Anyone here using the Ironman RTT?

60Dan

Explorer
Just got the green light from the mrs for a RTT!

I really like the look of the ironman tent with the overhang for the annex - seems to be on par price wise with the Mt hood RTT from CVT which I also like.

My search on here came up short.

Anyone using the ironman RTT?

Thanks!

rangerdogg

Adventurer
The tepui autana is almost the same which i have and they have a bigger one called the grand saban i think. Tepui tents .com. They all are almost the same. Good luck happy camping

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I had the pleasure of using an Ironman tent for 3 weeks straight recently when we went to Australia. A great friend of ours loaned us a Jeep Cherokee with an Ironman RTT & Ironman Fridge and we camped on the beach with wind, in the rainforest with rain and everywhere in between :)
I really like the overhang that protects the ladder and the pockets inside were well placed.

Personally I loved the heavy canvas of my Hannibal tent but that is a bunch more money. I think for the price the Ironman is a good tent. Just be aware that the lighter material (lighter than canvas at least) can make more wind noise which only matters if you live in a windy area.

enjoy

60Dan

Explorer
Great to hear thanks for the review. Yes a Hannibal would be awesome, but my budget won't allow for it

Just after I posted this a fellow expo member offered me a CVT mt hood at a price too good to pass up. So unless that falls through I'll most likely end up with a CVT after all

dblosch

Adventurer
I picked up an Ironman RTT in Florida the weekend hurricane Issac hit. I found it on Craigslist for $600. :wings: It was in basically perfect condition, and had been professionally "waterproofed" by a marine canvas shop down there. The annex had never even been out of the bag!! The tent is a great cost/value compromise. Construction is good, but the materials don't really compare to the heavier canvas tents. The only thing I intend to add right off the bat are some elastic straps with Velcro to hold our bedding in place when folding the tent.

My experience may be unique because of the "waterproofing," but in the 90+ heat and humidity, sleeping was nearly impossible. On the other hand, I had never been to Florida before, and sleeping outside the tent would probably have been just as stifling. I am really looking forward to using the tent this fall in the North Georgia hills for some trout fishing weekends.

A few observations:

In looking for a tent, I really thought I would want the covered entry and the annex since we have two dogs, and they could sleep down stairs. In practice, the covered entry cuts off a ton of air circulation, even without the annex connected. That weekend, the pup slept upstairs with us, and the big dog slept in the truck. The annex still hasn't come out of the bag. Again, this could be a function of the waterproofing. Regardless, my ideal RTT has always been the Howling Moon Stargazer. The ceiling vents could be a game changer. We'll see how the annex works out with this tent... If I don't use it regularly, I'll probably end up with a Eezi-Awn series 3. The covered entry just isn't a big deal.

On top of my truck, with the Yakima rack, the base of my tent is mounted at about 6'9" The ladder works without the extension, but barely.

The Ironman tent is 1.4 meters wide. I love my fiance, but the next tent will be in the 1.6 flavor, whatever brand it is.

The tent affects my gas mileage more than I had hoped. I dropped an average of about 1.5-2 MPG.

Hope that helps!

:wavey:
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior