Thread: Adding 12 Volt system to a Tentrax

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    78

    Default Adding 12 Volt system to a Tentrax

    Anyone out there ever added a 12 volt system to a trailer, more specifically a Tentrax trailer? I am purchasing one and would like to add a 12 volt system with maybe a solar charging system. I'm not real great with that type of stuff, so if you have plans or a suggestions I would love to hear them.

    Thanks,
    Benny.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    To far from Nowhere
    Posts
    1
    i have yet to purchase one and just joined today but i have been looking at stuff offered by other companies and you can incorporate alot of the stuff from other campers into the tentrax from what i have seen. I plan on purchasing one on my return from afghanistan and plan to do the same as you. What i have found is http://www.adventuretrailers.com/ has solar system parts you can add. This is the route i plan to go.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NORCAL/NORNV
    Posts
    2,003
    The Tentrax comes with a 12vdc option and also has an acc. box/w diagram for additional 12vdc addition-

    I've modified mine to include an OPTIMA Gr 34 battery for emergency replacement of my Jeep battery, should it fail in the Boondocks and I've added a 700w inverter for stray AC needs-
    .


    I have a 60w solar panel/w 7amp controller to keep battery topped off when the trailer is disco'd and also provides power for my ENGEL 40qt cooler-



    I've added a spare tire holder/w spare tire--Tentrax doesn't come with that-



    Tentrax will provide a tent as option, but It's a little small, so I put an "Airzone" tent on mine



    The Tentrax trailer is an open book for modifications, so you'll have a ball and getta "Lock-and-Roll" or Max Coupler for your trailer hitch, I have a Pintel/Lunnette--"Lock-and-Roll" and spare "2" ball hitch--if I ever need back-up

    Good luck

    JIMBO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    N 31'51.208 W 106'37.435 New Mexico
    Posts
    898
    I have a 12v battery in a compartment on the side of my M416.
    I used a marine battery, keep it on a battery charger when not in use and to keep it charged while traveling I use a 7 pin trailer plug.
    I ran a heavy gauge wire, fused on both ends from my main battery through the 7 pin. When the trailer is plugged in it keeps the battery charged in. Remember to unplug it at camp so you don't drain it through the trailer battery while it's being used.
    The battery on the trailer I have used it to run a small 12v fan in the RTT mounted on the trailer , a 12v heated blanket & charged my laptop through the inverter while movies inside while it rained outside.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orange County, Ca.
    Posts
    556
    First you'll need to figure out what size and type of battery. So what will you be powering (what is the amp draw)? and for how long without recharge?


    Quote Originally Posted by squinko View Post
    Anyone out there ever added a 12 volt system to a trailer, more specifically a Tentrax trailer? I am purchasing one and would like to add a 12 volt system with maybe a solar charging system. I'm not real great with that type of stuff, so if you have plans or a suggestions I would love to hear them.

    Thanks,
    Benny.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    78
    Kai38,
    I plan to do the same as you are. I want to run a fan/light combo in the tent and a heating blanket when the wife is with me.

    Jimbo,

    I like the solar panels and inverter you have. I have a small inverter I use in the Jeep. This trailer is a blast. I have been playing with mods all weekend.

    Benny.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, Nc
    Posts
    93
    Jimbo-

    Did you mount your battery and solar charger in the dry box or the main tub?

    I almost did the dry box route, but wanted to see what we used space-wise on our first big trip to see what we could devote to the 12v system.

    I'm definitely going to add this is as I already have two foldable 65w panels (which I didn't bring this time) and we ran short on the fridge power. Solar would have closed that gap easily....
    1999 UZJ100 - OME Shocks & T-Bars. Slee Rear Heavies, Diff Drop. TJM T3 Classique Front Bumper, Warn M8000 Winch, Slee Rear Bumper with Dual Swingouts. Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack, ARB Simpson III RTT and Awning. Slee 2nd Battery Tray, Luna Dual Battery System. Outback Solution Drawers.
    2006 UZJ100 - Stock; Daily Driver
    2000 Jeep TJ - Mild Build for Beach Cruising

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NORCAL/NORNV
    Posts
    2,003
    Heh Heh, remember--I've had over 5years to play/mod my trailer, so the things I've done have worked out WELL-


    Quote Originally Posted by squinko View Post
    Kai38,
    I plan to do the same as you are. I want to run a fan/light combo in the tent and a heating blanket when the wife is with me.

    Jimbo,

    I like the solar panels and inverter you have. I have a small inverter I use in the Jeep. This trailer is a blast. I have been playing with mods all weekend.

    Benny.
    Yeah, I have a 300w inverter mounted in the back of my hardtop, for use out the tailgate end and here's a pic of my inverter/Batt mount on the front/driver side of the Tentrax




    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Boyd View Post
    Jimbo-

    Did you mount your battery and solar charger in the dry box or the main tub?

    I almost did the dry box route, but wanted to see what we used space-wise on our first big trip to see what we could devote to the 12v system.

    I'm definitely going to add this is as I already have two foldable 65w panels (which I didn't bring this time) and we ran short on the fridge power. Solar would have closed that gap easily....
    As shown in the pic above, the battery is mounted in an old race batt box (polished SS) I had from years ago and even though the Tentrax floats--the sealed OPTIMA will take water immersions without trauma-

    The 60w Solarpanel is freemounted, so I can moveit during the day to keep full sun exposure

    This shot is from 5 years ago, with my Xterra and being free mount, I can move the solar panel anywhere, even in the Sierra trees



    Good luck

    JIMBO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •