help find threads on m416 tongue receivers

oldboyscout

Observer
I'm looking for ideas to replace the lunette casting with a 2" receiver. I've tried all kinds of searches but the terms are too generic and bring up unrelated threads. Anybody have some to help me? Thanks much

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I would start HERE

It's not just M416's, but most have a pic of their trailer, then a link to their build.

If one looks promising, check out the build thread.

Also, look up user "Matt" here on ExPo. He is replacing the entire casting/lunnette/landing leg, with a reciever style set up.

Not sure if he's posted pics of that yet.

HTH!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Found Matt's thread, and he does have some pics up!

Click Here

IMG_0325.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
Here are some photos of the "shoe" I fabricated for my '46 Bantam T3-C. My goal was to use a "bolt on" conversion to a 2" receiver tube so that I could return to the original coupler for the rare occasion when I might want my trailer to be a 100% accurate restoration.

HPIM0135.JPG

HPIM0158.JPG

HPIM0133.JPG

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I'm looking for ideas to replace the lunette casting with a 2" receiver. I've tried all kinds of searches but the terms are too generic and bring up unrelated threads. Anybody have some to help me? Thanks much

Sorry to Highjack, but might you be selling you lunette casting?

oldboyscout

Observer
Thanks for the ideas everyone
I do want to preserve the original casting, so I'm sorry I'm not selling it TexasTJ. I may have a complete, but rough, M100 for sale though.

I called them about it. It like 58 dollars I think. Just ask them about the tongue braket adapter. It does not come with the reciever welded in. I had to buy mine own and have it welded in and after the fact I think I should have asked if they could weld one in for me but mine is working good so not really a big deal. Check out my build thread for the M101a2 I have going. I'm trying to make a large size M416.

Good louck with the project.

Robert Walker

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Here are some photos of the "shoe" I fabricated for my '46 Bantam T3-C. My goal was to use a "bolt on" conversion to a 2" receiver tube so that I could return to the original coupler for the rare occasion when I might want my trailer to be a 100% accurate restoration.

HPIM0135.JPG

Would it be possible to fabricate a similar hitch to this one by cutting a longer receiver tubing section vertically, and bending it to follow the frame angle so you wouldn't have to weld on ears?? Would there be any strength in it, or would it just break? Would it even be possible to bend the ears to match with this idea?

Robert Bills

Explorer
It's difficult to tell from the photo, but sections were cut from the receiver tube top and bottom with the sides heated and spread to form "ears." Additional steel was welded to the "ears" to add strength, then the assembly was drilled to match the existing holes in the hitch casting. There were different castings used during the production of the T3C. Some ended at the front of the tongue rails; some had a square protrusion. Mine is the latter. The small bolt seen in front of the chains goes through this protrusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles