factory Sprinter 4x4 in 2013?

haven

Expedition Leader
There was talk a year ago that Mercedes would start importing Sprinter 4x4s to USA in the 2013 model year. Anyone know where this stands today?

snorkel54

Adventurer
In April the manufacturer rep at Sprinterfest East said a 4matic based system should be available in 18 months or so, which also coincides with the next gen 4 cylinder turbodiesel.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Anything new with this? I read elsewhere that it wasn't coming. :(

Still no love from Oberainger or Iglhaut.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Anything new with this? I read elsewhere that it wasn't coming. :(

I've had a decade's worth of about a half-dozen "solid," "any day now" rumors and we're still waiting for it to happen. About five years in, I changed from hopeful to "I'll believe it when I see it." It just doesn't seem Daimler thinks it's important.

Still no love from Oberainger or Iglhaut.

You probably shouldn't expect any. The word I heard (admittedly second-hand) is that MBz threatened to cut off Oberainger from their parts supply if any of their conversions turned up in the US. That's the reasoning I heard for why South Africa's Sportsvans had to stop offering their conversions through U.S. suppliers after only two conversions were done.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I've had a decade's worth of about a half-dozen "solid," "any day now" rumors and we're still waiting for it to happen. About five years in, I changed from hopeful to "I'll believe it when I see it." It just doesn't seem Daimler thinks it's important.

You probably shouldn't expect any. The word I heard (admittedly second-hand) is that MBz threatened to cut off Oberainger from their parts supply if any of their conversions turned up in the US. That's the reasoning I heard for why South Africa's Sportsvans had to stop offering their conversions through U.S. suppliers after only two conversions were done.

Iglhaut responded; They don't sell kits or components and only install their parts at their facility in Germany. One could send a Sprinter over, but you're responsible for handling the import/export documents yourself.
This is pretty much what Oberainger told me years ago; no parts shipped outside the USA, they'd only install components on new Sprinter's.
There is a way around this, but would be a bit expensive.

cwsqbm

Explorer
It just doesn't seem Daimler thinks it's important.

From their POV, its not. The lack of 4wd doesn't cost them sales because no one else makes a comparable van with 4wd. They probably floated the 2013 rumor just in case Ford announced that the new Transit was coming to the USA with AWD/4WD (which it's not :mad:).

Blame our lawyers (liability - the reason we can't get even the parts here) and bureaucrats (certification costs make niche versions unprofitable).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Oberainger responded--they still have no way to modify the US vehicle's control modules to mate up with the Oberainger drivetrain mods.

imcolej

From their POV, its not. The lack of 4wd doesn't cost them sales because no one else makes a comparable van with 4wd. They probably floated the 2013 rumor just in case Ford announced that the new Transit was coming to the USA with AWD/4WD (which it's not :mad:).

Blame our lawyers (liability - the reason we can't get even the parts here) and bureaucrats (certification costs make niche versions unprofitable).

Has the no awd option on the 2014 ford transit been confirmed? This bums me out. Guess I have to go give ford a public flogging on their Facebook fan page...

They'll remember me from my no US ford ranger rant :violent-smiley-031:

cwsqbm

Explorer
Has the no awd option on the 2014 ford transit been confirmed? This bums me out. Guess I have to go give ford a public flogging on their Facebook fan page...

They'll remember me from my no US ford ranger rant :violent-smiley-031:

I've read it in many sites with credible insider contacts. Here's one.

The best proof that a FACTORY AWD isn't coming is that Quigley is going to make them, so at least its not as bad as the Sprinter, where Mercedes didn't allow its suppliers to sell here.

imcolej

Man this pisses me off!!! I simply can't buy a new ford transit, build it out and spend money on a 4x4 conversion. Why is it so hard to get an awd camper van without having serious cash!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier