Cricket Pop Up Trailer

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Pretty neat. Seems kinda like a more modern take on the teardrop with anti-radar faceted sides. I wonder what you do in the rain. Just keep it closed? It doesn't look super robust as far as true off-road use.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
It would be fun to see one of these in person. I have looked closely at the photos and they have a couple of interesting ideas.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
This is a very interesting take on a simple, lightweight travel trailer... And I like it!

It looks to be a very well thought out design, and a clever execution. Love the 'all that you need, none of what you don't' ethos.

The fitting out list is Snow Peak, MSR, Primus, Bodum, Engel, good to see the emphasis on good quality gear.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Pretty cool set up. I always have a touch of apprehension when I see RTTs or Pop-Ups that have the open side to the direction of travel. It is not that I think the latches will fail, but rather that I will fail to latch them. Wouldn't notice until the speed generated wind opens it up. Still really like the design.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow--love the execution. They really put a lot of thought into that one. It looks like a great alternative to the existing, compact camping trailer categories. Those structural beams with the holes in them look very aerospace-like. The designer's ties to NASA didn't surprise me.

I bet the exterior bevels are purely functional. I'm sure those bends increase rigidity by effectively turning the large side panels into several smaller ones, making them less-prone to stress-bowing. They may also have aerodynamic benefit. Often, sharper edges on trailing surfaces are more aerodynamic than rounded corners. The current Prius and Volt use sharp rear corners to help the laminar air flow quickly separate from the surfaces, reducing drag.

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Ok, this thing is pricey.
$14,330 for either version. The dual sleeping with the V shape weighs a bit more. 1376 and 1577 pounds respectively. For this money I would go a bit more and get a hardside popup. Different types of campers yes but for what I do I think something like a FWC is better for my needs.

Ramjet

Explorer
He's an ex NASA engineer that designed close quarters living areas. His ideas never made it to production. So, after having no success in seeing the idea come to life, he quit and started designing the Cricket. He has an off road version in the works. I've looked into and have seen them at OR in Salt Lake City.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Yeah, read his bio and how the Cricket came to life. I like the design and layout but it is spendy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior