated seats etc). It has a straight body, the rear bumper has been hit, and a small ding on the hood... nothing to write home about. Interior has definitely seemed better days, doesn't look abused, but certainly looks neglected. My concerns are with the emissions/exhaust system. The current owner recently had the rear exhaust manifold seals replaced, but thinks the cat needs replacing. Get up and go is definitely sluggish, and it does feel restricted. All fluids have been replaced within the past 2 months. No check engine light, I haven't ran a scan to see if there is anything logged in the computer.

What are some common issues that would cause the engine to feel rather gutless? It doesn't seem to run rough, engine is quite, doesn't idle high etc. The price seems fair at $2,000 given its condition.

Is it worth having a PPI? Is the price good enough to just go for it? Like I said no check engine light, and I took it for a test drive everything seemed fine other than a lack of get up and go.

My goal with the vehicle is to build an overland travel weekend warrior. I intend to put a small body lift, 33X10.5, winch bumper, sliders, and a rear bumper of some variety. I want something I won't have to worry about out in the boonies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Hope to be a part of the Mitsu community soon :D

off-roader

Expedition Leader
H... why aren't they?

Mostly poor marketing by Mitsu Motors NA. They've always focused on the segment where they were weakest when it comes to 4x4's.... i.e. trying to compete with Tahoe's and Suburbans when they should have been going after Jeep, Landrover, Landcruiser by showing everything related to their Dakar heritage IMHO.

mk75

Adventurer
Ok I'm still a FNG when it comes to these Montero's on the mechanical side of things. There is a bit of a learning curve. I bought back sevral months ago a 99 Monty 2.5 "winter pakage,loaded" with a 165,000 and counting. Doctors wife and did not seem to have been driven off road. So I thought I got a great deal ! Since owning this montero I have had to make a few repairs along the way. If you go into buying one of these be prepared to spend some money to bring your rig back to spec . So this what I have had to do since owning my rig.

1.crank seal was gushing oil at an insane rate. " The crank pully was installed wrong when someone did the timing belt and sheared a pin and various other things "
2.Oil pan gastket
3.Valve cover Gasket

4. Most recently the crank shaft senor went out .. So now lots of labor for a 50.00 part .. I had a choice to make? Spend like 300.00 with my friendly and reasonable mobile mechanic to replace just the crank shaft sensor or keep putting up with little problems as they seem to keep coming up.. ??? Well it got me to thinking " well since I have to tear off the top of the motor to get the sensor anyway I might want to consider doing a top end rebuild as there is some shared labor.. So I went for it and pulled the trigger on the rebuild . Anyway my point to all this is for 2000.00 be prepared to put some money into the motor.. Read and read some more http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/ http://http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/

So as you can see this is has just been my personal experience . If you want I would be happy to share links etc . I'm in the process of setting this rig up for overland use . Overall I think these are well engineered rigs and alot of bang for the buck ...

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Better than the Mitsubishi links page is 4x4wire. Play close attention to the FAQ page On the 'wire.

My 96 SR with 160k was only $1350 and within a few hundred miles of owning it, i threw on 35" tires and i dont drive it like a grandma, but as one would expect ive had to do some maintenance items...

I've preventatively done...
1- full fluids r&r. EVERYTHING... $250
2- r&r the timing belt and ancillary parts (timing belt lasts 60k-100k) $700-800
3- a proper tune up (100k iridium plugs) $700-800

Ive had to fix
4- a failed original starter and alternator $250

I still have to do...
5- valve guide seals $700-800

That said its been very reliable considering the age, mileage, and my occasionally aggressive driving style.

HTH

cap510

Adventurer
Because the people that run this forum like many other forums out there have brand preferences, I'll put any of my monteros in stock form or modified against any of the trucks mentioned in that article all day long without any hesitation.
A stock 94-96 sr montero will give those rigs a run for their money!

I'm just surprised it's not on the Top 10 used vehicles for Overland Travel... Even the Suzuki Vitara makes the list!!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide/351-top-10-used-overland-vehicles.html

Not even an honorable mention.

mk75

Adventurer
Another resource would be Pajero Owners Club of South Africa [url]http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/ [/URL]. I have been in-touch with a few guys from there and they have been very helpful in terms of saving me money" " what to look out for and when it comes to modding these guys really know there stuff and where to source parts , etc .. They send out a weekly news letter .. Anyway its worth looking around there site..

GrassCat

Adventurer
Quit complaining, we are blessed. The fewer people know what the Montero can do off road the better off we will be.

Let's just keep it to ourselves, in return we can buy them at a great price.

So MUM is the word.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Ha ha, Grasscat! Reminds me of my Donught story. When I worked at a Mitsu dealer, a good customer would bring donughts in once a week. In those donughts was one I really likes. So, I made the mistake of telling the service manager how good the raised maple one was. FROM THAT POINT ON I NEVER GOT THAT ONE EVER AGAIN BECUSE THAT LITTLE JERK ALWAYS NABBED IT.

Don't let our rigs become the maple raised donught of the suv world LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94