1977 Apache Hard Sided Popup

fowldarr

Explorer
Alright guys, talk me out of it. I know it's not the most offroad worthy trailer, but the thing is just cool. Everything is there (almost) There are some cracks in the ABS (that can be repaired), most of the windows need replaced, the screens are mostly missing, one of the corner jack stands is bent all too he((,

Worst part, the gearboxes for the lift system appear to be missing, and who knows what else.

However, the guy keeps calling me and reducing his price by $50 increments. he is down to $250, but needs to sell by the end of the month. I figure I'd be about $500-$600 in needed repairs and then have a cool little retro camper. But that is based on what I can see...(there are always demons lurking underneath)

Anybody know anything about these?

mlaux

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Like everything else, Boats, Bikes, Trucks, they all need work and cost way more than expected.
But BOY ARE THEY FUN TO PLAY WITH! Wait until he says $100.00 and scoop it up!
Keep us posted on the recults.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'm familiar with these, I'm not expert to offroad campers, but I don't think the box will take much of a beating, so take it easy. Next is the frame, built for lighter weight you may want to beef up the entire frame, the only thin I'd allow to flex would be the axel. Heavier springs, maybe spacers would do. But why not?

If you can't get the parts for the lift you could easily fabricate one I'd think, at least to set it up and lock in place.

The wheel wells won't take a much bigger tire so you'd need to lift it, not sure it would be worth the trouble, just get good tires and wheels that would fit.

For 500 bucks, how could you go wrong if you can tow it home? LOL

Lizella Fella

If the gear boxes are missing, odds are the lift chains are gone too. You CAN get parts thru the above mentioned website, but they are very expensive.

I had a 1976 Apache Ramada that I spent and ***-load of money on getting the lift system straightened out, as well as repairing all the cracked ABS plastic. If you do decide to tackle it, DO NOT attempt to repair the plastic with fiberglass. It'll just peel right off.

Based on what I remember about the frame and suspension, it isn't made to go off road. reinforcements will be needed.

Just My $.02

fowldarr

Explorer
I would mostly use it for family camping, not anything major, forest service roads, etc. it is the ramada, which is big for a popup from the 70s. Should sleep all of us. I figure if I can get him down to $100-$150, I can sell it to someone for parts if nothing. Else.

TheThom

Adventurer
That's a good price. I have a big pop-up camper rebuild going. They can be fun, but parts get expensive. They can't be beat for family-friendly camping that (with some work) can go to most of the places you want it to.

Go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier